• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New SG model, the standard 60's GC exclusive

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Silver Supporting Member
Anyone else see this in the new GC mailer? An SG standard with a 60's slim taper neck, zebra BB1/BB3 and coil taps for $1299. Looks pretty cool.

openG

slidealicious
Gold Supporting Member
i checked on those the other day and their is only 1 in the Chicagoland area...i guess they aren't going to be mass produced, at least right now, from what the GC guy told me...

Fenderkid67

So i find all these coil tap gibbons odd. But it makes sense as people are molding em anyways, still, I'm a classic gibson guy, if i want a single coil i'll whip out my tele!:rotflmao

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I like it with the uncovered pickups. I had one a few years back, but I kept the chrome covers on. I wish now I had swapped in a pair like those in the picture. I might have liked it more.

Flat6

I have usually split my Gibson pickup coils via a guitar tech with push/pulls, its nice to see Gibson doing the work beforehand right out of the box. Also prefer set necks vs bolt ons

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Silver Supporting Member
Upgraded electronics are a nice touch, but the real attraction to this model is the 60's neck aimed to compete with the 61RI I suppose. So now the big difference between the standard and the 61 comes down mostly to the looks - big or small pickguard.......and considering the sticker price on this is $600-$700 less than the 61RI.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like the same setup as my white SG Standard but that one has an ebony board.

just_one_more

Gold Supporting Member
Gibson pickups that ship in factory guitars don't usually have all the conductors brought out so adding coil taps means opening the pickups and bringing a 3rd wire out. Not a big deal if you have the chops, but most of the guitar playing world is not like the TGP crowd. They buy a guitar and it stays that way, so having coil taps out of the gate is a good thing for those that want them. Add this to the 60s neck and it is pretty different then the current SG Std.

Rock Johnson

Upgraded electronics are a nice touch, but the real attraction to this model is the 60's neck aimed to compete with the 61RI I suppose. So now the big difference between the standard and the 61 comes down mostly to the looks - big or small pickguard.......and considering the sticker price on this is $600-$700 less than the 61RI.
But hell, the 61RIs go for about $1200 used.

whomad1215

Not a fan of the big pickguard, but that's just personal looks. I also personally dislike having one pickup that is 3x louder than the other, don't understand the appeal.

Flat6

A BB3 is not 3x as "loud" as a BB1.. it doesn't work that way - the relative output is probably 15-20% higher, which makes a good combination with the BB3 in the bridge

Top Bottom