New SG Standard On The Way

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stringrazor, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Anyone ever buy from HELLO MUSIC? I know they're an unauthorized dealer so no Gibson warranty. They listed a new SG Standard w/ rosewood board for $850 this morning so I couldn't resist and snagged the last one. It will be interesting to see if the board is actually rosewood or baked maple. I can return it if not satisfied or just turn it around. I should be easily able to sell it for what I just paid if I don't like it.

From the site:

What It Is: This is a Heritage Cherry, made in the USA Gibson SG that comes with a deluxe hardshell case, a 50’s rounded neck profile, 490R and 498T pickups, a mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fingerboard, and all the craftsmanship you expect from the Gibson factory.

Why this is a great opportunity: When Gibson introduced the SG in 1961, it was the replacement for the Les Paul. In fact, the first SG’s were called Les Pauls, but Les wasn’t too fond of the design, so Gibson renamed it the SG, short for solid body guitar. They have been in production ever since then, and many of the great guitarists from the 1960s adopted it as their main ride including Jerry Garcia, Carlos Santana, Robbie Krieger, Cream era Clapton, and Pete Townsend, and later famous users include Angus young and Derek Trucks. The SG has great upper fret access, fat Gibson Humbucking tone different from its Les Paul predecessor, and looks like the serious rock machine that it is.

Features:
    - Mahogany Top and Neck
    - SG Rounded Profile
    - Traditional Adjustable Truss Rod
    - Rosewood Fingerboard w/ 12" Radius
    - 22 Frets
    - Mortise & Tenon Neck Joint
    - Corian Nut w/ 1.695" Width and White Single-ply Binding
    - Acrylic Trapezoids Inlays
    - Mother of Pearl Gibson Logo with Crown
    - Vintage Tuners w/ Perloid Buttons and Nickel Plating
    - Nashville Tune-O-Matic Bridge w/ Chrome Plating
    - 490R Neck Pick-up, 498T Bridge w/ Chrome Covers
    - Alnico II and Alnico V Pickup Magnets
    - Black Top Hat Knobs w/ Silver Metal Inserts
    - Black w/ Gold Toggle Switch Washer
    - 2 Volume Controls, 2 Tone Controls
    - Red Finish

2. dangtr

dangtr Member

congrats!
    great gtr!
    put on yo' knickers and duckwalk boy!!!

3. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Hey! I know you.... :beer

4. amigo30

amigo30 Member

Congratulations on your new guitar!

You know though, that there are a lot more implications than "no warranty" when buying from an unauthorized dealer.

The very fact that they're "unauthorized" indicates a certain amount of shadiness to their character, and it affects the company that makes the product, it affects legitimate dealers, and it affects virtually every customer of the brand.

For the life of me, I personally don't see why anyone would buy anything ever from an unauthorized dealer. I guess everyone has different comfort levels.

5. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Simple: price & risk. There's no risk since I can send it back anytime within a year. I was actually not planning on buying a new one but buying used is a crapshoot - fakes/flakes/etc, and this opportunity popped up. The ones I saw available for sale/auction were about this price or more. I bought a new LPR8 in '06 from an authorized dealer and I've never talked to them since. Except for lack of warranty, which I wouldn't have gotten with a used one, I don't see a down side. It's not illegal. Authorized dealers and manufacturers don't concern themselves with my finances. As for hurting "virtually every customer of the brand", I don't buy that at all. That total BS.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I own an SG Standard too. I don't feel hurt in any way by your purchase. They're nice guitars. Congratulations.

7. dangtr

dangtr Member

i'm not hurt either...:horse

in fact,

i'd like to jam!!!:rockin

8. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

You need a trip to the left coast! :banana

9. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

What consequences do you see? I think there's room for unauthorized sales and really doubt it amounts to much. I don't think HM had more than a handful of SGs for sale at that price as the item was only up on the site for a very short time before it was sold out. With the kind of business Gibson does, unauthorized sales are likely a tiny drop in the bucket. Sure, they are in competition with authorized dealers but again, I have to believe the volume is so small that it's not going to drive anyone under.

10. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

Don't forget to post some pics when the guitar comes in!

11. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Post pics? Do we do that sort of thing here?

:sarcasm

Absolutely.....

12. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food

I was very tempted by that one. Congrats!

13. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Thanks! They must have only had a couple and they screwed up and it wasn't available at 9 when the email went out. I kept refreshing the site, watched the American Strat sell out and sent off an terse email. I gave up and concentrated on (gasp!) work. About an hour later I got a ping from a buddy who knew O was looking at SGs and I saw it was on the site. I got my credit card out and types as fast as I could. The order was accepted and I got a receipt and immediately the site showed it was SOLD OUT. I had to call to ease my mind that I wouldn't get another email saying "Sorry, SOL!" I was told my order was accepted and everything was cool.

14. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

An odd thought struck me as I was putting the R8 back in the case for the night: When the SG gets here and I leave the room, will the R8 be Woody and the SG be Buzz from Toy Story....?