New Short Scale PRS Singlecuts

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ParaGuitarMedic, Jan 27, 2007.

1. ParaGuitarMedic

ParaGuitarMedic Member

I'm really interested in this new direction they are taking. It is, in principal anyway, supposed to be a "vintage" Singlecut. Now that all of the lawsuit business is over with they can really break some ground towards competing even more in the Singlecut 2HB market. It is basically a SC with a Thinner Headstock, Vintage Output Pickups, and a 24.5" scale. Do you guys think that 24.5" is cool? I kind of think that a Les Paul was 24 3/4" for a reason. Maybe it won't be as muddy as I imagine as PRS's tend to sound more "nimble" to me than most Gibsons.
    I already have a McCarty (which I really need to post pics of) and I love the way it sounds. It takes my whole countrybloozerock thing really well. But, being a big Duane Allman (among others) fan I still really want a Singlecut shorter scale instrument. If this thing does, in fact, sound good and not like a muddy mess then my choice will be made: PRS All The Way! (for humbuckers only!

Opinions? Comments? Humerous Anecdotes?

2. gsr007

gsr007 Member

Anything to keep Gibson on their toes is good for us all...watch out Les Paul....:worried

3. Jason417

Jason417 Member

Both the SC250 and the SC245 are chambered, by the way, to make them lighter. They are a dream to play!

My PRS rep tells me they were trying to capture the vibe of an original Les Paul's 24 5/8" scale. As for the pickups, they are PAF clones.

The SC250 has covered Tremonti pickups. The factory was getting lots of comments that the Tremonti pickups were better than the stock Singlecut pickups, so they made the change.

4. sosomething

sosomething Member

I don't know about the market need for an even more Gibson-esque PRS singlecut, but..... I'm probably going to have to buy one of those SE One's. :)

5. JRenn

JRenn Member

That's really a great way to look at it!

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Member

Holy crap, this is like icing on the cake! I loved my Santana's short scale, but could never get along with 24 frets. Time to start working some overtime. Oh wait, I mean MORE overtime.

7. lbw

lbw Member

Is there any part of your post that is true?

SC250 and SC245 are NOT chambered.

Les Pauls are 24 3/4" scale length not 24 5/8". Yes, even in 1952.

SC250 does NOT have covered tremonti pickups. Infact, they don't even have covers at all.

8. slayer

slayer Member

Good news!! I prefer 24.5 or 24.75 scale guitars:AOK I also use 9-42 strings for a nice slinky feel. Jack.

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

10. Supasso

Supasso Member

Well, for what it's worth, my 2006 VOS Les Paul is measured around 31.25 cm from the nut to the center of the 12th fret. Multiply it by two and it's 62.5 cm or around 24.6".

I agree on all other points though.

11. ParaGuitarMedic

ParaGuitarMedic Member

No kidding man!
    People will say anything just to be the one with the answer.

12. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member

Beat me to it. I was going to chime in that Thorn is hired by Gibson to design the specs for the PRS 245 which has Brian May humbuckers in a bolton (I don't know it it's bolt on or Bolton) alder body with mahogany laminates setnecks on a fish scale.

13. Jason417

Jason417 Member

I talked to Joe Knaggs at NAMM about the guitars. This is what he told me. If you don't like it you can go play a Gibson.

14. Jason417

Jason417 Member

and you are completely right on the pickups. My bad.

15. ross

ross Silver Supporting Member

If you look at some info from the Stew-Mac link below. They state that the gibson electric guitar scale length has varied through the years from 24.75 to 24.5625 to 24.625 inches. The current Historics have the 24.5625 (24 9/16) inch scale.
    http://www.stewmac.com/fretscales

16. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I seriously doubt that the slightly shorter scale will make the guitar "muddier". I play Gretsches - the 6120 has a 24 1/2" scale (although sometimes they say it's 24.6") and I find it twangier than the 25 1/2" scale Gretsches.

Whatever the effect, I think it would be cool to compare the two guitars.

17. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Member

yes.......they are chambered, and have been for a little while now.

Have you ever measured a Les Paul??? Stew's quote is right on.....they vary a bunch. My 80 was 24.56"

The PU's are a re-voiced Tremonti's...... not as hot but hotter than the #7's and #6's currently used.The 245's PU's are re-voiced archtops..... and they sound KILLER !!!!!!!!!

Behold the test mule!!!!! This has the thicker headstock and locking tuners.....along with the adj tailpiece.

[​IMG]

18. Johnny1note

Johnny1note Member

19. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Ditto, brother. Watch it working....:jo

20. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Put a piece of food on the floor,and watch the rats circle...:messedup