New Solo Album From Ed Wynne OF Ozric Tentacles

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by freedom's door, Dec 22, 2018.

1. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Dropping Jan 18th!

The first time I heard the Ozrics (I was late to the party, started around 2000- some would say their best years were already behind them), I realized there was a band playing the music I had been hearing in my head for years, and it was possible to combine my love of electronica with my love of all things guitar.

I can't wait for this album- it's a safe bet even though this will be released in January that it will be my favorite album of 2019...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I got hip to Ozric while I was living in Germany in the early 90's.
    Become the Other , Jurassic Shift and Erpland still get spun in my Truck.

I look forward to hearing Ed's album.
    However , the clip posted in the OP sounds like Ozric to me.

freedom's door likes this.
  3. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I neglected to mention that OT provide my favorite driving music.
    When I was in Germany and often drove to Holland , 2 1/2 hours away , was when Ozric's music kept me great company.
    Today , when I need to drive for a couple of hours on the Interstate I still put on Ozric.
    Best driving music for me. :dude

4. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Definitely, especially the more recent albums. Which is no surprise considering that for a long time now, Ozric Tentacles has really just been Ed and whoever he has helping him out.
    Still digging it though.
    I really like the Nodens Ictus album he released a while back- that sounds like a bit more of a collective effort, even though the OT influences are still there...

5. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

Whoa, that's cool.

There was a period of about three years where Ozric always seemed to be in the area on my birthday, and all three of those years I ended up at that show completely by accident. One of those times you wonder about cosmic synchronicity haha. Great live show, too.

6. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Bump, since the album has been out for about a week now.
    If you're a fan of Ed's work with Ozrics and or Nodens Ictus, you will surely dig this!

7. Jonny1275

Jonny1275 Member

I gots me a few of their albums. The first one I came across thought the guitarist had some bit of Page influencing going on

8. ethereal cereal

ethereal cereal Wave upon wave of demented avengers... Silver Supporting Member

Great album, huge fan of Ed Wynne and Ozric Tentacles. His son Silas Neptune is a great talent as well and released a really good album last year and is also in OT.
    Ed’s synth work is just as impressive as his guitar playing and caused me to jump down the synth rabbit hole which is just as bad as my guitar addiction.

Jimi1983 and freedom's door like this.
  9. Silver

Silver Member

A ray of sunlight, thank you.

Not heard the album yet, but love Shim. Ed's a musical giant in my world. So influential over the years, and I always end up going back to Ozrics at some point or other. I got into them just before Become The Other, and saw that line up numerous times. Always fantastic. Much like @ethereal cereal they pretty much got me started in the synth world too. I must check out that new Nodens album. A few tracks on the first are among my all timers.

Great reminders all round. Thanks again.

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Another huge Ozric fan. Thank God I am poor right now. I also play keys and can only imagine how deep the synth rabbit hole could be....lol...

I have most of their albums, can't wait to get this one....

11. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I feel the same, and also always end up coming back to them. They really have something unique. Just like there is "Allan Holdsworth Music" which is it's own beautifully unique thing, there is "Ed Wynne Music" which is it's own beautifully unique thing. We should all strive for such an individual sound.
    And although I've heard people say there are similar (and influential) bands to Ozrics, none of the ones I've checked out (Hawkwind, Gong, Steve Hillage, System 7, etc) have that unique thing that Ed has in all his projects.

I hope he can get a band together and come over to the States for some gigs in support of this record.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Definitely, and if you don't have it, go to the Ozrics site and purchase the download of Nodens Ictus At The Pongmaster's Ball- that might be my favorite release from Ed in his entire career

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  13. Silver

Silver Member

I think, in the earlier days it was (quite literally) more a communal thing. My favourite albums if I had to choose are probably Erpland and Arborescence. The other members around that time, Joie, Merv, Roly, later Zia and Seaweed to a lesser extent, brought a lot to the overall sound of the band. I remember reading, for example, that many of the samples that gave a lot of the vibe to the sound were from DATs that Joie made travelling Thailand and India.

The thing about Ozrics and the other bands you mention, is that they captured and encapsulated a certain aspect of British culture of the time. Not entirely unlike the Dead in America tbf. It was a culture, a movement, a mindset. The post punk world in which punks, hippies, rock music, electronic music, reggae and world music all collided into a wonderful psychedelic mush, with the free festival scene and the rave movement acting as a sort of conduit. OT were born of it directly, pretty much. A great and exciting time to be coming of age, and a stark contrast in certain ways in comparison to our current state and age.

Please forgive my nostalgia :)

But yes, Ed's the man. Still standing tall, propagating a little light. Loving the guitar work on the new stuff I've heard so far. That astro-funk riff in Shim is fantastic, and pure Ed.

Aye, that's great. Joie too ;) A funny thing, someone I've known for many years, a freelance camera man and sometimes jamming partner is the guy who filmed the Pongmasters gig. I only discovered that last year, he kept it quiet! Watched again, checked the credits... Wow. Next time I see him I'll ask if it was him who was seen taping the Nodens set too. It never got released it seems, but it'll be intriguing to find out nonetheless.

Wyzard and freedom's door like this.
  14. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

I'm a huge fan of all things Ozric and Ed Wynne.

15. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Jurassic Shift was my initial exposure.
    I first thought The Police had gone all ambient jam rock.
    Then I looked closer and became a fan.
    Gonna check this one out.

S.
    j

sandcastle likes this.
  16. Madsen

Madsen Member

I picked up a few Ozric albums in the 90's & saw them live in 2004. Looks like they've recovered from the studio fire a few years back. Good to see they are still making music.

One of my favorites.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    freedom's door and Silver like this.
  17. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Madsen and Silver like this.