New Soloway guitar w/ P-90's & new neck profile

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Dana Olsen, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I played one of Jim Soloway's new offereings at NAMM, at the TGP breakfast. 27" scale length, Korina body, mahagony neck with 2 Pete Biltoff P-90 pickups.

The new neck shape, for me, makes the wider fret spacing simply disappear. It feels fantastic to play, and sounded incredible. I played it at breakfast at Baker's Square restaurant, so I couldn't exactly crank it, but it feels and sounds like a million bucks.

Congrats to Jim Soloway for excellence and innovation - this one's gonna be a huge success, IMHO.

Try it, you'll like it! Also, it was great fun for me at NAMM to introduce Jim to Terry Hagerty, guitarist for the Sons of Champlin and many others. Hag's one of the best ever, and he's also one of the very few folks in the world qualified to give Soloway player Steve Kimock 'guitar lessons', though at their level(s), it's more about sharing ideas than actual instruction.

Me: "Jim, this is Terry Hagerty, great guitarist who played with the Sons for many years. Terry, this is Jim Soloway, who built Steve Kimock's long scale guitar that he's been favoring lately."

Jim: "Oh, you know Steve Kimock?"

Hag: "Oh Yeah, he's my best student!"

All jaws on the floor (GRIN).

Great new guitars Jim - I'm stoked!

EDIT: Paul has reviewed this same guitar but in greater detail in this thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=341603

Dana O.

2. Dana Olsen

I may be incorrect on the neck wood - it may also be Korina - I'm not sure. The fretboard is cocobolo, methinks.

Really cool guitar.

Dana O.

3. diego

diego Member

That's the comeback of the year.

4. Dana Olsen

Yeah, super funny.

Dana O.

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

And you scared the crap outta me with your playing on that Soloway, Dana! I don't know what to call your style, other than killer. I could listen for hours.

That guitar of Jim's really did play and sound sweet - I like the new neck carve a lot. :)

6. Latif

Latif Member

Terry's an awesome player and a great guy too! What's the difference with the new neck shape? Hope to play one of Jim's guitars one of these days. The long scale seems like something really new to the guitar world. I've got very small hands so in my mind it sounds daunting but the feedback has been just the opposite.

7. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

The "old" carve is sort of thin and flat the "new" is closer to a standard Fender "D" shape. I like both shapes, the old is great for lead work but can feel thin if you do a lot of chording and wrap you're thumb over, around, the neck. At least thats how i feel.
    AND i own Fledgling #2 the one that DOES have mahogany neck (#1 has korina) and a Magassar ebony fretboard. It is a GREAT, great guitar as are my other two Soloways :AOK

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Thanks Dana (and all).

You guys have said pretty much all there is to say about the guitar itself, so I'll just add one thing...The guitar that Dana played is a prototype that I'm planning to use as ademo guitar for the next couple months (along with our new T-Type). I'm just organizing the first demo tour now, so if anyone wants to play this guitar for a few days, just shoot me or Cliff an e-mail and we'll make it happen.

And Dana, I'm pretty sure you could sound amazing on a pogo stick with a string attached.

9. Dana Olsen

A 27 inch string? (GRIN) I'm going to your website to 'get in line' for the demo tour of that guitar.

What a great axe! I gotta mention too that Jom Soloway is a bright, friendly, knowledgeable, personable enthusiastic fellow. Always a pleasure Jim. He's a hell of a guitar player too.

Thanks, Dana O.

10. mbrown3

mbrown3 Member

LOVE my Swan, and the move to the 27" scale really isn't a problem. The only thing that has to be adjusted slightly is bends...have to pull a little bit farther to get up to pitch. Since my other two electrics are 24 3/4 and 25.5, respectively, I run the gamut, and the bending was the only thing I noticed as a change. Otherwise, very easy transition.

With the original neck, it made my hands want to play jazz, and I actually preferred it for chords. For lead work, my hands would cramp a bit with the thinness of it. With the American Standard neck, my hands gravitate a bit less toward jazz (which I liked about the thinner one), but fit my hands a bit better overall. It's such a cool guitar that it doesn't really matter what neck you get...it's going to play and sound great.

I swapped out the Fralin P92s (which are great pickups, they just broke up a bit too early for me) for some Unbuckers, and I love them. Now to add BFTS and maybe some stainless frets, and this guitar will be even MORE amazing! :dude