NEW SONY mini disk rh910 recorder

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Cary Chilton, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Has anyone tried the new sony minidisk recorder? I am wanting to record my jams and make sound clips etc. CAn a a shure beta 57 (with the right adapter) be connected to it or not?

2. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

The drummer in my band has one and it works great. The Shure Beta 57 with an adapter should work, although a stereo mic would be better. He uses it with a Sony ECM-MS957 stereo microphone, which has a 1/8" plug. For recording live music use the Linear PCM Mode (uncompressed audio, CD quality) with the automatic gain control turned off, which gives you 16 bits/44.1 kHz. The only negative of the RH910 is that it utilizes SCMS (serial copy management system), which puts restrictions on copying digital files. You can only upload your analog-source recordings once to a PC, which is not a problem if nothing goes wrong during the upload. However, if there is a problem you can't upload a second time. Also, if you plan on recording gigs get the MZ-RH10 instead, which has a backlit LCD screen. They're basically the same device with the exception of the LCD display.

FVB

3. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

look up the m-audio flash tracker

5. KLB

KLB Member

Matt from Minidisco told me that the latest version (3.2?) of SonicStage software has been changed so there is no limit to the number of times you can upload a track. I don't know if tracks upload with earlier versions can be uploaded again.

I am going to wait until folks start getting the M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 and posting their experience.

I also want to see what happens in the next month or so from Sony regarding HiMD support. Sony is going through major restructuring at this time. I suppose because they own the rights to so much recorded music, they are somewhat "paranoid" about copyright infringement, hence the restrictions on use. That aspect, plus the mechanical nature of HiMD, make me hesitant to buy...