New sound clip added!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Jimmy Somma, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

A new sound clip has been added to the Sommatone website. The clip is a Strat through Roaring-20 1X12 combo w/reverb. It was recorded with garage band and an SM-57.

Jimmy's Blues

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Gosh. Great Strat tones, Jim. That's how a Strat should sound in my opinion.

Is that the "brown" strat with the Fralins? Still using Red Fangs?

Good as anything I've heard recently.

Best, Pete.

3. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Yea dude!! Testify!! That killed! Great tone and playing!!!
    dug the whole track and vibe.........solo built really nice, told a story......
    Amp sounds really great!

4. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

I'm glad you guys dig it!

Pete - that does happen to be a Red Fang in that amp... the strat is my red one built from old parts, 58' neck, early 60's body and Fralin vintage hot pickups. I don't think you've ever seen it... I don't keep it in the shop. I don't play it much anymore... the neck is too skinny. It does sound good but I like baseball bat necks now... the bigger the better.

The clip was inspired by two of my biggest influences... Albert King and Albert Collins.

5. babyblue

babyblue Member

i dig it!
    you play really good.
    some of the clips got me thinkig of drz`s maz sr, jr(not a negative at all).

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

Jimmy,
    That is a great clip - good music too.....last time I saw you you were going to try some different speakers in the Roaring 20?

Best, Pete.

7. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Nice one Jimmy!! Makes me want to fire up my sommatone!

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Man, JS - great execution, feels and sounds like the real deal. Restrained and tasteful! Great tones, really classic stuff.

9. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Im currently on a Rory Gallagher roll ( though i dont own a strat LOL ) and just this morning i was sitting on my ass transcribing "secret agent " by the great man and wondering if I should add a nice strat to my R9 .

Listening to your clip made me think I should do just that ......superb dude.

Jimmy:AOK

10. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

I've experimented with several different speakers from Eminence. I offer the R-20 combo as a 2x10 and I use the Ragin' Cajuns. They're an excellent all around speaker, great for blues and country. They offer tight bass strong upper mids and clear highs... no bitchy high end at all... some rock players find them to be a little too articulate... but with the right amp they can sound very british.

As far as 12" speakers go I like the Private Jack, Stonehenge and Screaming Eagle. The Private Jack sounds similar to the Red Fang but it has less high end chime, tighter bass and more punch.

The Stonehenge sounds like a later model Celestion, tight bass and a ton of upper mids great for single note playing. The combination of a Private Jack and Stonehenge in a 2X12 open back cab is awesome!

The Sceaming Eagle sounds like a cross between a Jensen C-12N and a Greenback, it's a great blues speaker, tight strong bass... very articulate but it doesn't have the crunch the other two have.

This is what I've experienced with my amps... of corse different amps will reveal different results.

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Well, Jim - I've kind of come to the conclusion that however good an amp sounds in a 1x12 format it always sounds better with a 2x12 (or 2 1x12's)!

Nothing scientific but I like a high degree of complexity in my sound and even two speakers of the same type provide that to a degree. Don't confuse my findings with trying to cover too many harmonic bases, however, like covering for a missing bassist for instance.
    You remember how you set up the TMB for that clip?

Best, Pete.

12. Jimmy Somma

Jimmy Somma Member

I think the bright volume was at noon, normal volume at 10 o'clock, master all the way up, treble was at 2 0'clock, mids at 1 o'clock the bass at 10 o'clock and the presence at 9 o'clock.

13. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Hey Pete.....I would have to agree.....I had Jimmy custom make me the roaring 20 in a 2x12......but I have him ordering me a cab to convert it back to the 1x12 just because I want it to be lighter and easier to make it a get up and go amp! Guess thats why he made it a 1x12 in the first place :jo

14. TS808

TS808 Member

That was freakin' awesome! Love the tones! Nothing like a strat. :dude

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

True. And Jim's 1x12 Combo is a natty little set to tote around compared to most.

Best, Pete.

16. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Hey Jimmy, Loved your playing and the tone! BTW, the cajuns are opening up nicely... so many tones in the R40.

Best, Ray