New Speaker Cable Day...in a few days

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I'm pretty excited over here! I'm getting ready to solder up a few new speaker cables!

I should rewind. We have a new vacuum cleaner coming in. It should be here by Friday.

And you all know what that means. I can cut up the old vacuum cleaner cable to make new-old-old-stock boutique speaker cables, that should range from perfectly adequate to sublime. The organ donor is old, a million, maybe two million years old, with a loooonngg heavy black cable. It's not an old ElectroLuxe or whatever the preferred species is, but it does suck, so...

Here is a photo of the soon-to-be-cannibalized Hoover Windtunnel Bagless Mach 4.7. Mach 4.7. That sounds powerful.

oajvXnF.jpg

Here is a photo of the cable. It is branded 17/2. That is not so encouraging, as I was hoping for a heavier gauge.

pq5GtsO.jpg

I am not so excited about the new vacuum cleaner, as it is not among my favorite household appliances. The cable from the Hoover, which I consider free, can maybe be used to wire up hi-fi speakers if it turns out to be too thin for guitar amps. It is hard for me to resist cutting it up now, before the new vacuum cleaner arrives. Must control mysef.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
I made cables from an old hotel vac. It is a sonic improvement over others I have tried. Illogical, but true!

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard that some of those old Hoover Mach 4.7s had power cables made with 93.11% silvectric cooperanium... Which, as everyone knows, is very toneful.

That's the kind of thing that could push my playing to a whole nother level. Even lower percentages of silvectric cooperanium, or "Silver Coop" as we call it around Chernobyl, can really electrify your electric guitar!

Eleven_Guitars

Gold Supporting Member
Forget practicing, music theory, study... "Silver Coop", SVrCP4, in elemental terms, is where it's at.

You've got all you need in that Hoover Mach 4.7... Just be glad it wasn't a Mach 4.8. That's when the factory changed the power cord spec after they were purchased by BFE.

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
You've got all you need in that Hoover Mach 4.7... Just be glad it wasn't a Mach 4.8. That's when the factory changed the power cord spec after they were purchased by BFE.

Oh, that was a sad day. The BFE takeover. I use the cables from the Mach 4.8 to tie up my tomato plants out in the garden.

It's 4.7 or nothing for me. My standards are so freaking high. Aren't they. :rimshot

musicman1

I feel the haunting mids are best served by using ‘62-‘63 gray retractable power cords from turquoise Electrolux canister vacs. Early 70s Oreck upright wires are good too.

Top Bottom