• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

New speaker for '72 Fender Princeton Reverb?

pedrohead

So I had my lucky break of the year and stumbled upon a DEAD MINT all original '72 Princeton Reverb (all original tubes/caps/speaker/vinyl cover... everything!) that had literally been sitting in a closet since the 70's not being used.

Once I got the inch of dust off and took it to Detroit amp guru Danny Russell to get it cleaned/couple solder joints touched up/tightened up, it's like the amp stumbled right out of a time capsule. Caps were still good (tech said it had obviously been in a good climate/humidity), tubes were still good, speaker still good.

I'm really liking the cleans, but once you push it in to heavy overdrive (which is a lot earlier on the amp than I expected not having played one before), the mids/bass can't seem to get out of the way of that little 10" speaker. It just kind of folds in on itself at high/distorted volumes. You can cut the bass out but then it just gets kinda shrill and empty. I understand from what I've read it's just the properties of the speaker itself.

So I'm in a quandry in that I'd like to put in a new speaker if that will help with the issue, but man... this thing is such a "NOS" amp that I hate to even touch anything on it since I could turn it right now for twice what I bought it for and it could end up in a museum someday and put my kids through college if it stays in such pristine condition :)

Would you have any qualms about de-originifying (yeah, I make up words) a classic example of a classic amp like this? If so, have any good speaker suggestions for the issue I mentioned?

teleking36

I bought a '68 Princeton Reverb in excellent condition with original speaker, tubes, lamp cord, etc., and I have also been strongly considering a speaker swap. This is the only thing I would change on the amp (other than the power cord and caps; those are no-brainers), because its reversible. I want to retain the value of the amp as much as possible.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Weber 10F50T. Every thread regarding speakers and princetons seems to involve the Weber somehow. Apparently it does a much better job of keeping the bass tight without losing character, and retains the nice fender high end. I plan on picking up the one up very soon.

soulloud

I must be one of the only ones that doesnt like the 10f150t in a princeton. I think it sounds kinda dead or lifeless compared to alnico speakers. it does sound very big for a 10" speaker though. The only reason I havent swapped it out is that I always run my bfpr through a 2x12 bassamn cab with weber p12q's iin it & it sounds really good.

pedrohead

I must be one of the only ones that doesnt like the 10f150t in a princeton. I think it sounds kinda dead or lifeless compared to alnico speakers. it does sound very big for a 10" speaker though. The only reason I havent swapped it out is that I always run my bfpr through a 2x12 bassamn cab with weber p12q's iin it & it sounds really good.
Have you tried their 10" Alnico? I actually emailed Ted and that's the speaker he first recommended (although the 10F150T is mentioned on his site as the "Princeton replacment").

I guess I'm more worried about the Alnico suffering the same "bass/distortion flub" like my current speaker does.

I've got a Blue in my Vox AC15 and it suffers from that a bit...

pedrohead

I guess the better question is, not only which sounds better, but which better sounds like a "Princeton Reverb"?

soulloud

I tried the p10q years ago & it sounded really nice but didnt have the low end or fullness that I wanted. Great speaker for recording though.

Trending Topics