New Speaker for a Fryette Deliverance 60?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dughaze, Jan 25, 2012.

1. dughaze

dughaze Member

I recently picked up a Fryette Deliverance 60 in a trade. I really like it. As described on the Fryette website, it definitely has a really cool sounding pissed off vibe that I like and is at the same time responsive to touch and guitar controls. I'm sure a Deliverance 2x12 cab would work well with it but I don't have the money for that now.

I am looking for a different speaker to pair with one of the GB128's I have in a 2x12 Avatar Traditional open backed cab. I have two GB128's in the cab now and it sounds good with this amp but I feel like it is missing something...some sweeter and tighter lowend and a little different but complimentary to the GB128 flavor. I don't know how to describe what kind of mids and sparkle and all of that I am looking for more of. Ithink the GB128 provides plenty of all of that. I do like classic hot rodded Marshall tones like Gary Moore and John Sykes. I'm not trying to copy them but anything in that direction would be good.

Does anyone have any experience with speakers with this amp that could recommend something that would pair well with one of the GB128's which I guess are greenbackish in nature? I play slightly gritty to hi gain rock.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. dughaze

dughaze Member

I tightened up my description as best I could.

3. maddnotez

maddnotez Member

I am a VHT user as well. if its a 2x12 and you like the sound I would go with another GB128.

However, P50's are the intended speaker for those amps and are claimed to bring them to life.

I might be able to sell you 2 of mine.

I played my Pitbull through a rear loaded Uberkab with 75x30 and to me it sounded much better than the D412. Just more cutting and in your face.

Possibilties are endless, you just have to ask yourself. Do you want to "dark" tone the P50's will give or would you rather have a more in your face tone?

4. Kelly

Kelly Member

I have an old horizontal vht/fryette cab that I use with my D60. Used it for 5 years with the p50s. They died last year, and I replaced them with wizards. I like the wizards much better.

5. dughaze

dughaze Member

Both of you guys are running closed cabs then right? Maybe that's what I need to try first.

6. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

The cab is just as important as the speakers with any amp...

7. dughaze

dughaze Member

I've heard your clips with the D60 Stephen and they were good. What cab and speakers are you using?

8. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I own a Deliverance 120 & Sig X and I use Vintage 30/Greenback/H30 with these amps most of the time.The cabs are 4x12's Peavey and Marshall ... both built in the 80's (The Peavey is my favorite cab). You are thinking of someone else's clips. .... I have not recorded anything since I picked up the D120 about Halloween....

Bottom line with speakers and all gear is we all have different taste and needs. Like the saying goes ...What's right for me might not be right for you...

9. dughaze

dughaze Member

Oh...wrong Stephen :huh :)

I am going to put a back on the cab and try it. I have a Scumback H75 that would have been cool to try but it's an 8 ohm speaker so no worky in a 2x12. Sometimes the amp sounds good with the V30's and sometimes it's just okay. But I think I'm picking up where the amp was designed with P50e's that are supposed to be similar to a mixture of a H30 and a greenback and certainly a closed back cab works best with these speakers for me.

10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i'd also suggest the p50's --- they're great! --- but.....
    i prefer celestion alnico speakers with all of my (4 different) fryette amps, including my fave (the d120, the d60's grunting grandaddy):
    i use blues, but also dig the golds.

11. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I run a pair of EV's in a 2x12 for my D120. I really like them. New they are pricey but you can find used examples in good condition on eBay pretty regularly.

12. syscokid

syscokid Member

I'm assuming the P-50's are made by Eminence for Fryette. Is there any way to describe the P-50's performance to any other more familiar, or better known speaker?

13. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Bumping this thread because I recently found another thread that pointed me here:

http://www.sfdamp.com/accessories.html

... where you can buy P50s from Fryette to use in your own enclosure.

While that doesn't compare it to other speakers, it does let someone with a cab know how they can try them out if they want without buying a whole new cab. :)

14. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

The cab is just as important as the speaker .... how they interact has a huge effect on the sound & feel.

15. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

I use my avatar 2x12 with scumback m75s
    MUCH better than the p50 I had

To my ears at least

16. cardinal

cardinal Member

Old thread, bu I played a D120 through a Bogner 4x12 with V30 and it was absolutely incredible.