New speaker for Bogner Duende...thinking about Scumbacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ledzep618, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

...but I know nothing about Scumbacks. Tried the search bar and there is just too much to wade through. I'm currently running the 30 watt 6L6 Duende head through a 212 cab which sounds beautiful. My current speakers are a Hellatone 30 and a Greenback. I just can't say I love how the two pair up, the Hellatone dominates the mix, so I feel like I'm cheating myself out of one speaker. I hear a lot about Scumbacks on here and people seem to like them.

I actually like the Hellatone 30 and am almost considering just getting another one of those, but I feel like it might be worth breaking away from Celestions. I could afford to replace both speakers, just not with the Scumnicos, but I'm not really looking for Alnico chime, I'm more interested in more grind. What Scumbacks pair well with essentially a G12H30? I'm thinking the H series, but don't know the intricacies of 55 vs. 75. I'm not opposed to the M series, I don't dislike the Greenback style, I just don't like how it goes with the Hellatone in my current rig and would rather keep the G12H vibe.

Can anyone say anything about the Black Back series?

Edit: Open to really any suggestions, not only Scumback

2. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Try a V30 to go with the H30.

3. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I have the Duende combo with the Celestion 70th Anniversary speaker installed (stock I believe), and I really like it. Since it is a 6v6-based amp, I think in terms of Fender/Dumble rather than Marshall voicing, although it can get raunchy n channel 2. I've never tried Scumbacks, but Eminence make a pretty wide palette of speakers that are reasonably priced. Maybe you could match up frequency curves and give one a spin. The Cannibus Rex is a little too bass and loose in my opinion but maybe a Texas Heat would break up a little sooner as you desire. I think Eminence is now making the Eric Johnson signature speaker, but I believe it is alnico (which you said you weren't looking for) and are expensive

Great amp. Have fun finding the tone in your head.

4. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Scumback H75 and M75 is a great pairing. Many users of this speaker pairing here.

H75= Lead Cone
    H55= Bass Cone

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The Scumback M series is like a great greenback. The H series is like a G12h30 but warmer. I would go with a new J series paired up with your hellatone. Imo