• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

New speaker has to much high end.

Casey S

Gold Supporting Member
Just bought a 1x12 avatar cab with a g12h30 in it to use with my Reinhardt 18. I tried it out today and the high end was very unpleasant. I have read that these speakers take some time to break in, is that the case or could it just be the wrong speaker for this amp?

I have a dr. Z 4x10 that I bought with the amp that sounds amazing I just wanted something a little easier to carry with the 1x12

80sboy

They do have a reputation for breaking in and they do suffer from high end grain new.

With that said some speakers don't break in so much as the material ages... Over decades...

Life is too short. I would just find another speaker.

Maybe a Creamback or Eminence's less "fierce" take on the G12H30, the Wizard.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
H30s are like that new. Play it at a decent volume for a couple of weeks and it'll smooth out.

cardinal

1) IME speakers definitely break in and get warmer. Even a few hours of very loud use will make a difference.

2) IMHO even broken-in H30s have a zingy high end.

Gillespie1983

Is the 4x10 a closed back? Maybe that's the difference you're missing with the 1x12. I own 2 different 2x12 closed back cabinets (2AlNiCo Blues; G12H30/G12Greenback), a 1x12 open back cab (G12H30), and 2 open back combos (Jensens). The closed-back cabs are warmer, and add some extra low thump, too.

One more thing: I don't recall hearing a noticeable difference in the speakers after they "broke in." I'm not convinced that breaking in a speaker is necessary, but what do I know?

Last edited:

Casey S

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you all for the replies. The Z 4x10 is open back. The new cab is convertible, and was closed back when trying it out.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I found the same thing with new Celestions Blues. Over time they have mellowed.

riffmeister

G12H-30 definitely has a strong top end. The speaker will "break in" a little bit over time, but the top end never goes away, it's usually the low mids and low end that fill out some (in my experience). I would try another speaker......some choices I've found with a smoother top end are Celestion G12-65, Eminence Red White & Blues, Eminence Cannabis Rex. And the new Celestial A Type is supposed to have a smooth top end.

Trending Topics