New Speaker or Weber Z-Matcher?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Josh O, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

My GT Soul-O 112 extension cab is rated for 8 ohms and I need it to be 16. Would you replace the existing 8 ohm 12" with a 16 ohm 12" or try the Weber Z-Matcher impedance matching device. I think both would come out to around the same amount of money, speaker might be a little more depending on what I'd end up with. The speaker in the cabinet now is the GT designed Celstion (UK) speaker, don't know what a good quality 16 ohm for this cabinet would be. The cabinet can either be sealed or open back and I'd use it either way depending on how my mood was. So the question is new speaker or Weber impedance matcher. Thoughts?

2. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Do you like the way the current speaker sounds?

If so, I'd go with the Z-Matcher. I use on and it is a really handy device. I've got a bunch of mismatched amps and speakers and now I can use any combo together without worries. I've made some interesting discoveries that I wouldn't have tried otherwise :)

If you don't like the current sound, now would be a good time to address it with a speaker change.

3. Josh O

Josh O Member

I do like the current sound of the cabinet. Do you feel that the Z-matcher altered your sound in any way?

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I find no alteration in sound using the Z-Matcher. It works as advertised and really makes life simpler. If you think down the road that you might get some other amps and/or cabs, I wouldn't hesitate to get a Z-Matcher. Makes the mix-n-match game completely painless.

5. Josh O

Josh O Member

Good deal, think I'll take that road.

6. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

+1
    Go with the Z-Matcher!:)

7. Josh O

Josh O Member

Z-matcher is on order. Thanks everyone.

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

What?! You actually ordered one of those pieces of junk!?!

;)

You're gonna love it, really opens up the possibilities for cab swapping.

9. Josh O

Josh O Member

:p

10. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

The Z-Matcher is one of those things you hate to spend money on since it doesn't really do anything. I finally broke down and bought one and now wonder how I ever got along without it. It's nice being able to use any head with any cabinet and not worry about the load. I also have been able to swap speakers in various cabinets that would have otherwise been mismatched.

11. Josh O

Josh O Member

Got my Z-matcher Friday, all cabs up and running now in matched impedance harmony.

12. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've been curious about the Z matcher for a while now.

I have a 4 ohm 2x12 cab and an 8 ohm.
    I'd like to run them both through my Z28. The amp has a 4 and 8 ohm input but the doctor recommends that you only use one at a time of course. I'e used 2 8 ohm cabs with a Y cable into the 4 ohm in with great results, but...

....tell me if this is possible:
    Run a Y speaker cable from the 4 ohm in. One to the 8ohm 15 cab and the other to the Z matcher set to 8ohms then sent to the 4ohm cab.

Seems like it would work but I want to make sure before I get one and try it.
    Thanks

13. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

That should work out, no problem. As far as the amp knows, it's seeing whatever load you set the Z-Matcher for. They're great little gadgets.

14. topstan

topstan Member

I just ordered a Z-Matcher because I have several heads and combos that have single speakers. All the speakers are either 8 ohm or 16 ohm. Some of the heads give you a choice of output but for most you have to match the speaker to the output. The Z-Matcher will eliminate this requirement but here's the kicker. I usually don't need a twin cab and I don't really want one because of the weight. So I would like to use two cabs in parallel, but since one is 16 ohm and one is 8 ohm, in parallel you get something that is to my knowledge is never found as an output on an amp.... 5.3 amps. But take a look at the Z-Matcher... 5.3. Plus it gives you both a balanced and unbalanced line out, which I will probably never use, but you might. This seems like a Swiss Army Knife problem solver for anyone like me who has a bunch of equipment or runs into a lot of equipment and wants to use it in a way that is more art and less science while avoiding that acrid smell of burning electronics.