New Splawn Pro Stock B+ - Love it but LOUD!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JYD, Jan 17, 2015.

1. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

This was my dream amp since 2003. Finally arrived yesterday and I love it but I think it may be too loud for my needs. I'm sad :-(.

The Tones are exactly what I wanted. I live in a large loft and I could not get it to 9oclock. I used it in half power and the Loop Volume, and that helps, does seems to take away some punch, but still sounds good. I knew it would be loud! But thought it would be a bit more manageable. I'm sure I'm probably not using the loop volume well enough.

I'm struggling, but will spend more time with it. I also have not used it with my band yet, so that will make a difference. It somehow seems way louder than my 50w JCM800.

Any suggestions??

2. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Lol yeah its prob loud as Hell.

Don't sweat it. Get an attenuator

They work really good

3. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have an older QR. It's a great take on the Marshall circuit. It is an aggressive sounding amp. My older unit is more aggressive yet. Since it has no loop volume, I have a Jomeek 3q preamp in there. I keep the eq bass and treble flat and with the 2 knob mid control, I can cut the aggression if needed and let my Esquires chime come through more. Makes the amp more flexible, way more flexible.
    Cutting those mids just a tad will cut down on the perceived loudness.

I had an old '83 2204 which I wish I had not sold. After I got the QR, I began calling the 2204 "my Vox".

4. csweldon

csweldon Member

What's the speaker load? If it's 8 or 16ohms, you can get a Phaez Brink; using the half power switch and the 4ohm tap on the amp, output would be 25watts into an 8ohm load, about 12 with a 16ohm load. WAY more manageable, and simple! Plus, the brink is cheap!

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

The Splawns are a huge deal for just north of 1G on the used market.

6. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

When I had my 2007' Splawn Quickrod, I used the Faustine Phantom Attenuator with it and knocked it down -8 db to keep the family happy and the amp in the zone....

7. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

I know most to all of this is user error. My loft is 1200 sf all concrete floors, 24 ft ceilings, and I'm playing thru a semi open back cab with loud efficient speakers. I didn't have much time to balance it out.

It'll be different in a band/live setting, but I still can't imagine going past 9:30oclock in the venues I play.

I wanna keep it. Any suggestions on settings are appreciated.

I may also look at the Rock Crusher. I'm not an fx guy, but I have an EQ I can throw in the loop, but figure the loop volume should do what that does.