New Squier Tele home run

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by coldfingaz, Jul 5, 2008.

1. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

The last thing I needed was another guitar, but for $300 I just couldn't resist... especially after reading glowing reviews from several other Tele enthusiasts:
    [​IMG]

Awesome specifications for this price range:

Squier by Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster 50's Electric Guitar

• Body: Pine
    • Finish: Polyester
    • Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Modern C Shape
    • Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5 (241 mm)
    • Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo
    • Scale Length: 25.5 (648 mm)
    • Nut Width: 1.65 (42 mm)
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Tuning Keys: Vintage style tuning machines
    • Bridge: Vintage style Tele© bridge plate w/brass barrel saddles
    • Pickguard: 1-ply black
    • Neck pickup: Custom Telecaster pickup (AlNiCo III)
    • Bridge pickup: Custom Telecaster pickup (AlNiCo III)
    • Pickup switching: 3-Position Blade Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
    • Controls: Volume, Tone
    I may mod mine into an Esquire at some point... probably just a Harmonic Design S90 in the bridge, but I'll leave it stock for a while.

2. hangten

hangten Member

so how does it sound?

btw, i am loving my harmonic design vintage+ p'ups in my 62 RI tele...

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

4. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I think Fender has lost their mind.

Precisely how does this assist in the sales of a lot of the Fender line? I know, if they didn't do it, eventually someone else will. But other than the neck thickness and the nation this comes from, you will be hard pressed to find a lot wrong with this guitar. The jack assembly, perhaps.

Bubban0v

5. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

I still think there are a lot of people that won't be able to get past the squier name on the headstock. Personally, I care more about the shape of the headstock than what it says on it. It's a killer guitar on paper, I'll have to try one.

6. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

Because Fender owns squier

7. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I went to GC today and tried a Butterscotch finish/maple neck Squier Affinity Tele. The price was $169! I couldn't believe how nicely it played and sounded. There were no overglaring defects or imperfections with it that I could detect. Granted, you're not getting "custom shop" attention to detail but the setup/assembly on this thing was not bad at all. Maybe I just happened to stumble across a lucky one but it was actually a nice guitar. I'd like to add a Tele to my arsenal. I like the photo of the white one in the original post; would love to have tried one of these too. I just might head back there tomorrow and grab the Butterscotch one!!

8. frank62

frank62 Member

Looks good to me. All those VV Squiers look nice. Is that the "see thru" finish on the Tele? What does it sound like?

9. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Mine just arrived today. This is a steal for $300. I have no idea how they got this one to market without FMIC worrying about crushing the standard MIM Fender Tele market. Nice slab of pine... decent wood grain showing through the finish. Pups are quiet, but pretty darn nice... not sure if they're on any other current production models or not. Fit, finish is all good, but the neck is fantastic. Feels real nice to me, and looks great as well. I'll switch out the jack, maybe the switch & leave the rest be at least for a while. Look forward to cranking it up through the Rocker 30 this weekend because that amp just loves Teles. So far it sounds killer through my little Gibson & a Champ.

It's not real light like Thinlines & some other lighter Teles, but it's not a boat anchor either. I couldn't be happier.

10. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Great, now I have to get one.

(sigh)

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I'm really tempted to get one.

I'm not sure what happened, but my snob attitude with electric guitars (particularly made in the U.S.) has really decreased recently. I have a Made in China Ibanez that I really like to play; it was all of $270. I'm still planning to replace the pickups and do some fretwork on it, but it is a really nice guitar regardless of price.

I am still a snob about acoustics and amps.

Bryan

12. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I got mine yesterday and agree with you. These equal the old MIJ teles. My neck is quarter sawn and has some flaming.

13. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

14. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Me want too! Better get one before Fender realizes their mistake and discontinues them.

The only thing that sort of bothers me with these kind of guitars are the stupid comments I get from people - "why are you playing a crappy Squier? You should have a Fender! etc" - so what I do is I put duct tape over the Squier decal.

15. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

You totally missed the point. Fender is under-cutting sales of any number of other models with this guitar. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE this guitar! But why would I buy a Classic 50's, Baja, or perhaps even AV52 if I can get a guitar THIS GOOD for $299?

16. Rockinrob86

I dont think fender is undercutting sales. I think fender is realizing that there is a good chance they arent going to be selling as many guitars if this economy doesnt improve. If they start selling these at $300, there is a chance to see something selling. Also, I really dont see these cutting into the av52 and higher. Those have better specs than these. I do see it slaying the classic 50's, but for what those are going for now, that isnt a bad thing.

17. Rockinrob86

and also, squier is known to be pretty crappy. Asian made guitars are now made at a much higher standard than they were. By making this guitar super awesome, it is making a whole bunch of us gear snobs say "hey, these squiers arent so bad after all." when we wouldnt even look at them before, much less play them.

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I daresay you can find a great number of quite well made guitars competing for the $300 market and Fender is just competeing from an advantaged position.
    Everything that makes a guitar good is available at low pricepoints now and the upper market is selling more sizzle than steak. 80/20...80% or more (!) of the topend guitar for 20% of the price...or less!! Quite amazing. Buy with your ears.

19. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Man, that's a nice lookin' Tele, especially for $300. The main question that I have with it is... How am I going to explain yet another guitar to the wife? :D

20. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I'm looking forward to the in-depth reports when you guys have settled in on your new toys. I need to think about a tele, and although I'm a bigger-neck person, I could overlook that for a low price.