New SSD in an old MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CyberFerret, Nov 2, 2014.

1. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

I've got a 2009 MacBook Pro 17". Great little computer that I love to use, and I recently upgraded it to 8Gb RAM, which is the maximum this model can take I believe.

However, last week, I noticed it taking a long time to boot up, so I ran a full disk check, and it told me there were corruptions on the disk that it could not repair, even doing the full reboot and running the disk utility from the diagnostic menu couldn't fix the issues.

It seems to be working fine, but a bit slow now, so I think the 500Gb HDD is on the way out.

Thinking of swapping to SSD now, but I notice a big price differential between the 500Gb and 1TB SSD drives. Are the 1TB models as reliable and fast? Seeing as my 500Gb drive is quite full now, I thought 1TB might be the way to go.

Additional question - how do recording apps like Garageband, Logic X etc. behave with SSD drives? Faster? Less issues with the whole thing slamming to a halt when there are too many threads running?

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

What I did in my old 17" MBP was to put in a fast SSD drive for the OS and a "regular" HD for data. The thing screamed. It takes a bit more skill to get that all working, and you lose the optical drive, but it can be cheaper in the long run and you can get more space.

I've not seen a situation where an SSD drive wasn't faster.

3. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Just bought the parts to do just this.

Here's an article on how it's done, for the OP.

4. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

ifixit.com has some excellent write-ups on doing any sort of upgrade on an Apple product.

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

750GB SSDs exist and are a lot less expensive than 1TB SSDs... :D

6. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Seeing as the original drive is looking suspect, I might just do a straight swap out and leave the optical drive in... Then again, it might be good after a reformat?!?

Ah - I've been looking at a few Aussie sites for new SSD's, but they only seem to have 500Gb then up to 1Tb !! (and the 1Tb's are nearly double the price of the 500Gb - a much bigger jump from, say, the 250 to 500Gb models)...

7. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Two things to check when buying - what is your computer's SATA generation? Your computer might not be able to get the maximum throughput that some of the latest SSDs offer so there's no need to pay for that extra performance. You might not get anything from a 6g disk over a 3g disk.

Second, your laptop might have two different SATA abilities on your optical drive vs your hard drive connector. My 2011 MBP would run a device slower if it was connected to the optical drive.

Garageband and Logic should be faster on start-up and when you're writing files. The general experience could be faster if you exhaust your memory (RAM) - stuff in memory will be written/read to disk much faster.

Overall, SSDs are a great upgrade. Definitely worth the $100-200, imo.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

9. Baminated

Baminated Member

It can't be any one just because it's for a Mbp , there's a certain one (forgot) that won't work in it well I think dependent on the core duo value.
    I may be wrong, but I think the SATA SSD can't be used

Call OWC @ macsales.com

10. Baminated

Baminated Member

Make sure you do anti static practices when doing this

11. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

This is a very good point, and it drove me crazy when I did mine (also a 2011)

12. starjag

starjag Member

Great upgrade. My wife got a 500GB SSD, 2009 MacBook 15". Only 4GB RAM, but the machine did become a bit faster. She is NOT moving to Yosemite though :)

13. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

I'm using a 512g SSD in my 2011 MBP, best upgrade I've done, it's very snappy even with core2duo. The down side is you need something cal Trim. And with Yosemite could cause a problem (but I think they fixed that now).

14. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

The Lifehacker article I linked to above recommends swapping the SSD into the hard drive slot and putting the old HD into the optical drive spot. Apparently there's also an issue in waking it from sleep, as the OS doesn't look to the optical SATA port for info when waking.