New Strat Loaded Pickguard Day - CS ´69s + A Question

fechart

Hi,

Got this Vintage Modified made in India cedar bodied strat, which is a fine guitar. Changed the whole pickguard for a loaded vintage cream with Fender CUstom Shop ´69 pickups, dated by Abigail Ybarra. Now the guitar sounds awesome, the CS ´69s have the tone I had in my head for a strat, crispy but not thin, a mix of SRV and something more 50´s. Really dig ´em.

As the title says, I got a question... I´ve always been a humbucker guy, I use the strat only for playing blues and some other limited stuff. I got a song using the previous Duncan Designed bridge position pickup, which was dark and hot, different from the CS ´69. It´s THE tone for that song, a 70´s style tune with a crunchy stratty rhythm thing going on.

So I thought of installing a humbucker on the bridge position now, but I want a humbucker that sounds way more detailed and single-coil-like than the hot HBs that I have on my other guitars.

I took a look at Seymour Duncans, and the Pearly Gates seems a good choice... Vintage output, Texas midrange, but very detailed.

What HB would you guys pair with these low output single coils? Or maybe a Single Coil sized Humbucker? I prefer full size, but I would appreciate your recommendations...

BTW, here you got some pics of her:

Before:

After:

JS-29

While I don't have any recommendations, I am very interested in any responses as I am planning to do the same thing with my strat loaded with CS 69's.

StratoCraig

Zexcoil Convertible. It will give you a nice fat but still Strat-like tone, and you can split it for a more conventional single-coil tone as well. And it will fit into the space of a normal Strat pickup; you don't need a new pick guard.

http://lawingmusicalproducts.com/convertibles

Or for a more PAF-like tone, but still splittable and still single-coil sized, try a Juicy Bucker:

http://lawingmusicalproducts.com/buckers

(Not affiliated, just a happy customer.)

fechart

While I don't have any recommendations, I am very interested in any responses as I am planning to do the same thing with my strat loaded with CS 69's.
Got some feedback from many friends and forums. Apparently the Pearly Gates is THE humbucker for a strat... Everybody says it's awesome.

Mincer

The Pearly Gates is my choice for a clean and clear sound that is great with non-master volume amps. For more mids and grind, I love the Custom Custom too.

Trending Topics