New Stratocaster Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AlligatorMtn, Jan 26, 2008.

1. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

I want to purchase a good stratocaster. I'm thinking about spending in the $1500-$1700 range. I'd prefer to stick with Fender, used guitars are good. Looking for the best clean tones that I can really use for blues, but can also use for other genres, something versatile. Maple neck would be preferred but i've gotten to like rosewood boards as well.

Any suggestions on what models I should look into?

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The American Deluxe Strat gets the nod in versatility at your price point. Otherwise, my best advice is for you to go play a few models to see what specs appeal to you the most, then make your choice from there. But, if you cannot get out and do that, then again, I would reccomend the Deluxe based upon your requirements stated.
    Best Regards!

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Look at the '57 & '62 Hot Rod guitars. I have no experience with either but they get great reviews here.

Many say they're CS quality and they're at the low end of your budget.

Good luck in your search.

4. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The new american stadard strat is really nice. I'd avoid the DLX because I don't care for the SMC pickups.

5. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

I was Strat shopping a few months back. Went to a CS dealer who had about 30 of them from the prior winter NAMM show. Played most of them. What struck me was how different they sounded, depending on the woods, etc.

I didn't buy one b/c I couldn't find a neck shape I liked. But be sure to try out a bunch through the same amp at the same setting, and one will probably speak to you.

6. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Be sure to check out the Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic strats. They are just in your price range and have beautiful flamed necks.

7. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

8. 777

777 Member

I just went through the same process. I too narrowed my choices down to the American Standard, American Deluxe & Custom Shop Custom Classic.

I decided against the American Deluxe because I heard that the SCN's don't deliver a traditional sound.

It was a close decision, but I eventually went with the Custom Classic. They are hard to find without waiting six months though, so if you want to go in that direction, I can tell you where I found some.

9. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I second the nomination of the HotRod Strat. I don't own one, but I've owned and played a boatload of strats since 1971, and stayed in a Holiday Inn last night on top of it. Seriously, though, if you're buying new, I'd take a hard look at that, and I think they'll hold value, if you care about that factor.

An off-the-wall suggestion (as I maybe read my own notion of "versatililty" into your comments) would be a used StratPlus, circa $900 or so, which gives you extra money left over for toys or amps or another guitar. Search the threads here for pluses/minuses on this model of strat, but I'm a major advocate.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

A MIM Strat with mods could set you back less than a grand,with case-best deal out there currently.

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder Gold Supporting Member

If you shop well you can find a custom shop '56 Relic for that and be very happy Strat wise.

12. Doug G

Doug G Silver Supporting Member

+1. I'd recommend either a '56 or '60 relic, depending on what neck size you prefer.

13. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

Do you have a preference for either a vintage or modern radius/frets?

For a maple board in your price range, I'd start by trying an AV '57 (including a thin skin) and an American Series, then see which neck I'd prefer. Then maybe try an AV Hot Rod model and even an Eric Johnson.

And, just to make sure I wasn't passing over any lower-cost gems, I'd try a Highway One (especially the older ones if one's around), a '50s Classic Player, '50s Classic and Jimmie Vaughan.

14. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

x100
    These are great guitars. By far the best CS strat I've had yet, IMHO. I have had, 69' 60' 56'

15. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

I went to GC in Charleston here - not the best, but one of the only stores that I know about that carries a variety of fenders. No CS's though.

The 08 american is NICE I really like it - the neck was a lot slicker then then my 07 strat. The only problem I had is that the finish on this one didnt look so great - probably because it had been knocked around a good bit.

I didn't like the Deluxe strats, the S1 switching didn't do anything. Also a little heavy.

There was a MIM 50s players strat in 2 tone burst - $501.50 on clearance. had I not just bought a gold one this summer I would have gotten that strat - it was the best strat I played all day actually, besides the John Mayer strat, I did like that one.

I need to get a hold of the nicer strats, I've never played a CS strat before. I've got a good bit of research to do...

16. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Yea, It sounds like you are interested in a CS Strat. In that case the Custom Classic fits your price range, and they are great guitars. I bought a CS Strat Pro Closet Classic last year and it is absolutely the BEST Strat I have ever played. VERY versatile, light, resonant tone monster. They have gone up a bit in price but they are excellent gigging guitars.
    Both of these are very nice, and depending on what you are looking for in a Strat either may suit you fine. These CS guitars will spoil you for sure!
    Another idea if your looking CS would be to buy used.
    Best regards!

17. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

Well... for that kind of money and the music you're after... Don Grosh in a New York minute...

Steve :D

18. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

I love grosh guitars but arent they pretty out of my price range?

19. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Anything that Fender makes versatile seems to lack that great Strat tone. I owned a Deluxe (SCN w/S1 switching) an Clapton Sig. (Vintage noiseless w/25 db boost). Eventually sold them because they sounded like everything but a Strat. If it's your first Strat, go for traditional pickups and no gimmicks.

20. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

This will be my 5th strat, I just want a 'nice' strat. I don't truly need a versatile guitar, I think I spoke a little too soon. My 2007 American standard is as versatile as they get if you ask me. It works very well for rhythm, it'll spill out the blues, and it'll give me screaming overdrive when I need it to. My custom relic that I had made feels amazing, I'd compare it right up there with the feel and look of a nash guitar, but about 3/4th the price - All it needs is some lollars and it'll be just as great as the American strat. I use it primarily for gigs when I don't use overdrive but instead use a soft volume boost for soloing. My MIM 50s strat is clean, clean, clean and its almost as versatile as the American it just lacks some volume and roundness.

What I really want in a nutshell is something that will give me a bluesy tone - I don't want to copy someone but John Mayer's tone makes me shiver. I want something that will be full by means of having a well rounded strat tone and a vintage feel. I love my MIM50s strat, but want something a little bit more upgraded.

make any sense?