New String Type

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bloozman, May 13, 2006.

1. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Anyone hear about a new string on the market thats a cross between a round wound and a flat wound?..if so, whats your opinioin of them?...Bloozman

2. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Theyre called half rounds by Daddario...any help would be appreciated...Bloozman

3. 6789

6789 Member

I use them. I got tired of my round round strings giving me so much finger squeek when my fingers slide on the strings. the half rounds don't make that squeek and they sound as good at round wounds to me. I play 12 -52

4. alberob

alberob Member

did they just start making them again? I tried them 20 years ago?

5. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Yep....They call em 1/2 rounds..I have em on 1 guitar, and they feel lighter than comparably sized wound strings...I had to check the package to be sure they were 10-46's..

6. K-man

K-man Member

D'Addario makes 1/2 round strings. I use them on my jazzbox. They are a nice compromise between flat wound (too muddy) and round wound (too much finger squeak). They are stainless steel though. If you use them to play blues or rock where you bend alot, I would imagine they'd do a number on nickel frets.

I think GHS nickel rockers are similar. They call them rollerwound.

7. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

I just put a set on my Firebird...They are great. They actually feel lighter than comparable stes of round wounds..I use 10's, they feel like 9's..

8. jman

jman Member

The Nickel Rockers i tried seemed to have some more drag/friction than roundwounds which was odd-maybe they were an old set that got a bit corroded. Not sure if these half rounds are the same? I do like the idea of this type of string...

9. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

GHS makes nickel ground-wounds, as well. I like them pretty well, but I don't find they last long. I think my Pyramid flatwounds have a better sound than the GHS's -- not muddy at all.

10. jimmisixstrings

jimmisixstrings Member

I've used GHS Nickel Rockers on and off for years, nice string, ground-wound. The wound strings feel a little tighter because of it, not necessarily a bad thing. If I remember correctly, SRV endorsed these and possibly EJ also. I think the SRV connection was probably why I tried them in the first place. Anyway, a great match with a traditional strat setup, especially if you've got a maple neck. I play through an old Super Reverb and had nothing bad to say about their tone. Problem is they're sort of hard to find, not being a popular seller most shops don't even bother to stock them.