New Strymon "Big Sky" a la Timeline?!?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaseyI, Oct 12, 2013.

1. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Just sold my stereo wet today and have a big sky on order from a Canadian dealer.

2. violentlymickey

violentlymickey Member

Yeah, this. I have decay on high and mix on low on my BlueSky to get the effect I want.

I just rewatched the demo vids, and I am super stoked about the BigSky coming in.

3. Abandoned

Abandoned Tweed Tube Tone Purist Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh trust me I've thought about it :) I just don't think I need that much reverb.

I really wish the reverb effect would stay off the dry signal better. If it did I would probably of already sold my BSR for a BigSky.
    If I didn't have the issues with some of the Strymon core stuff that I do (dulling of tone and the mix ratio) I would definitely have a Bigsky by now.

4. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

Awaiting Shipment

5. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

I found this to when I owned both the blue sky and wet. I hope the Big Sky does better than the Blue Sky. Otherwise I might flip it and re-buy a Wet. It would be nice if NT would come out with a multi algorithm Reverb pedal.

6. kbgear

kbgear Member

Does anyone else get the Kate Bush song stuck in their head when they think of (and drool over) this pedal? ;)

7. GTBJ

GTBJ Member

Nope, just this:

8. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Did you A/B the BigSky with the Wet? I'd love to try out your "wet preset" if you made one based on the wet. I don't want to rebuy the wet just to make a preset accurately on the BigSky...

9. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I would be interested to hear an A/B with blue sky. From the sounds of it it seems like the big may use a more powerful processor and have improved algorithms but I am not sure.

10. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Was told my dealer will be getting these on Tuesday!:dude

11. mwvm

mwvm Member

Selling my wet. This does what other pedals cannot do but unlike many esoteric type fx this sounds usable.

12. mild

mild Member

Been thinking that since the first announcement. Love that song. :)

13. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

I'd rather drool over Kate Bush. One of the last originals.

[​IMG]

14. TheKermitC

TheKermitC Member

damn the chorale reverb is so awesome..what do i do with my blue sky?

15. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Sell it!

order #34852 awaiting shipment!

Can NOT wait!!!!!

16. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

I tried that to no avail. It's like I never quite got the mix right, where the dry signal would still be able to come through strong when using satisfying amount of reverb. Long decay or not.

I'm glad to hear I wasn't imagining things. But I'm also kinda bummed because I was hoping I was doing something wrong. I also didn't have too much time with it and it was in front of the amp while my HoF is in my loop, don't know if that matters though when all I was playing was clean stuff.

Strymon says in their description: "Analog dry path for a zero latency dry signal that is never converted to digital.

So I'm assuming that the "mix" knob not only increases the reverb effect but also turns down the dry signal as you go up.

If that's the case, it's a huge turnoff for me. I wish they would have a separate pot to control the dry signal...but maybe that's asking too much?

Bad case of gas still has me wanting a Strymon....I actually woke up from a dream this morning where I bought both TimeLine and BigSky! Talk about :nuts lol

Anyway, could anyone confirm if this is also the case with the BigSky?

Cheers

17. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

It's shipped! Should be here Tuesday!

Whoohoo!!!!

Reviews and demos to follow!

18. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

19. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

At the Strymon Social, the guys talked about how it had a larger Processor than either the timeline and Mobius I believe.....

Pete said that you can get similar sounds to the Flint and Bluesky but they all have differences as well. I dont think they created them to sound exactly the same but probably similar territory and the ability to change the sounds as well.

20. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

My hope is that the spring is more like the Flint one and that I can get the Flint hall sound at max decay as I really liked those two reverb sounds the best on there. Although to be honest I almost don't even care about the spring mode since I do have pretty much the beat sounding spring reverb on my amp that I've ever heard and also a van amps sole mate.

Interestingly the best spring mode I've tried on a pedal is one of the ones on the dimension reverb. I feel like a lot of digital reverbs play too much to the springy drip sounds and it ends up sounding like a cartoon spring tank rather than a real one. The dimension one is nice in that it doesnt have a lot of splashiness. To be honest the spring reverb on my Fusco Cavern amp sounds more like what gets called a hall reverb.