New Strymon "Big Sky" a la Timeline?!?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaseyI, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Terrible idea. You're gonna eventually melt/fry your PP2+, guaranteed.

That and the following was confirmed to me directly from VoodooLab...

Outputs 5 and 6 together can supply no more than 500mA combined safely.

However, you can run a pedal that needs up to around 330mA on output 5, but then the pedal on output 6 needs to be under 170mA (again, 500mA combined).

So putting 2 pedals that each require 300mA in outputs 5 and 6, is basically Kamikaze-in your PP2+.

;)

2. danonbass

danonbass Member

Well I've been running a flint and a timeline on 5 and 6 for more than a year, with zero issues. I use the board for hours at a time, multiple times per week. I also talked with someone at voodoo labs who told me that running a flint/BlueSky/elcap/etc and a timeline on 5 and 6 was fine. I do think that a big sky and a timeline would be pushing it, however.

Don't know what to tell you, man.

3. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I replaced my Voodoo Labs PSII Plus with a 4x4. PLENTY of high current taps for Strymon pedals. Worked great with Flint and Lex.

4. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Thanks for the advice!

5. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Member

Here's a first impression/first preset video I made with my iPad mini. Not the greatest quality but it gets the vibe across. I simply love mine so far.

6. the tourist

the tourist Member

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it won't.

7. warren3333

warren3333 Member

Once again Gary, bang on.

I too changed my PP+ for a 4x4 last year. Covers the lot now...

8. warren3333

warren3333 Member

I gigged with my Big Sky this morning in a worship setting...

I bought it last week on a bored-whim, and have struggled with Strymon stuff previously. I had quickly programmed in 3 settings quickly.

Very very impressive. Really cut through the mix, and had some glorious sounds. The volume level, or lack of noticeble difference of it, was what was most impressive. Tremendous bit of kit actually, although running it through a Carr Slant helps...

9. jimmynorrisjr

jimmynorrisjr Member

Well, I previously owned both the Flint and Blue Sky pedals, which I sold to get the Big Sky. I was nervous about doing so, but am glad I did. Though Strymon openly states that the 3 pedals are different by design, I must say that I have been completely satisfied by the Big Sky. I used the Flint for mild to moderate verbs, and used the Blue Sky for more extreme and shimmer settings. IMHO the Big Sky is different, but it seems to me in a way that is an improvement and not a let down. The Möbius in front, and the Timeline and Big Sky in the loop are a dream. I definitely recommend the ext tap/fav as a tap for he Big Sky. And for those looking to get the amber to change, set a parameter knob to that parameter. When you move the parameter knob the light will change. Does anyone have settings that come close to the Space's black hole?

10. SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit Member

Big Sky just got delivered! When I'm done working the first thing I'm going to do is try and dial in the magneto setting from the youtube promo video. If anyone has some suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated!

11. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Does everyone use the Mobius in the front? if so where in the chain. I have mine in the loop all this time never tried it up front

12. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Just got a Big Sky yesterday!
    I had a BSR a few years ago.
    The Big Sky is more natural sounding to me and obviously way more flexable.
    I'll be using it with a Möbius (just got that too) and a Timeline.
    Controlling everything via MIDI and RJM gear.
    Seems to me I've got a lot of programming to do!

13. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

Slowly approaching 1,000 posts...

14. danonbass

danonbass Member

Ok. Well just because my amp hasn't shocked me while changing tubes, doesn't mean that it won't. That's technically true. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop changing my tubes. I'll continue to do it in a safe manner.

Again, the folks at VL, you know the people who make the device in question, told me directly that I could power a flint and a timeline on 5&6 without issues. I'm going to take that info instead of your opinion.

15. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

I kinda agree with you. While I wish I had a better option, I've been using 5&6 with two 300ma pedals for two years or so and it hasn't died. Maybe it will die faster? But that will just give me a reason to upgrade ;)

16. SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit Member

I'm loving the Big Sky, but I seem to be running into a little problem.

So say I'm in Bank 2, Preset A and I want to jump to bank 30 Preset B really quick. Well I press foot switch B and C at the same time to go to a higher bank, and then I just use the value knob to scroll to Bank 30, but when I hit foot switch B instead of going to Bank 30, Preset B it takes me back to Bank 2, Preset B. Anyone else run into this problem?

17. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

try hitting value and then scrolling to your desired bank and then hitting B

18. SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit Member

BINGO!

Well, actually all I had to do was start turning the value knob to scroll. For some reason I was under the impression that you had to press two of the foot switches first to engage scroll mode. That's what I've been doing the whole with my Timeline. Ooops!

19. Joshi

Joshi Member

bigsky for xmas!!! so good..

just a quick one - can you use the external tap switch pedal for the sustain function?
    and if so, can you configure it to the on/off switch so that you dont have to hold down the switch when i want to hold a note?

thanks

20. Joshi

Joshi Member