1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

New Suhr Day! (And how picky should I be about the finish?!)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tfg99, Jul 3, 2020.

1. tfg99

tfg99 Member

Hello all from sunny California!

So, I just got one of the new metallic finished Suhr Classic S guitars, in champagne. It was a 40th birthday present to myself! It looks and feels great, and the sparkle on the finish when under lights is superb. However, I was wondering how picky I should be about the finish on the body?

There are a few places on the body behind the bridge where there are black spots/scratches in the metallic finish. Obviously these are only small, and don't affect the performance of the guitar, but at the same time I had a feeling that the finish should be perfect considering it's a $3000 guitar? I know... first world problems! I had a metallic Classic Vibe, and that had a flawless finish!

Also, the output jack doesn't sit flush with the surface like it does on my Fender strat, but is raised a mm or so off the body. Is this normally the way the output jacks on Classic S guitars are, or should it sit flush with the body? I thought people on here might have similar guitars and could advise if this is normal or not. Pics are attached below. (I think!)

Cheers,

Liam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trl, jamme61, arayadis and 14 others like this.
  2. LoudAC30

LoudAC30 Member

Beautiful guitar! Should be perfect for that kind of coin.

Beto, Bighump, jamme61 and 19 others like this.
  3. sunking101

sunking101 Member

The paint wouldn't bother me but the jack plate is bent. A new jack should sort that....but it would possibly not go in the same screwholes.:(

strumminsix, jamme61, pjrhd28 and 4 others like this.
  4. tfg99

tfg99 Member

Yeah - I could probably overlook the paint if I had to, but the jack plate did seem weird. But then I thought maybe that's how Suhr do it for some reason? I just wanted to check before here bothering them with an email, but maybe I should just go ahead and ask their customer service department. I live in Pasadena, so I guess it would be fairly easy to ship it to their factory if they wanted to take a look at it.

5. RevelBandGuitar

RevelBandGuitar Member

That’s not uncommon on a metallic finish, the worst I ever had was a metallic orange G&L that was covered in inconsistent spots etc. I’d say that’s your call though! The jack plate is not right however. Talk to Suhr, they’ll help you out!

6. xzacx

xzacx Member

I really like that color/wood combo—this might be one of my favorite Suhrs I’ve seen as far as looks go. The finish would probably bother me a little bit—I’d almost rather have a scratch or ding, because then it just looks damaged rather than incorrect. That said, the neck is so nice looking I don’t know if I’d return it over that alone if you like it otherwise, especially if you were compensated accordingly. Suhr is know for great customer service, so it’s probably worth contacting them if you’re having doubts about it.

7. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

Paint is fine but jack should be fixed

8. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I agree for $3000 it should be perfect. I would ship it back.

Sardocasm, binge, Mr.db and 11 others like this.
  9. tfg99

tfg99 Member

Hey all. Okay, most people agree that if nothing else the output jack isn't correct, so I've emailed their customer support department. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being dumb before I annoyed them! It's also annoying that the place I bought it from never mentioned anything. You'd think they'd notice the weird jack. :(

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

That guitar is gorgeous. Love the neck. Congrats.

The paint wouldn't bother me but the bent jack would.

Knowing Suhr's CS reputation, I would be very surprised if they didn't take care of this right away.

ssmug, RhytmEarl, dbeeman and 6 others like this.
  11. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

99% of the time I disagree in these "should I send it back" threads, but for me on a brand new guitar at that price point, the paint shouldn't have those spots and screw hole locations for the jack should be perfect. IMO

Absolutely gorgeous otherwise though.

Sardocasm, Golem, strike3 and 11 others like this.
  12. tfg99

tfg99 Member

Yeah, I've heard their customer support is excellent, so I'm sure they'll advise me on the best course of action. The neck is super sexy though! To counteract my new guitar day disappointment, I am going to buy and eat a whole tub of ice cream. That makes everything better! :D

13. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Normally Id tell someone to live with it but the jack plate is clearly an issue and I completely agree that for 3k it should be perfect. Shame too because that neck is amazing. If you love that gtr then ask the dealer to refund you some bux and Suhr should send you a new jack plate.

bamalam and strike3 like this.
  14. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

That neck is sexy. How's the guitar sound?

15. tfg99

tfg99 Member

Well... just to highlight how badly my year is going... Just before christmas there was a fire in my apartment building. The fire wasn't in my apartment, but the smoke that resulted contaminated my apartment with asbestos and so everything I owned (clothes, furniture, guitars, TV, computers etc) had to be discarded as contaminated waste. It took months and months to sort out the insurance, find a new place to live, buy new clothes and furniture etc, so it's only recently that I've started back with the guitar playing.

So... I currently don't have an amp! I'm in the process of deciding between a couple, and should hopefully have one in a week or two. I got the Suhr before I got the amp as I just saw it online and had to order it there and then!

16. RSRD

RSRD Member

Gorgeous. Hopefully John (Husky) chimes in soon. He's 120% behind his product. He's one of the reasons I keep going back. that and the superb craftmanship of his guitars , amps and pedals. You just got super unlucky with that one.

I agree on the poster said that the neck is so perfect you almost wouldnt want to send it back. But do it. you'll be happy when it comes back again.

Happpy 40th!

ps - plus looks like you are close to Suhrs home base. Should be quick.

jamme61, JKjr and Frank S like this.
  17. swampstomper

swampstomper Supporting Member

I’m not sure that solves the problem. Looks to me that the jack plate is bent because the screw holes were drilled too close together.

18. tfg99

tfg99 Member

Yeah, their factory is just a bit south of me. I'd be quite happy to ship it back to them so they can have a look at it. I'd rather not start unscrewing and screwing things myself, as I'm bound to do something wrong, even with just a screwdriver! :p

19. tfg99

tfg99 Member

Well... I'm not 40 for a few more months yet, but I'm thinking of it as my "40th birthday year", so I've got all year to celebrate and buy things! :cool:

20. Oilspark

Oilspark Member

The paint is fine, the jack isn't. I would almost keep it just for that neck though hnnngggggg.... Get them to fix it!

McShred likes this.