• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Suhr “Discovery”, analog delay pedal!

Husky

i was thinking about getting the Alexa for that but it is discontinued. I am a little spoiled since I have a studio where I have access to great gear like old delay units (racks and tape units) and a leslie. I work hard to achieve those tones and would like to achieve them in a live setting.
Yeah, if you can find one it’s still a great unit, you could stay tuned or if you want something now the H9 is pretty great.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t have a Discovery yet, I’m waiting until customers get theirs, I do really like the Alexa for that as well. I have a Mobius (don’t use it for that though) and 2 H-9s, using my phone does drive me nuts though. I might replace the Mobius with an Alexa in stereo. There are also good Leslie tones in the H9 and is what Frampton often uses. Mind you I’m a bit spoiled, even in the 70’s I used to drag around a Leslie 145 with my 4x12, it was glorious.
How does the Discovery manage a Leslie effect? I’m very curious. Might push a lot of us over the edge!

zero_kool

We are shipping each week and are in production so best to find a dealer that doesn’t have too long of a list, it’s been a little crazy and we are in a chip crunch panic as everyone else is but we are making a boatload.
Thanks @Husky i jumped on a few shops lists to get notified once they get some. I’m one of the weird people that hate preordering things. It always go’s wrong & leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Haha

Yoni13

Would adding a simple tap tempo foot switch allow the tap switch on the pedal to instantly switch presets (and circumvent the hold time)? Or is it that the only way to have instantaneous up and down between presets is for the the switch to be a two button type?

Well a lot of that vibe of that effect can be had by setting it up for chorus and mapping the speed to an expression pedal.

martinsmith99

I watched the video enthusiastically, then I saw the price.

My capabilities do not justify this pedal and my wallet and wife thank me.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
How does the Discovery manage a Leslie effect? I’m very curious. Might push a lot of us over the edge!
A Leslie effect? I think the answer is not very well since there’s zero representation of high and low rotors in tandem.

sleep

Good lord that’s a lot of money. But I do love great tone.
I've had the opportunity to own most of the vintage analog delays, some of them a few times times over, including tape delays, and based on the feature set and that demo I think this is a bargain. It really puts into perspective how much we overpay for simple boutique reiterations of things like tonebenders or similar, which can cost as much or more than this and do so much less. I also assume this is USA made, that also has a cost.

I'm considering getting rid of my SRE-555 and getting a pair of these, I haven't been tempted by a pedal in many years. I also like the way Suhr does business, especially the 'we're making boatload of these' comment which should keep the FOMO reselling prices down. I don't think I've ever seen another manufacturer state that when launching a pedal that, I think, is going to be a huge success.

It also looks cool.

RockBlocker

@Husky

Mate, please tell Kevin he is a legend and has knocked it out of the park on this. The hard work was worth it. I will be getting one. I'm not normally one to be so certain and commit because of demos. But this is perfect.

Please get him to make a rack mounted version for the studio too.

Valveampguy

My local Suhr dealer here in Europe has these in stock for immediate delivery... So tempting, even though I have no space on my board.

ruger9

i was thinking about getting the Alexa for that but it is discontinued. I am a little spoiled since I have a studio where I have access to great gear like old delay units (racks and tape units) and a leslie. I work hard to achieve those tones and would like to achieve them in a live setting.
Just wanted to say, I have an Alexa and it's my favorite "Leslie" pedal to date- and I've owned a bunch of them, Lex, H&K, DLS, Tech21, etc etc... the Alexa does a fantastic job. I don't even use it for chorus LOL. Glad I got one if they are discontinued.

Only ones I have not owned are the Neo ones, and the Hammond one. And the new kid on the block- the Pulse... that one is Uber-tempting, but even it wouldn't be if the Alexa had a ramp feature.

OK, back to your regular scheduled programs...

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
A Leslie effect? I think the answer is not very well since there’s zero representation of high and low rotors in tandem.
John mentioned it doing so, so I asked. Many use a chorus and those don’t do that either. Good enough for rock ‘n roll is perhaps the idea.

dk_ace

My favorite type of delay is the stereo ping pong type, tapped in triplets. So, mono is not for me... My friend is getting the Discovery, and he has a lot of recent delays like Volante, Timeline, Memory Man, and more-still jonesin' for the Suhr... to me, it is insanity... or God Forbid, the vaxx making him do it.
Just get two, program them together to get the stereo ping pong you want…. Excessive? Sure, but this IS TGP…

D

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Just get two, program them together to get the stereo ping pong you want…. Excessive? Sure, but this IS TGP…

D
Seems more like dual mono. With that setup, how would you make tap tempo changes with two units?

dk_ace

Seems more like dual mono. With that setup, how would you make tap tempo changes with two units?
Run each one to a separate amp and spread them left/right. You’d have to do that anyway if it was a stereo unit. Not sure I get your dual mono point…

As for tap tempo dual unit thing, I haven’t looked into the midi implementation to answer that. Anyone wanting to do this would need to figure that out on their own. While I’m sure it’s possible, I doubt anyone will really do this. Jumping from $550 to $1100 just for ping ponging delays? I was really being tongue in cheek with the idea….

D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom