• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Suhr “Discovery”, analog delay pedal!

Husky

Seems more like dual mono. With that setup, how would you make tap tempo changes with two units?
You would set one to send midi data and run a midi cable out from that one to the next when Kevin plays them, he sets modulation for free running. This is a little midi switcher as well. If we are talking Ping pong that is a very specific thing where only one channel is echoing and it goes back and forth between the channels.

The closest thing to that is setting one delay for have the delay time, But there will be moments where both delays are repeating at the same time. He usually just has them at the same bpm and run a different division on both. That works nicely. Don’t forget you have 127 presets. I might do this myself since it can do many other things with the modulation so they can be multi purpose

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
Run each one to a separate amp and spread them left/right. You’d have to do that anyway if it was a stereo unit. Not sure I get your dual mono point…

As for tap tempo dual unit thing, I haven’t looked into the midi implementation to answer that. Anyone wanting to do this would need to figure that out on their own. While I’m sure it’s possible, I doubt anyone will really do this. Jumping from $550 to $1100 just for ping ponging delays? I was really being tongue in cheek with the idea….

D
I’m with you. I followed what you were saying.

I do like the prior suggestion to keep a digital delay on board for stereo if you need it.

The delay sounds from the Discovery are unreal. I love what Suhr accomplished with analog delay. I predict this will be revered on Mount Delaymore.

Last edited:

Z3P0

Silver Supporting Member
You would set one to send midi data and run a midi cable out from that one to the next when Kevin plays them, he sets modulation for free running. This is a little midi switcher as well. If we are talking Ping pong that is a very specific thing where only one channel is echoing and it goes back and forth between the channels.

The closest thing to that is setting one delay for have the delay time, But there will be moments where both delays are repeating at the same time. He usually just has them at the same bpm and run a different division on both. That works nicely. Don’t forget you have 127 presets. I might do this myself since it can do many other things with the modulation so they can be multi purpose
Excellent suggestion! Thanks Husky.

Last edited:

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
i’ve been surprised at many people initially not liking the look of the pedal.

i’m not really the target market for a premium analog delay, but aesthetically, i think it looks awesome. the retro nasa vibe with red screen and huge knobs is great haha
Same here. About the only thing I don’t like is the font for the Suhr logo and the color of the footswitch washers.

Husky

Same here. About the only thing I don’t like is the font for the Suhr logo and the color of the footswitch washers.
Well it isn’t a pre done Font but something we had done 20 years ago. As I said before the washers are functional and there is a choice of black delrin but it has a scratched up appearance compare to the white, we use the same washers on everything. And yes Kevin is totally in to the retro vibe to the point where he designed his own knobs, I’m surprised he didn’t make it huge lol

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Well it isn’t a pre done Font but something we had done 20 years ago. As I said before the washers are functional and there is a choice of black delrin but it has a scratched up appearance compare to the white, we use the same washers on everything. And yes Kevin is totally in to the retro vibe to the point where he designed his own knobs, I’m surprised he didn’t make it huge lol
Overall I think it looks great aesthetically and the feature set is super impressive even if I’m personally not taken with the sort of hi-fi DMM character. Congrats on the release and thanks for engaging a bit with the rabble here…

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
i’m not really the target market for a premium analog delay, but aesthetically, i think it looks awesome. the retro nasa vibe with red screen and huge knobs is great haha
It gives me Time Circuit vibes. I am a huge Back to the Future fan, so this pedal is aesthetically right up my alley.

mw63

Silver Supporting Member
Have a Discovery delay on order, any recommendations for an expression pedal?

jondom22

Silver Supporting Member
+1 also dig the back to the future flux capacitor vibes. Looks like a serious and durable piece of gear too

Tokyo tapes

This. Personally I don't care for the dark repeats of CB Tonall Recall and the Moogs at all.
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm completely on board with the "Hi-Fi DMM" vibe. It might be a bit much to ask but the Discovery might bridge the gap between old school/low bit rate digital rack effects and the murkier traditional BBD pedals...

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
Hey @Husky , tell us more about how to set up/sync 2 pedals for a true stereo set up…
you could easily make a preset on one for say, 400 ms, and on another for say, 396 ms, and you'd get a wide stereo spread. Or do one for 250 ms and the other at 500 ms... that sort of thing- set one for 1/4 notes and one for 8ths or triplet... and when you tap, each pedal would respond with that subdivision... for a cool stereo split with different times on each side.

Tokyo tapes

you could easily make a preset on one for say, 400 ms, and on another for say, 396 ms, and you'd get a wide stereo spread. Or do one for 250 ms and the other at 500 ms... that sort of thing- set one for 1/4 notes and one for 8ths or triplet... and when you tap, each pedal would respond with that subdivision... for a cool stereo split with different times on each side.
Very cool! So, I can send PC's and change presets on 2 discoveries and at the same time simultaneously change the delay times via CC's either via tap or changing the time knob on the "master Discovery"?
I could also sent a bypass command via CC's that bypass the "slave Discovery" when I bypass the other pedal? If so this is genius and would make thus pedal a game changer...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom