• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Suhr PT-15 IR Amp

cam0122

Our Suhr dealer here in the Dallas area said that some components used in this amp and the IR RL box are in short supply due to covid. Waiting on both the amp and the IR box. Good luck, not a good time to find a discount.
Thanks!!!

BradleyCB

It's been awhile, so I thought I would post. I've been using my PT-15 quite a bit over the past week, primarily on Channel 3. I haven't necessarily been chasing the "Brown sound," but I am finally committing myself to learning how to play at least EVH's solo on Beat It. Two things stand out so far. First, my left pinky is woefully out of shape and distantly trailing behind my other fingers; it's borderline useless right now. Second, plugging a humbucker into Channel 3 of the PT never ceases to bring a smile to my face. (Though once I begin stumbling through dives, harmonics, and pinky maneuvers, I can't say my family agrees with me on that point.)

finnster

Gold Supporting Member
It's been awhile, so I thought I would post. I've been using my PT-15 quite a bit over the past week, primarily on Channel 3. I haven't necessarily been chasing the "Brown sound," but I am finally committing myself to learning how to play at least EVH's solo on Beat It. Two things stand out so far. First, my left pinky is woefully out of shape and distantly trailing behind my other fingers; it's borderline useless right now. Second, plugging a humbucker into Channel 3 of the PT never ceases to bring a smile to my face. (Though once I begin stumbling through dives, harmonics, and pinky maneuvers, I can't say my family agrees with me on that point.)
Thats one tough solo....I wouldn’t even know where to begin learning it!! Lol.

FYI...channel 2 and 3 are voiced the same. They just have different master, gain and bright switches.

Good luck on your conquest!

wired

Gold Supporting Member
Have had my PT15IR for over a year now, thinking of picking up the matching 2x12 cab. I love the smaller size & diagonal speakers. Any feedback from people that have the matching cab? How do you like it?

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
I have been reading this thread and searched for comments on the effectiveness of the master volume. Is it effective enough to get the volume down reasonable for things like practicing with a speaker ? I have read many comments on how loud the amp is.

I have used a Mesa Mark V and it was very effective. Just wondering about this one. Interested in a Marshall type tone amp, currently have a Carr Telstar that has a built in attenuator and it is very effective.

Thanks!

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I have been reading this thread and searched for comments on the effectiveness of the master volume. Is it effective enough to get the volume down reasonable for things like practicing with a speaker ? I have read many comments on how loud the amp is.

I have used a Mesa Mark V and it was very effective. Just wondering about this one. Interested in a Marshall type tone amp, currently have a Carr Telstar that has a built in attenuator and it is very effective.

Thanks!
pre-Covid times I would play mine through a Bella 112 cab in my office at our church while a preschool met below me and a therapist saw people down the hall, and it worked fine. Honestly though, for quiet times practice I just use the headphone out.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
pre-Covid times I would play mine through a Bella 112 cab in my office at our church while a preschool met below me and a therapist saw people down the hall, and it worked fine. Honestly though, for quiet times practice I just use the headphone out.

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Have had my PT15IR for over a year now, thinking of picking up the matching 2x12 cab. I love the smaller size & diagonal speakers. Any feedback from people that have the matching cab? How do you like it?
The amp sounds great with the PT 2x12. It’s a solid all around cab in general as I’ve tried it with multiple amps now. I think it’s a great buy.

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member

Thanks!
Oh yes yes yes. No problem, you can use the amp to practice at low volumes and get great tones.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Oh yes yes yes. No problem, you can use the amp to practice at low volumes and get great tones.

Thanks much for the reply , appreciate it so much as well as your helpful, professional demos. Going over to Mckinney Texas to try one out this afternoon.

Tiboy

Silver Supporting Member
I’m seriously considering getting the PT15 and matching 212 cab. I currently have the Marshall SV20 and matching SV212 cab. Anyone have actual experience with these two rigs who can compare/contrast? Thanks.

tvegas99

Gold Supporting Member
subscribed... just ordered a PT15 IR today... looking forward to integrating an Axe3 via 4CM into a 2x12 with V30's

Last edited:

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Bought a new PT-15 yesterday in Mckinney, Tx. My first amp with Marshally sounds. Very excited. I compared it to several Mesa Filmores and liked it better, they were all pretty bright.

I demoed the amp with it sitting on a Suhr 1x12 cabinet on the floor. I had to get down and sit on the floor to get a good idea what it sounded like. I believe I was hearing a G12H-75 cream back. I am not familiar with this speaker. I am familiar with the G12H30, I have a couple of these and they take a LLLLLOOOONGGG time to break in, until they are they are brittle and razor sharp ice picky to me. Is the cream back different or the same thing with higher power handling?

Tried a Sumback M75 but the m has too much speaker break up to me with this amp, this amp has plenty of crunch on its own. I am using it with an A-type now, supposed to be their American voiced speaker but sounds like a mellow British speaker to me. Sounds pretty good but interested in others advice on speakers. I am in new territory here with this amp.

I was surprised that the sales manager said this amp would not keep up with a drummer. This amp can get loud. I also own a Bella reverb head and I find the clean channel on this amp sounds very similar, the clean channel is real nice!

Now to find a reverb pedal. I am set with my 2x12 in the band room but I need to figure out a good speaker for my 1x12 in my bedroom.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
To me, the thing I really find awesome is that channels 2 and 3 sound good with the gain as low as 8 or 9 o’clock. I’ve owned several higher gain amps that sounded absolutely anemic with low gain settings.
I just got mine yesterday and agree. 9:00 is about where I like it, at least at this point. I was surprised at this. It starts having a more modern gain sound to me around 10 or 11. Using the 3rd channel around noon gets a pretty aggressive lead tone. This amp has a wide range of gain on channel 2/3.

One thing I have not read much about here is how good channel one is as a pedal platform. I have a Bella and this thing is just as good. Channel 1 swallows pedals. Makes this amp very versatile with channel 1 being nice clean and throw in a couple of OD pedals for lighter gains than the other two channel and this amp is dang versatile.

Ended up returning a Mesa Mark V and getting this. This thing has a better clean channel and channel 2/3 take about 30 seconds to dial in a nice tone, not so with the Mesa. And I did not need the very high gain metal channels on that one. The head weighed 40 lbs as well.

Trending Topics