• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Suhr PT-15 IR Amp

guitarrob

Yup, at 9 I get a kind of Black Crowes-ish gain that works well for a lot of covers that my classic rock band does! Very versatile, channels 2 and 3.

guitarrob

Well I played my first outdoor gig with my PT-15 and 1x12. It went well. I was able to monitor clearly with a little guitar in my wedge. Before I put any guitar in my wedge, I had the overall master on 4, with the channel masters all roughly in the 4 range. With the overall master on 4, the sound was a little crunchy - definitely power amp distortion kicking in - not a bad sound, but one I wasn’t dialed in for. I backed off the master to 3.5 and put some guitar in the wedge - perfect. 3.5 on the PT-15 is pretty loud - Especially for a 15w amp. I’m confident that I can do just about any size gig with the PT-15 and 1x12.

As a side note, I was using a Helix in 4CM along with the PT-15. The temp was 88 degrees in direct sunlight (We were under a tent, but the tent didn’t cover the front of the stage.) 2 issues occurred - the Helix froze up during a song - sound was passed, but I couldn’t change snap shots. A re-boot after the song fixed this, but it was a bit of a pain at the moment. 2nd, the large screen and scribble strips were predictably near invisible in direct sunlight. Luckily, I knew where everything was switch-wise since I’d been using this unit for a while, but if I had been a Helix newbie, it would have been a harrowing experience. Obviously, having this type of unit under direct sunlight on a hot day is not ideal, but sometimes, circumstances dictate it. Will have to figure out how to deal with it next time.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Played with my bandmates Saturday night in our studio for the first time with this amp. Of course, I was distracted and made boo-boos due to being focused on the new equipment and trying to get it dialed in.

I was playing with a vertical 2x12 with scumbacks in it and I was having to dial the master up to 10-11:00. These speakers seem to be noticeably less efficient than Celestions and Eminence speakers I have used.

We play classic rock and this is the first time I have ever played on an amp that has some Marshall type tones in it. I am going to have to tweak this some one learn to use it. I have been using Fender Tweedish type boutique amps and the feel of the Marshally channels are much different, much more firm feeling, not spongy like I am used to.

I really pumped about how good the clean channel sounds and how it takes pedals so well. I have a Bella head with of course is much louder even on the 22 watt setting but this thing sounds almost like it to a tee, just less headroom. I have not found a pedal that does not sound good on this. The KOT sounds really good with this. Also using a Koko boost and it sounds great also.

This amp being a pedal platform wizard on channel one and having the two other higher gain channels makes this amp very versatile. I opted for the non IR version and will be buying the outboard unit when it is available again. I don't want rapidly changing tech and the hassles and complexity of that inside my tube amp.

I tried out three Mesa Filmore combos when I bought this and they were nice but very black face cleans which I am not that hyped about. The gain and HI channels on these were pretty bright with whatever awful v30'ish type speakers were in there, I had the treble and 9:00 and the presence at 8-9:00 to get it dialed back to where it was not sounding too bright for me.

I am happy so far.

tvegas99

Gold Supporting Member
first couple days with it... I could just live on channel two forever!
playing it through a semi-open back 2x12 with a Veteran 30 and a Reaper HP (g12H30)
had to sell a Bella NR to afford the PT15IR... sigh
love the PT's clean channel, not quite as lush as the Bella but an awesome flavor of clean, very tweakable, similar to the Bella ... I set it to breakup (6-7)

channel 2 is just killer, for now I'm just setting it to emulate a Plexi ... sounds so good
channel 3 is supposedly just another channel 2 (I have not spent as much time here)
The PT15 has so much flexibility... just insane, turn the knobs anywhere and you have a good sound

I've been a single channel amp guy for most of my life, I owned some Fuchs TDS and ODS that I really enjoyed, some Friedmans, RedPlate MDD, blah blah ... but I have always just bonded best with single channel amps, the PT15IR might be changing my opinion on channel switchers in general, I'm still honeymooning

Using an Axe 3 with it as a pedalboard via 4cm... so far I'm smitten

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
playing it through a semi-open back 2x12 with a Veteran 30 and a Reaper HP (g12H30)
love the PT's clean channel, not quite as lush as the Bella but an awesome flavor of clean, very tweakable, similar to the Bella ... I set it to breakup (6-7)

channel 2 is just killer, for now I'm just setting it to emulate a Plexi ... sounds so good
channel 3 is supposedly just another channel 2 (I have not spent as much time here)
The PT15 has so much flexibility... just insane, turn the knobs anywhere and you have a good sound

I've been a single channel amp guy for most of my life, I owned some Fuchs TDS and ODS that I really enjoyed, some Friedmans, RedPlate MDD, blah blah ... but I have always just bonded best with single channel amps, the PT15IR might be changing my opinion on channel switchers in general, I'm still honeymooning

GAH! I want to try this thing... Just would have to sell off a bunch of stuff to afford it. I am a fan of the Suhr RL-IR and that would be perfect for gigs and home use (especially now). Hearing time and again that the clean channel is close to the Bella has really peaked my interest.
Not a great time to sell stuff though, market seems pretty soft.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
GAH! I want to try this thing... Just would have to sell off a bunch of stuff to afford it. I am a fan of the Suhr RL-IR and that would be perfect for gigs and home use (especially now). Hearing time and again that the clean channel is close to the Bella has really peaked my interest.
Not a great time to sell stuff though, market seems pretty soft.

I have not found the market to be soft at all. I have bought and sold a bunch o stuff the last few months and it is a sellers market, especially on Reverb. I have a Bella Reverb head I am about to sell since I bought this amp. The Bella has about the best cleans, at least my favorite, of any amp I have owned. The PT-15. is just a bit lowered powered version of this, it sounds very similar and very punchy and lush like the Bella.

So to me you basically get s 15 watt clean pedal platform in addition to two channels of Marshally crunch and gain.

I opted for the non IR version, I do not want rapidly changing tech in my tube amp chassis.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Anybody Try a Celestion A-type with this amp? I am liking it.

They should call this speaker ""just a good speaker"! It really does not sound that American to me. Just warm and full.

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member

John was the one that said "I think I can give you what you need in a channel switcher", when I was using multiple single channel amps... I still love single channel simple heads but John really does channel switchers right! The best clean channels in the biz, it's never an afterthought or add-on...

finnster

Gold Supporting Member
Had a private Halloween gig and used my PT15, no cab and just used a CLR for monitoring and signal to FOH. Boy what an easy setup. I had all 3 channels dialed in and I ended up just staying on channel 2 the entire 3 1/2 hour gig. My sound guy was amazed at the tone......he is a traditional mic the cab guy and was a little skeptical.
Volume down for clean punchy tones and volume the guitar up for great crunch. We are a cover band and play anything from 70’s-2000’s rock and modern country.
I have a few iPhone videos, I’m on the right.

Last edited:

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Had a private Halloween gig and used my PT15, no cab and just used a CLR for monitoring and signal to FOH. Boy what an easy setup. I had all 3 channels dialed in and I ended up just staying on channel 2 the entire 3 1/2 hour gig. My sound guy was amazed at the tone......he is a traditional mic the cab guy and was a little skeptical.
Volume down for clean punchy tones and volume the guitar up for great crunch. We are a cover band and play anything from 70’s-2000’s rock and modern country.
I have a few iPhone videos, I’m on the right.
I tend to use Ch 2 most of the time as well and just ride the volume and use a couple pedals. Congrats on the successful gig. Great Amp!

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
So, attempting two stones, one bird (in case my aim is off ;-). IMO, the PT-15 series and the Bogner 3534 are setting a new standard for great tone, flexibility, tweakability with three outstanding channels in a smaller footprint; both are Great amps! As far as comparing the two, they both have excellent clean channels (a concern of mine as they are both lower wattage amps) with enough headroom and 1.5 excellent gain channels (both have independent gain/level and shared EQ). The PT doesn't have a Mid EQ pot, but the Bass and Treble controls are extremely interactive to the point where I feel a dedicated Mid control isn't necessary. I believe John mentioned in a post somewhere that adjusting the Bass and Treble controls cuts/boosts the mids by design.

The Bogner has a bit more tweakability with the excursion and EQ switches but I feel the PT sounds Great out of the box without the need for much tweaking-just set the EQ to your preference and play. The gain chanel of the 3534 has that signature mid/low mid emphasis for which Bogner is famous and, as a result, lacks a bit on the lower and, and can sound just a bit harsh in the gain channels unless EQed properly. The clarity and dynamics of both amps are excellent; both are very responsive to picking dynamics and the gain channels maintain great note clarity even when playing complex voiced chords.

The PT has a much more harmonically balanced overtone emphasis in the gain channels, there are no overbearing frequencies. The tones are as snarly/aggressive and hairy as can be or as smooth/compressed and round as needed (for those "liquid" solo tones). The highs are crisp, the lows don't "flub" out; I feel the PT has an edge in the lower frequency over the 3534 and generally sounds more to my liking with less effort.

For me, probably the main selling point for the PT over the 3534 is its capability to run direct into a mixer. I've been looking for a reasonable solution to this dilemma for some time. I've tried the Kemper, and the Synergy Modular Amps (both great for what they do), but neither was completely satisfying. Now, I haven't used the PT in this way yet, and it may be some time before I'm able to, but I saw Pete's recent Hendrix video where he used the PT in much the same manner as I would like and it sounded incredible (Pete explained the rig in a "Rig Breakdown"). This was the final selling point for me. The next day, I listed my 3534 and started shopping for a PT.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

As always, all is IMHO.
Wow, this is fantastic. I have been mulling about the idea of selling most of my gear (currently Synergy and digital modeling) and finally committing to a dedicated amp solution. The choices were an amp like the 3534, SLO30 PLUS an OX or something like the PT15-IR.

Mooselake

Well, if this evening works out as planned I'll get a chance to try an Andy Wood tele through my PT-15 IR. The pairing of the Tele and my Ch 1 (the original/"vintage" ;) design) is something I think might be kinda cool.

Mooselake

Update, things did work out, and earlier than I expected. Nice guitar, snarly little devil. I was leery of a modern elliptical neck profile. Hated it for a minute or two then loved it. Kept the PT on the clean channel, nothing in front kept the knobs on 5. After I eat I'll give Ch2 a spin, but I can already tell it will be great.

123SuperD

Question. Anyone having issues balancing their cab and IR tones? I have a Friedman Dirty Shirley cab with the Creamback M which I can dial in to sound great but my problem is when I listen to the direct IR through headphones and monitors I need to re-eq which sounds equally as good, but throws my cab sound off.

I’m considering a new cab? Different speaker? Or just get a frfr since I’m happy with that tone. I am afraid I’ll miss the “amp in the room” thing. Thoughts?

finnster

Gold Supporting Member
Question. Anyone having issues balancing their cab and IR tones? I have a Friedman Dirty Shirley cab with the Creamback M which I can dial in to sound great but my problem is when I listen to the direct IR through headphones and monitors I need to re-eq which sounds equally as good, but throws my cab sound off.

I’m considering a new cab? Different speaker? Or just get a frfr since I’m happy with that tone. I am afraid I’ll miss the “amp in the room” thing. Thoughts?
I think the best way to accept and come to terms with IR’s is that they are the sound of a mic’d speaker/cab. Try putting a mic on your cab and listen to it in another room thru monitors and then compare a selected IR from the PT 15 from the same monitors. This may help you. An IR thru a monitor in my opinion is never as satisfying as a real cab in the room. BUT the convenience of it is great when sending to FOH or recording for consistency in tone.
Also, when doing your own comparison, try moving the mic around on your cab/speaker......you can really alter the tone from tiny tweaks in mic position.

I’m just a hack at this stuff.....I’m sure someone with real knowledge will chime in here.

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member

That disparity between the way the amp in the room through a guitar cab sounds, and the way a mic’d speaker (or IR) sounds, will always be there to a degree. If you’re happy with the way your cab sounds in the room, try and find an IR of a similar cab/speaker setup, or if you’re happy with the way an IR sounds, try a guitar cab with a similar speaker...

123SuperD

Thanks for the suggestions! Great ideas. I like the greenback IRs so much I have not really reached any deeper but I will search around for one that matches my cab.

Also great idea with mic’ing the cab. Going to try this tomorrow!

Kojack19

Gold Supporting Member
I have been reading up a bunch on this amp but may have missed this question-Are there any substantial benefits to having the reactive load/ IR portion of this amp integrated vs having a Suhr Reactive load separately? Thanks for your help.

Trending Topics