New Suhr PT-15 IR Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bogner, Jan 23, 2019.

1. GorgeousTones75

GorgeousTones75 Member

Well.. I realize the SL refers to Superlead. But, the Badger I said a circuit which is based on a plexi (Sonically; a British/Marshall-leaning tone). I’m certainly not any kind of authority on the various early Marshall’s or vintage Plexi’s. And I use the term “plexi” like I would Tweed/Silverface/Top Boost Ac etc..

*Im not being defensive or anything, but I’m wondering if not plexi then what would you call the Badger?? An amplifier I absolutely frickin love by the way!! :confused:

Gasp100 likes this.
  2. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

Yummy roasted maple. Excellent choice.

gkinder and RayRay like this.
  3. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Ok I get that but circuit wise the Badger is really its own deal about as close to a Marshall as it is to a Fender but not very much to either circuit wise. That doesn’t mean of course it can’t be Marshall ish. The SL68 is way more of a Marshall circuit.

4. GorgeousTones75

GorgeousTones75 Member

Okay now I understand.. You’re saying it’s a completely original circuit designed & created from scratch. Created as a unique independent concept not intended to be a copy or clone of anything else. :)

nicolasrivera likes this.
  5. GorgeousTones75

GorgeousTones75 Member

OoO Bahama Blue.. Oh mama!!

gkinder likes this.
  6. stark

stark Supporting Member

Just what the doctor ordered! I'm in. Simple, I pay money, I get amp.

7. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Is this actually true? If so, why not just have a solidstate power amp?

@Husky @sinasl1

8. finnster

finnster Member

I would love to see the manual if it’s ready.

Also, my .02 on 15 watts being loud enough. I have a PRS MT15 and that amp is CRAZY loud. I am NOT comparing the 2 amps because they are 2 different beasts. I only reference it with regards to “don’t judge a book by its cover”......

I was hoping this amp would come in the 15-20w range and I am so happy it is. More and more places I gig require and request little to no stage volume and this fits the bill.

9. gkinder

gkinder Member

Thanks! Getting rid of a bunch of guitars, amps, and other gear that I'm either not using or just never bonded with to finance some new purchases. Hoping I REALLY bond with this new guitar because she's too pretty to get rid of :) Having played a buddy's Standard, which is fantastic, I'm sure I will. Looking hard at your Aura to replace the R8 I'm getting rid of.

Really eyeing this new amp, think it's brilliant and would work great for me. Know you are getting bombarded with questions, but are you are going to be releasing it as a combo at some point? Hoping you do, and if so, hoping you isolate the head and speaker sections from each other to avoid tube rattle, and use a Neo Creamback to keep weight down. Be the perfect grab and go amp, IMO. Thanks again!!!

10. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

Pete said he is hoping this year on yesterday's Live Stream.

dumbell78 likes this.
  11. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Can I ask a weird ish question (not being critical, mostly curious)? Why 6v6 at 15w instead of el34 at 20-30w? I believe you'd said that you used much larger iron than usual for a 15w 6v6 amp- with the larger transformers, couldn't you have used larger tubes as well?

I've been thinking about Mini Jubilee with 2xel34 at 20w, or the PRS MT15 with 2x6L6 at 15w- both of which are reported to have fairly loud clean channels, and wonder what the appeal of 6v6 would be over those designs- maybe 6v6 running in the middle of its range gets closer to the harmonic response of the PT100's 4xel34 than running 2xel34s at lower voltage?

12. Husky

No it’s not true, not that simple.
    Plus a SS amp has very little interaction with a speaker due to ultra low impedance.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    MrMoose likes this.
  13. Husky

6V6 sounds much more like an EL34 than an EL84. Glorious tones out of them. The Iton is quality American Iron appropriate for the wattage rating.

Kriig, gkinder and GaryMcT like this.
  14. caballero59

caballero59 Member

The PT-15 is said to have much headroom and headroom means clean. The point that I was making is that the old notion that preamp drive sounds bad and one must get the OD from the power tubes is not necessarily true anymore. Perhaps it used to be true, but not anymore. I've been using Kingsley OD pedals which are based on a 12ax7 and they sound amazing. They say that much of the drive of a cranked Plexi is from the PI but even that is a 12ax7 and not the EL34s. It seems to me that the only way to have flexibility is to use preamp drive or pedals and these methods are beginning to sound great. So in this vein, for versatility, I wouldn't even want power scaling on the PT-15 because you want to keep the power amp clean. If the preamp is done right, it sounds great.

MrMoose likes this.
  15. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

100% with you on 6v6s vs El84s. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it is interesting to me that Mesa Boogie is trying to find ways around the issues of el84s while you are using 6v6s. Both of you (who I have respect deeply and have owned quite a few amps from) are resisting the urge to go big glass (el34 or 6L6) at a lower voltage that Marshall/PRS are getting into. Is it the case that running a pair of EL34 at 20w would have less headroom than a pair of 6v6 at a similar wattage?

Yeah, I believe most of the gain on the PT100 is generated in the preamp as well- otherwise the FX loop wouldn't work as perfectly. However, I think the poweramp is still HUGE in contributing to the EQ, the responsiveness, the compression, the "soundscape" for lack of a better technical word- even if the actual clipping is completed in the preamp. Perhaps we might say something like: the preamp of the PT100 is colorful and beautiful, but the overall all image is til filtered through that canvas or TV or projector or printer- I think the beauty of the PT100 is how the preamp is designed to be reproduced through the poweramp, so that even if the gain is mostly in the preamp, the poweramp plays a gigantic role in the synergetic maximizing of potentials- at times, I might even be willing to consider the magic of PT100 as including some alchemy or a catalyst of some sort. Perhaps pixie dust?

caballero59 likes this.
  16. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

No, what the previous poster said is not really correct. Sure you could run the Masters low and primarily be hearing nothing but preamp gain. But one of the beautiful things about the amp is that witha cab connected and 15 W (or 7w if you use the 2nd speaker jack, which puts the reactive load in parallel with the connected cab), you can goose the masters and get a blend of preamp drive and power amp drive, at reasonable volumes (think small club or band jam volume levels).

If you don’t use a cab at all, and just use headphones or go di out to a full range cab or into a pa or recording interface, you can of course then just adjust the amp for the desired blend of pre drive and power amp grind, easily.

The clean channel, pushing the 6V6’s a bit so they start to just flatten out and compress a hair is a thing of beauty. Touch sensitive feel and gorgeous tones.

This amp makes this stuff EASY!

CJReaper, BradleyCB, MrMoose and 4 others like this.
  17. beej

beej Supporting Member

Pete or John, can one of you elaborate on how the channel switching will work? The video showed a 2-button footswitch.

18. sinasl1

Thanks! Also keep in mind I only had the amp to do the demo for about 4 days! Given more time to experiment with IR’s (making more of my own etc), the tones are gonna just only get better and better! The ability to use the amp across the whole gain range easily b/c of the load, the tones and potential are kinda limitless. Add in pedals and things are going to get really fun!

Old Guy likes this.
  19. sinasl1

Button one changes between ch1, the clean channel, and the overdrive channels, ch2/3. Button two selects ch2/3.

Kriig likes this.
  20. beej

beej Supporting Member

Ah, perfect. Thanks Pete! Really interested in this little guy.

sinasl1 likes this.