New Suhr PT-15 IR Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bogner, Jan 23, 2019.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Yup we lined up 4 cabs loaded with all types of speakers... we settled on the greenback and V30 blend, as being the best. It’s a terrific little cab, looks great, manageable size, and the speaker blend gives you options for miking.

As far as FRFR, I’ve so far only tried plugging into a dynaudio BM5 studio monitor. Sounded awesome at practice volume!

Of course this isn't really any different than me plugging into my UA interface and hearing the amplifier through my Adam or Barefoot studio monitors which I do every day!

If anyone’s interested- There’s a couple more vids I’ve put up on my channel this week- Matthews reverb, and a Keeley Fuzz- where I’m using the amp.

townsend likes this.
  2. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Member

i saw someone ask but couldn't find the answer. whats the weight of the head? ~20lbs?

3. sinasl1

Good question. I’d say same as a badger 30 or thereabouts but I don’t gave an exact number.

4. finnster

finnster Member

Thank you!!

5. sinasl1

6. aeroic

aeroic Supporting Member

That looks so awesome @sinasl1 ... You must be so proud to have that amp. I think it is such a great looking amp, great sounding amp, and such a useful setup for the working guitarist today.

sinasl1 likes this.
  7. sinasl1

Thanks, I can’t wait til others actually get to try it!

8. finnster

finnster Member

I’m a simple man and I love the fact that all knobs are in the 12 o’clock-ish range. Call me crazy but that is a sign of a well designed tone stack.....

9. sinasl1

Oh yeah! That's basically where to start! Actually John recently tweaked the taper of the treble pot so it comes on a bit sooner, because he felt that it seemed to sound "best" up around 7... He wanted that same thing at 5. You really can start with everything (except maybe the masters) on this amp at 5 and it'll knock your socks off.

I'm spending some time this weekend making custom IR blends to put in the amp, as they are starting builds very soon and they need em now. On track!

Also, we are looking at doing some clinics when the amps are released so I may be swinging by a store near you soon, hope to meet some of ya!

dantahoua and Blackmoreguitar like this.
  10. sinasl1

Old Guy, Colamander, tvegas99 and 2 others like this.
  11. Mr.Woody

Mr.Woody Supporting Member

looks awesome, Pete. Coincidentally, i'm listening to your Pete Thorn II album for the first time right now!!!! Great stuff! :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Old Guy and sinasl1 like this.
  12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

GaryMcT likes this.
  13. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

sinasl1 and GaryMcT like this.
  14. finnster

finnster Member

Awesome!!! I’m on the list for one.....can’t wait till they start shipping.

15. Boeing bloke

Boeing bloke Member

Agreed. All the songs on there sound like...well...songs! No wasted notes and I don’t miss the fact that there’s no vocals.

sinasl1 likes this.
  16. sinasl1

Yep!

17. sinasl1

Thank you!

18. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Supporting Member

Any thought on pairing this thing with a 1x12 or smallerish cab?

I ask because I'm trying to slim down my rig. I currently gig out my PT-100 for ~50 local & midwest gigs and I love it! But for throw & go / more minimal gigs, it's a lot of gear. I wish I could get it in a combo form factor, almost. I prop the amp up on a keyboard stand so it's closer to my ear and I can hear myself, as some opening slot gigs don't afford us IEM & proper soundchecks. I've never played a closedback cab until now, so it's beaminess can be tough for filling up rooms. I crank to hear myself, and blow people away in the front row. But even though the band has a hard time hearing me (they're used to open back combos filling up the stage) it sounds tight, full, and awesome through the FOH and when I'm in direct ear line.

REALLY stoked about the idea that I could gig the same head on a big stage, small club, or even at a church gig (where I'd get IEM's). Another band I play with only uses IEM and runs a quiet stage. My biggest issue after gigging combos for so many years is the size of the 2x12. I'd love to prop a 1x12 up or something for the sake of hearing myself, while FOH gets the version with the IR's.

Thoughts?

Current Rig:
    https://oi6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/megamustaine1338/1a_zpsxjlv0yxl.jpg

Pedalboard:
    https://oi6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/megamustaine1338/IMG_5072_zpssnqqzf6q.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  19. beej

beej Supporting Member

What about the Badger 1x12? It's pretty sweet- ported, big sounding, yet not that directional.

Husky likes this.
  20. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Supporting Member

I wondered about that! The thing that's a bummer is I'd probably need to sell my PT-100 rig to afford the PT-15, but assuming it sounds nearly as good at a lower volume with FOH / IR flexibility, I'd be super into it.