• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Suhr PT-15 IR Amp

OverdriveLover

Silver Supporting Member
You could totally use a 112 of your choice, it fits perfectly on top of the badger cab because it’s the exact same size Headshell!

A V30, Greenback, Cremback H75 or a Vtype would work great.

I like the appeal of having a head only for the desk recording direct, but it would be awesome in a 1x12 combo. Personally I love a three piece load in, guitar, small fx board and combo amp. :D

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I like the appeal of having a head only for the desk recording direct, but it would be awesome in a 1x12 combo. Personally I love a three piece load in, guitar, small fx board and combo amp. :D

Get a Mono softcase and a Guitar Tic clip on case and you can have your guitar/board on your back, head and cab in two hands?

sinasl1

Working on IR selection for the amp... I have really grown to like and prefer the Celestion 121/57 hi gain mixes for most things, so we will most likely include the Suhr "Backline Heroes" versions of that mic combo on Greenback 4-12", V30 4-12", and CBH75 PT cab 2-12". As well as some balanced and dark SM57 IR's from each of those cabs. And 8 custom IR blends, by yours truly, for some alternate sounds (closed and open back cabs). This should be a great mix of stuff, more than you'll need to do just about anything, and then you can of course load your own favorites if you wish!

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
@sinasl1 I love the IRs in the PT-100 plugin. Are any of the IRs for sale separately the same as these? Or very similar?

metronome

@sinasl1 Too cool Pete. I probably won’t be able to afford one these things, but it looks amazing. I’ve got a Badger 18 fired up now.

I have to say thanks though Pete. I am dealing with a pretty painful back problem right now and can’t really walk or move much. All I’ve been doing for 2 days is basically lying flat on my back with my guitar, playing and checking out your demos for inspiration. They rock.

Thanks for being such a down to earth and nice guy as well as an awesome player. You mean a lot to the guitar community.

Last edited:

sinasl1

@sinasl1 Too cool Pete. I probably won’t be able to afford one these things, but it looks amazing. I’ve got a Badger 18 fired up now.

I have to say thanks though Pete. I am dealing with a pretty painful back problem right now and can’t really walk or move much. All I’ve been doing for 2 days is basically lying flat on my back with my guitar, playing and checking out your demos for inspiration. They rock.

Thanks for being such a down to earth and nice guy as well as an awesome player. You mean a lot to the guitar community.
Hey man feel better soon! Sorry to hear about your back issues!

sinasl1

@sinasl1 I love the IRs in the PT-100 plugin. Are any of the IRs for sale separately the same as these? Or very similar?
I would try the Celestion CB75H PT 2-12” ones, they are really close to the ones in the plugin of that same cab- the high gain blend of the 121 and 57, and the balanced and dark 57 ones as well.

sinasl1

Must have been a fun day!

Oh yes! It’s been really satisfying to have the other guys from the shop come in and listen for the first time to the amp, there’s some really really great players that work at Suhr so it’s awesome to hear others play through it and see their reactions!

Ok I’m headed to the studio, going to mic up the cab today to make some demos...

davidespinosa

Gold Supporting Member
If you run the PT 15 IR through a speaker cab do you lose the speaker emulation capability or does Suhr make a cab expressly for that purpose?

Yes and no. The speaker emulation capability is available only through the direct out. There is no speaker emulation through the standard speaker output. So it's the same cabinet for all three channels. Earlier in this thread, Pete and John were talking about the cabinet they designed for the amp (it looks nice!). But as Pete said, you can use the speaker output and the DI output at the same time, and the DI output has cab-per-channel.

sinasl1

Yes and no. The speaker emulation capability is available only through the direct out. There is no speaker emulation through the standard speaker output. So it's the same cabinet for all three channels. Earlier in this thread, Pete and John were talking about the cabinet they designed for the amp (it looks nice!). But as Pete said, you can use the speaker output and the DI output at the same time, and the DI output has cab-per-channel.

Technically correct but you’d never want speaker emulation on a speaker level out anyway, as it’s only meant to be plugged into a guitar cab- and then you’d have a a very dark double speaker sound on that output! :)

Interesting tidbit is that if you use the 2nd speaker out to go to a cab, the load will still be patched in, and it’ll be like cutting power in half. So you can use the amp as an approximately 7 1/2 watt little monster as well :) useful for low-ish volume situations where you still want to use a guitar cab and want to get some power tube grind!

davidespinosa

Gold Supporting Member
@sinasl1

We can imagine an amp with three separate speaker outputs, one for each channel.
But if we're willing to take three cabs to a gig, we might as well just take three amps...

sinasl1

@sinasl1

We can imagine an amp with three separate speaker outputs, one for each channel.
But if we're willing to take three cabs to a gig, we might as well just take three amps...
Huh? Ha not sure I follow... sorry if I'm not understanding you but-
You know what this amp does is (when using the DI output) SIMULATE different cabs, right?

You don't need to take ANY cabs if you don't want to! What I'm saying is- using the direct out, per channel, you can select what IR (speaker sim) you want.

If you want to use a real cab, you can if you wish, and still have the DI out feeding the PA/monitors. It's up to you

Reactions: PLR

davidespinosa

Gold Supporting Member
In this post, @Buck Woodson asked whether the PT-15 "loses its speaker emulation capability" when run through the actual speaker out:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...nk-i-want-a-suhr-corso.2043526/#post-28476598

As @sinasl1 pointed out, the DI always has the speaker emulation capability.

In order for the *speaker output* to have "speaker emulation capability", the amp would need three speaker outs, one per channel, and you would use three separate cabs. At that point, you may as well use three amps, like Eric Johnson. Of course, it's possible to combine three cabs into one, with three speakers and three separate inputs. But it's a lot less trouble if the amp designer voices the three channels to sound good through the same speaker.

Last edited:
@sinasl1 , the new amp looks awesome! Excited to try it and see what people create with it. Question: do you have any plans to update the PT-100, or otherwise release a new flagship/high end/top of the line full size amp in the next year or so?

If you can't talk about anything now, could you give us some hints, cryptic riddles, or ballpark timeframes? If this is where we are today with the PT-15, the future's lookin' bright.

3 Mile Stone

Silver Supporting Member
@sinasl1 , the new amp looks awesome! Excited to try it and see what people create with it. Question: do you have any plans to update the PT-100, or otherwise release a new flagship/high end/top of the line full size amp in the next year or so?

If you can't talk about anything now, could you give us some hints, cryptic riddles, or ballpark timeframes? If this is where we are today with the PT-15, the future's lookin' bright.

Essentially I belive we have established that yes is the answer here ... sort of. The discussion originally was about a new PT-50 amp, a smaller more reasonably sized full featured amp that lead to the eventual "reveal" of the PT-15. So while not another "flagship" amp (?) there is another amp I belive still in the works. I don't know how much more "flagship" a PT amp could get other than the PT-100 which to my knowledge is not being discontinued in any way.

Hmm... I guess the real question would be: is a PT-100 with RLIR and built-in presets coming out any time in the next year? Wouldn't want to drop a chunk of cash on a PT100 + separate RLIR now just to have an all-in-one edition come out a few months later!

I'm interested in the biggest and the best. Why not have have a full 100 watt amp that's goosing the power section running through the RL direct, without needing a separate box/wires?

That would be the ultimate all-in-one short of including a separate stereo power amp inside the amp head, to allow running a re-amped W/D or W/W rig with no separate boxes (switchable from RLIR full range XLR outputs for PA speakers to just plain re-amped output for guitar cabs).

@Husky , I'm assuming fitting that into an already cramped 100w head box would make the components get too hot to function safely, no?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom