New Suhr PT-15 IR Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bogner, Jan 23, 2019.

1. BGrizzMayne

BGrizzMayne Supporting Member

I have a question: I currently use a Musicomlab EFXIII+ switcher with my PT-100. Works great and channel switches the amp via MIDI. Separate from my musicomlab switcher, I run an effects loop through a volume pedal, Timeline, Big Sky, and H9. Because these are midi pedals, I use the function switches on the musicomlab to control them on and off, and thus, my entire chain always goes through all of them.

If I'm channel switching the PT-15, would I have to give up these function switches in favor of the three channels of the PT-15? Ironically, my EFXIII+ broke a switch and I've wanted a switcher to re-order loops and make songlists that I can easily move around. Obviously considering the EFX Mk V, but also looked at the RJM PBC-6x. BUT, the PBC only has 2 function switches, the ML with 4 still.

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

3. Tone Jones

Tone Jones Member

Sounds like a nice amp. I still wonder about headroom on the clean channel with a hard hitting drummer. Looking at where the channel masters are set as well as the global master, I could never be sitting anywhere close to my amp (50w) with those settings.

4. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I have the amp in hand and think it sounds really good and very loud BUT I have not played it with a hard hitting drummer. It can be loud but that obviously depends... it’s a loud and clear for 15 watts in my experience, especially with more than 1x12. I’d say with time in with it so far if head room a issue unquestionably I would still consider this head but with maybe a re amping option you. If not that then go with the higher watt amp version of this amp.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Going to be different for every player, every individual band situation. Depends on your pickups, what style you play... and a bunch of other factors

What you say about not being able to get close to the amp- the first gig I took it to, I was running it with masters around 5, maybe the overall master at 6. So it was pushing. It was about perfect volume, and great tone. The next time I played that club, I didn’t have the amp (it was back at Suhr), and I took my 50w jmp. The Marshall sounded great, but I was getting (minor) volume complaints from the keyboard player and a few folks mentioned “that amp sounds great but it’s really loud”. If I played there again, I’d take the 15. It was just easier, more versatile, and I was happy along with the rest of the band.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    ejecta likes this.
  6. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Use two in stereo!
    Also a bigger cab makes a difference

7. BradleyCB

BradleyCB Gold Supporting Member

My wife and I headed over to Colorado today to see Pete Thorn’s clinic at Guitars, Etc. By the end of the night, I was so impressed with the amp I had to buy one of the ones they had on hand. Granted, the man himself was playing. Still, the amp sounded so good no matter how it was being used, whether through the cab at the beginning, through the PA, clean channel, dirty channels, with effects, or without.

Now we just need to wait for our shipment to arrive. Then we save for the matching guitar....

shawn w, buddy62, dbeeman and 4 others like this.
  8. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Congrats @BradleyCB and like I mentioned, last amp you'll ever need!

BradleyCB likes this.
  9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Thanks so much for attending the clinic, nice meeting you guys! Enjoy the amp!

ejecta and BradleyCB like this.
  10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

@sinasl1 I forgot to ask last nite, using the PT15ir with the HXFX, 4CM, you've mentioned one cable would benefit from an output transformer, correct?
    Is this a cable in the loop, or after the loop, HXFX to PT15ir?

11. magnus

magnus Member

Pete will surely chime in, but my guess is that he meant that you might need a transformer in the signal path either in front of the amp or in the loop to avoid a potential ground loop. You could also cut the ground in one on the signal cables (NOT the mains cable!!!) to kill a ground loop.

12. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure PT will confirm, but I have one before the amp input, i.e. between the HXFX send and amp. I am using a Suhr iso buffer which requires power. Palmer do a one channel isolation gizmo which does not require a power supply.

13. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

This! Correct

14. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I've had the amp since Monday and I try not to do first day OMG posts so wanted to give it time. I've spent a couple of days with just guitar into amp into Suhr 1x12 with Scumback H75 and loved it. Next was just Helix as main pedal board and just today tried going all direct with just factory IR's and liked it a lot that way as well. Need to compare a bit more with some other options but so far this amp is very very nice with great features, tone, and feel.

15. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

:) cool! Glad you’re digging it!

ejecta likes this.
  16. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Silver Supporting Member

Yes, bigger cab for sure. I was shocked how big everything was going through a 4x12.

ejecta likes this.
  17. Dockeye

Dockeye Member

Just a heads up, I was looking on Reverb tonight and saw a new PT15 2x12 cab for a great price (below msrp) from Barnett Music Exchange. I’ve never worked with them, but it looks like they’re an authorized dealer. Worth a look if you’re in the market.

jhansenku, ejecta and mw63 like this.
  18. NorthXeo

NorthXeo Member

Finally received mine last night. Maybe it was the fact that I haven't held a guitar for 3 months due to deployment, but I didn't realize it was already morning when the sun hit my eyes... :D
    Had mine hooked up to an Apollo Twin and using the Yamaha THR10X's speakers. It sounded really good!

Here's a quick video recorded with my tablet's mic.

LPMojoGL and Dockeye like this.
  19. Dockeye

Dockeye Member

Well, I finally caved and got the matching PT15 cabinet a couple days ago. Man, does it sound fantastic with the head. I’d been running through a Boogie or a Friedman 1x12, but the 2x12 is so much better! Love, love, love it!

buddy62, sinasl1, Mooselake and 2 others like this.
  20. Chasintonez

Chasintonez Supporting Member

Will it do a John Mayer'ish type of thing?