• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

New Suhr PT-15 IR Amp

jaeger28

This was a completely off-the-cuff demo, and it’s probably the most extensive explanation/demo in one sitting, of the amp and cab, that I’ve done I guess... I actually really like the way it turned out, we were in and out of there in about 45 minutes so thanks to the Wildwood folks for helping to make a nice honest demo! When I listen to the sounds I’m just stoked that I get to use this thing. That sounds like blatant BS marketing I know but honestly the 14 year old in me is just stoked on the tones. I’m just happy this is my amplifier and then I get to play through it, if anybody else wants one that’s cool too ha! I hope that makes sense
well done Pete, great demo indeed.
Must be an awesome feeling knowing that so many guitar players all over the world will invest because they aspire to sound a little like you! Have a blast!
Maybe see you at the summit on Saturday, though I'm not at your clinic unfortunately.

sinasl1

well done Pete, great demo indeed.
Must be an awesome feeling knowing that so many guitar players all over the world will invest because they aspire to sound a little like you! Have a blast!
Maybe see you at the summit on Saturday, though I'm not at your clinic unfortunately.
Thanks, ya guitar Summit should be fun! Stop by the booth and play the amp if you have time!

vintagetone

Hello all,
does this setup work:
connect amp line out with IR enabled to an stereo DELAY/REVERB, bring FX stereo wet signal (only) back to the AMP AUX stereo input and enjoy your stereo W/D/W setup on your Headphone amp input.

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
Hello all,
does this setup work:
connect amp line out with IR enabled to an stereo DELAY/REVERB, bring FX stereo wet signal (only) back to the AMP AUX stereo input and enjoy your stereo W/D/W setup on your Headphone amp input.
Also, if you can do this, can you passively mix the headphone output with the headphone output from something else (iPad, whatever) with a Y cable? Under what conditions will the impedance, etc, work out?

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Hello all,
does this setup work:

You’ll create a rift in the space-time continuum and all of reality will cease to exist.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
For those that have used headphones with the amp - fx in the loop will still work when listening thru the headphones out (ie the headphone out is after the fx loop and IR sims)?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
For those that have used headphones with the amp - fx in the loop will still work when listening thru the headphones out (ie the headphone out is after the fx loop and IR sims)?
Yes, headphone out is post-IR

Guy James

Maybe this has been covered in the 92 pages of posting but...

2 questions..

1: can 1 or both of the overdrive channels get in dumble territory or this mostly a British style overdrive?

2: why not an XLR out on the back inter of 1/4 inch?

Still tossing around the idea of putting in for one of these beauties!

sinasl1

Maybe this has been covered in the 92 pages of posting but...

2 questions..

1: can 1 or both of the overdrive channels get in dumble territory or this mostly a British style overdrive?

2: why not an XLR out on the back inter of 1/4 inch?

Still tossing around the idea of putting in for one of these beauties!
Overdrive ch2/3- it's really based on a Marshall kinda vibe. But, ch1 boosted with the right drive is totally in Dumble territory- it is based on the Bella which is John’s take on modded Blackface. Push it an dit sounds like a great american amp that doesn’t fall apart in the bass and get all farty.

TRS/1/4 our was my request. Just about every modern recording interface has 1/4” TRS line ins. If you use XLR, you’ll generally default to mic level in and have to use a pad. Also- you can use a guitar cable if you don’t have a balanced cable handy. It just made sense.

Had we gone XLR, sure, you could use an XLR to TRS, but this way you just don’t have to worry about it.

The out on the amp is balanced and you don’t need a DI. For live, Get a quality long TRS to TRS 1/4” and you can run straight out to a mixer or a patch box onstage.

sinasl1

Hello all,
does this setup work:
The answer is – I think so but I’m not exactly sure. I haven’t tried that yet. I think for sure you would have to run the effects 100% wet. Because it might be weird having the impulse response signal mixed into the phones signal twice if that makes sense. Maybe not if your effect has analog dry through, but I’m just not sure.

Blueswede

So a couple of questions- I bought this amp with the express idea of using it at my church as we have no live sound onstage. The idea of going direct and being able to use different IRs is very attractive. I have tried it twice and both times the sound through my IEMs has been really gritty and overdriven. I have tried tweaking the different controls but can never get anywhere close to what I have heard on the videos. Also, I'm assuming that the bright switch on the clean channel should have an audible difference. When I change the switch, there is absolutely no difference. On the other 2 channels, it's quite noticeable. Is it me? What suggestions? Thanks....

BradleyCB

Silver Supporting Member
So a couple of questions- I bought this amp with the express idea of using it at my church as we have no live sound onstage. The idea of going direct and being able to use different IRs is very attractive. I have tried it twice and both times the sound through my IEMs has been really gritty and overdriven. I have tried tweaking the different controls but can never get anywhere close to what I have heard on the videos. Also, I'm assuming that the bright switch on the clean channel should have an audible difference. When I change the switch, there is absolutely no difference. On the other 2 channels, it's quite noticeable. Is it me? What suggestions? Thanks....
I can’t help you on the Direct issue, but regarding the bright switch, I can notice quite a difference on channel 1 when playing through either the cab or headphones.

Blueswede

Yes, I would think that would be normal. I'm thinking I need to take the amp to Suhr and have them check it out. The clean channel is quite bassy. Hence the need for the bright switch.....

sinasl1

Something’s amiss. What are your settings?

sinasl1

Also, is the switch on the back to bypass the IR’s pushed in?

Try plugging your in ears or headphones right into the headphone jack on the front of the amplifier and see how that sounds, making sure the IR’s are active also

sinasl1

Oh cool, that kills my interest then. Usually Suhrs are EL34. John builds modded Marshalls. It's his thing. I don't know how 6V6's are going to perform as he is mentioning. My 1st red flag. I'd have to compare to other amps 1st.
I wouldn’t agree at all that John just does modded Marshall’s. Hedgehog is american all the way, Bella, Badger 18... original OD’s were 6L6... some of his favorite amplifiers are brown fenders, and he personally owns a beautiful sounding super reverb, he’s about 50/50 I’d say in his amplifier line and in his taste, British/American.

ross

Gold Supporting Member
What 6V6's are being used in the PT15-IR and what is the bias set point?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom