• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

New Suhr PT-15 IR Amp

Mooselake

Has anyone used a delay between the IR out and an FRFR?
I've run it with IR out into a Helix and messed with different combinations delay, verb, chorus, trem, etc. My "FRFR" is just a THR 10C (Helix line out -> THR line in), but the IR out sounds good with a little bit of wetness to it. Caveat is that I'm not going super loud with that setup.

sinasl1

Thanks, I was thinking of using a Source Audio Nemesis for stereo into a pair of Yamaha DXR10's.
I noticed a little distortion if I use a Source Audio Collider Post IR- out with the masters above 5 or so on the amp- Keep the masters around 4 or so and you should be fine. I don't think there's a way to change then input to line level on the Source Audio pedals.

Paolo161616

Ok just checked, I'm on instrument level for everything. You'll definitely want instrument level on the output level, but you can play with the line level on the fx send / returns and see how that goes.
Hi,

Did some tweaking yesterday and it worked perfectly. It's very easy to use with the HxFx !

Thanks

Blueswede

Platinum Supporting Member
I’m really surprised by the lack of balance between the two channels, just from an EQ standpoint alone. I’m going to send mine back to get the light fixed, but I think that’s how it’s supposed to sound. It’s just odd and makes the amp less versatile, in a sense. I have to compensate by jacking up the treble and brightness and doing the opposite on channel 2, leaving little wiggle room. Things get a little brittle with that amount of treble, too.

This exists no matter the gain setting, and no matter the master volume setting.

if you put both at 5, they are basically unusable switching between the two. Channel 2 is massively bright, and channel 1 sounds like your tone knob is rolled down by comparison. They don’t go well together. Maybe something is wrong with mine though
This has been my experience as well.....the clean channel is just very dark compared to the other 2.....even with the treble all the way up. That is what I was referring to in my original post.

BGrizzMayne

This has been my experience as well.....the clean channel is just very dark compared to the other 2.....even with the treble all the way up. That is what I was referring to in my original post.
Yeah- I had read that from a few other comments, but also comments from others who didn't experience the same thing. It was a consistency / balance challenge for me; don't necessarily need a bright amp, but was having trouble with the EQ consistency between channels. (my pt-100 & hedgehog are nicely balanced in terms of EQ)

I sent my Pt-15 in to Suhr to repair a bum LED light, and John & co. nicely offered to give channel 1 a look and make sure everything was working properly, or if there was anything up with a treble pot or something else. Will report back when I hear!

Last edited:

RayRay

Guys...... channel one is NOT dark. I'm not sure what people area hearing, and tone is subjective and all that. But right now I have my Ch1 Bass 5 and Treble at just under 6. My Ch 2 is set with Bass at 6, Mids at 5, Treble at 6.5. Yes, Treble is higher on Ch 2 for me.

I'm not sure what folks are expecting to hear or what their definition of "dark" is but there has to be another explanation. Is the guitar? The cab? The IR if you were going direct? Your headphones? Was the Tone rolled down when you were on Channel 1 for some reason? Something in your effects chain? Are you expecting to hear something that isn't there?

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Gold Supporting Member
Guys...... channel one is NOT dark. I'm not sure what people area hearing, and tone is subjective and all that. But right now I have my Ch1 Bass 5 and Treble at just under 6. My Ch 2 is set with Bass at 6, Mids at 5, Treble at 6.5. Yes, Treble is higher on Ch 2 for me.

I'm not sure what folks are expecting to hear or what their definition of "dark" is but there has to be another explanation. Is the guitar? The cab? The IR if you were going direct? Your headphones? Was the Tone rolled down when you were on Channel 1 for some reason? Something in your effects chain? Are you expecting to hear something that isn't there?
Your experience differs from several of us here, which is why John is going to take a look at @BGrizzMayne's amp to make sure channel 1 is working right.

I can tell you that channel 1 was too dark for me. I noticed it pretty much immediately. What I was expecting was to hear an amp that had a nice sweep through the EQ range on all three channels. I can tell you that following Pete's suggestion of setting everything at 5 and adjusting from there did not work for me on channel 1. I had to put treble at 8 and the bright switch on to get what was to me an acceptable and marginally balanced treble sound with the other channels. That was with a Tele, so there wasn't much room left for adding treble with humbuckers or my mid-focused Strat. This was through the Suhr Badger 1x12 cab and also through headphones going direct from guitar to the amp.

I have played primarily through Fender amps for most of the last 25 years, so I have a pretty good idea of what I think a Fender-style clean channel sounds like. Channel 1 on the PT15 that I played through did not match my expectations.

I think the idea of the amp is awesome. John and Pete have really designed a nice amp. I'm very interested in hearing John's evaluation of @BGrizzMayne's amp, because I'm hoping there's a minor issue with some of the amps that shipped. Otherwise, I don't think channel 1 will work for me, and I really want to love this amp.

BGrizzMayne

Kind of sums my experience too, guitarlifestyle. Glad they are taking a look at it. RayRay, I own a PT-100 and a Hedgehog. Granted I've never played a Bella which is what the clean channel is based on. Everyone perceives tones differently. But Blueswede, guitarlifestyle, and myself have all had the same experience. Maybe we are all crazy, lol.

RayRay

Kind of sums my experience too, guitarlifestyle. Glad they are taking a look at it. RayRay, I own a PT-100 and a Hedgehog. Granted I've never played a Bella which is what the clean channel is based on. Everyone perceives tones differently. But Blueswede, guitarlifestyle, and myself have all had the same experience. Maybe we are all crazy, lol.
It's just interesting. Not saying you guys are wrong or crazy. ;) Just saying it's gotta be a product of the environment or perception of what should be there.

RCM78

I'm curious if there is a problem with a few amps. Mine sounds fine. Channel 1 is not dark. If anything all three channels can be set very bright.

Husky

I can add presence to the clean channel, easy. 1 small part actually. Everyone hears things different with different guitars. Not a big deal or a flaw, just a 1 minute tweak which I will add to his if there is nothing else up.

Your experience differs from several of us here, which is why John is going to take a look at @BGrizzMayne's amp to make sure channel 1 is working right.

I can tell you that channel 1 was too dark for me. I noticed it pretty much immediately. What I was expecting was to hear an amp that had a nice sweep through the EQ range on all three channels. I can tell you that following Pete's suggestion of setting everything at 5 and adjusting from there did not work for me on channel 1. I had to put treble at 8 and the bright switch on to get what was to me an acceptable and marginally balanced treble sound with the other channels. That was with a Tele, so there wasn't much room left for adding treble with humbuckers or my mid-focused Strat. This was through the Suhr Badger 1x12 cab and also through headphones going direct from guitar to the amp.

I have played primarily through Fender amps for most of the last 25 years, so I have a pretty good idea of what I think a Fender-style clean channel sounds like. Channel 1 on the PT15 that I played through did not match my expectations.

I think the idea of the amp is awesome. John and Pete have really designed a nice amp. I'm very interested in hearing John's evaluation of @BGrizzMayne's amp, because I'm hoping there's a minor issue with some of the amps that shipped. Otherwise, I don't think channel 1 will work for me, and I really want to love this amp.

Husky

I'm curious if there is a problem with a few amps. Mine sounds fine. Channel 1 is not dark. If anything all three channels can be set very bright.
No they are swept to be accurate against each other. This clean channel is more of a tweed Clapton clean channel/Bella and has more mids than a typical Fender clean. It is an easy tweak to put some of that sparkle in there, I use single coils most of the time on clean channel so as it is works perfect for me and did for Pete while he road tested it. I can understand some wanting a tweak and it’s very easy. Back in the day we all had our amps dialed in for us.

sinasl1

Ya guys if you want a more sparkly blackface type clean- easily done. Bgrizzmayne, wait til you get yours back then report back to us and let’s see what u think.

sinasl1

I want you to love it too - that’s for certain. So if you feel you need sone more BF style sparkle out of yours let bgrizzmayne report back and lets see what he thinks.

BradleyCB

Silver Supporting Member
My wife and I saw GnR last night in Salt Lake. Inspiring stuff. So after a little messing around tonight, may I once again say how well the PT15 does a legit Slash tone? Awesome stuff!

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I was messing around with one in a store today as I get closer to pulling the trigger.

With headphones it’s pretty damn dry and I found myself wanting some reverb or something to give it a little depth. Would be killer if there were a little digital verb module post-IR.

I didn’t run anything in the FX loop but I assume that’s the best option for adding a little wet signal.

Is there an easy way to use the line out into some sort of reverb thingy to headphones or is that gonna require more equipment/$$?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom