New Suhr T Custom inspired by Kath, Stern and Summers

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shallbe, Jan 10, 2008.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Just before Christmas I received a new Suhr (ordered through Indoor Storm). I've had a few weeks with it, so here are some pics and a review.

I'm a lifelong player and lover of T-Type guitars, and REALLY think John Suhr excells at these. Although I own two others, I wanted a guitar that could cover a lot of music, while still having Tele feel & flavors---AND be noiseless.

As a big fan of the old black 70's Tele Customs and a huge fan of Terry Kath, Mike Stern and Andy Summers, I tired to put it all together in one instrument. I wanted something that could do rock, jazz, fusion, funk and R&B, with no compromises or noise. I wanted it to sound equally as good clean as dirty, playing rhythm or lead. Here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The specs: Lightweight ash body (whole guitar is about 6.5 lbs.), hand cut only with the square 1/8" body edges. The neck is a 56 Big V, quartersawn, with a very vintage feeling 7.5 to 9.5 inch radius, SS medium frets. Plus a "shorty" pickguard to compliment the 70's Custom vibe.

It has a Suhr SSV humbucker in the neck and a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Hot T in the bridge (GREAT pickup--the same that Vinetto uses). Suhr wired it per my specs with 5-way switching for neck, neck split, bridge and neck, bridge pickup w/tone control, bridge without tone ala Esquire. This swtching ROCKS!

The guitar plays great, and I love the radius. Fretwork is stellar is usual. The quartersawn neck makes for a loud, immediate and punchy guitar---every note has some heft behind it--even the trebles, and it has a BIG bottom end. The SSV bucker is fantastic, and splits better than anything else I've tried. This is an exremely sweet & useable sound. The bridge pickup without tone control option lets me go from a darker bridge tone to a louder, brighter tone where I hear all the bass string windings, even with gain.

I'm a happy guy. Suhr can count me once again as a satisfied customer. I will begin gigging with it next week, but it sounds fabulous through my rig right now. It is only going to get better. Here is a shot of the three T's together.

[​IMG]

2. diego

diego Member

A beaut, and lots of smart choices. Wonderful that you can dream something like that up and have a builder you trust to do an amazing job on it. Love your Suhr T arsenal!

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Delicious! Absolutely scrumtrulescent!

4. Dana

Dana Guest

Excellent collection. I agree, Suhr T-Types are just ridiculous.

I'm also a Mike Stern fan. Here's my Suhr Mike Stern copy I custom ordered directly from Suhr.

[​IMG]

5. shallbe

Thanks guys. I'm so happy I just had to share.

Dana,

That is a great looking guitar, and certainly looks more Sternish that mine. What I've always loved about Mike is the versatility he gets out of that guitar, and I wanted similar benefits to my specs. My has a very vintage feel with the V neck and radius, as well as some loud vintage tones.

Is yours an antique? Is that the usual Suhr Broadcaster bridge pickup?

6. mude

mude Supporting Member

While most people think of double cutaway models for Suhr, I really think the T styles are some of the gems of the line. I love being able to combine what I like about vintage stuff with some of the modern features, all with the quality and playability of a Suhr. As most know, I am highly biased, but I still love a good Suhr T. :)

As a side note, I have never really been a "relic" guy, but the stuff that J. Black is doing with Suhr is pretty special. Whether you like the looks or not, they feel and sound great IMO. I have played a half dozen of them now and they have all been stellar. I have not seen any in stores (as it seems like they are presold or custom ordered mostly), but I assume they will have some at NAMM. If you are lucky enough to go, you should check them out.

Evan.

7. HHB

HHB Member

supa cool!

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

What a Wonderful axe indeed ...

9. ivers

ivers Member

Damn, I love that style of tele, and that one looks wonderful! Congrats!

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'm surprised suhr didn't try to talk you into one of his single coils with the SSC system. (the virtual tele is great, but his pickups with the silent system are really great.)

i like that switching idea. i usually wire up that same type combination to be:
    br dual coil
    br single + n single (hum-canceling)
    br dual coil + n dual coil
    n parallel
    n series

the "esquire option" is a cool idea, especially with a hotter pickup like the v. hot t.

11. mude

mude Supporting Member

Lots of fun wiring options. Mine is:

1. Neck
    2. Neck split
    3. Neck and bridge
    4. Neck split and bridge
    5. Bridge

I like being able to still get the the two single coil sounds combined like the middle position on a traditional tele.

Evan.

12. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Congratulations! Those Suhr T's are all beautiful. I think that the Suhr T is the best style of that guitar that I've ever played.

You have quite a group of guitars there!

13. Dave

Dave Member

Very cool, shallbe. Congrats and enjoy. I love the covered humbucker and shorty guard.

I'm a big fan of John's work. I just took delivery of this one about a month ago, it's my second Suhr. Amazing guitar.

[​IMG]

14. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Shallbe, was the Dimarzio factory installed, or done afterwards at Indoor Storm? (I have been told in writing that I could not have p-ups other than Suhr or EMG factory installed).

BTW- your Suhr E type is killing me; simply stunning.

15. Colt

Colt Member

congradulations......that thing is beautiful. Simple and good.

16. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Dave's 2 P90 Black Suhr Tele has officially cause me to break out into a dry heat sweat ...and it's kinda cold outside. . . . no more comments necessary at this point.

17. ivers

ivers Member

:drool

Crikey, that's beautiful... I'm so GASing for a p90 tele, even though, or perhaps because, I don't really know what to expect soundwise.

18. jeremym19

jeremym19 Member

Thats one sweet suhr I love a binded black tele

19. shallbe

Thanks! That Esquire is such a special guitar that it got me hooked on the Suhr T-types. I've let other people play that Esquire, and they don't want to put it down.

Actually, I had a blade-type pickup installed by Suhr at the factory, and I didn't like it because it sounded poor with the neck bucker. I replaced it with the Dimarzio after doing some research. It was a huge improvement.

But yes, Suhr will install other pickups---you just have to have them to them early before the guitar gets built so they can make whatever changes may be necessary. If the pickup is not there in time, they put one of their own in.

20. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Really nice guitar! You have good taste in axes -- I really like all 3 of those Suhrs. I gigged my Blackguard-style Suhr T last night -- did everything from (lots of) jump blues, to Elvis, to Cream, to funk to Robben Ford on it and it sounded great (at least to me) for all of them.