New Suhr...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Ted Witcher, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Fresh off the line. I was after the whole "Jimi at Woodstock" vibration. The neck is a perfect fit for me and so playability is exceptional. And let me tell you, that SSC really works (though a friend of mine swears he hears a tonal change and wonders how could the tone not change with any noise-cancelling technology... but I don't hear any difference and wouldn't care if I did). My only tiny niggle is that both the tone and volume pots seem to be nearly "all-or-nothing" affairs with very little gradual sweep and virtually no change from about seven or so to ten. I wonder if any other Suhr owners notice this. That said, the guitar has many tonal options between the p/ups and the splittable DSV in the bridge. I am not mad at all. The boys at the shop really did an excellent job.

[​IMG]

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

good looking axe. Is this one of the new pro series?

3. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

No, that's a Classic. The color is custom and the neck is custom.

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Ahh. Sorry, still learning about Suhrs.

Great axe! Enjoy it!

5. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Sweet guitar, Ted! Congrats! What are the specs?

6. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Yeah, inductance, resistance, ohms, whatever... all that **** is Greek to me. I just like the fact that it's quiet and the p/ups sound like single coils. I don't hear any tonal change to speak of. And even if it did change the tone, then that would just be the tone of that guitar, like all guitars sound slightly different. I never saw what the big deal was -- turn your treble knob if you have a problem.

As far as the pots, I have like a 7' length of Mogami cable plugged straight in. Can't get more basic. There isn't a whole lot of variety in twisting the knobs, other than volume up/volume down, treble up/treble off. A sweet spot is a bit elusive. That said, I assure you I won't be losing any sleep over it. The guitar is spectacular in every other way, easily my favorite I've had built so far of three.

Say, John, while I have you... how do you access the part of the block where you can tighten/loosen the trem arm set screw? Ed tried to explain it to me, but when I got home I couldn't find it. Do I have to remove the backplate?

7. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Thanks, Ed. Tell the guys they did excellent work. Sorry about the traffic.

8. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

alder Classic
    finish is matched to a picture I found on the net, sort of an aged white
    V60LPs, DSV (push-push on tone knob to split)
    medium SS frets
    9"-12" radius
    SSC
    the backshape was hand-matched to a favorite neck I have -- it's big and chunky, like a Lentz, and the guy got it pretty damn close. I actually like it better than the original
    Wilkinson vintage bridge

It's pretty bad-ass. Now I just have to get that "playing" part together...

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I played a "T" style guitar of John's at Suhr guitars with the SSC system factory installed. I played it through John's old BF Super Reverb.

This "T" style guitar had a push/pull tone pot that when activated bypassed the SSC system, allowing for an excellent A/B test while playing the insturment. I understand that all the factory installed SSC's come with this feature - fellas?

This guitar was brand new and the SSC system had not been adjusted to optimal yet. John did it while we waited there in the room.

Oh, the room I was in was a quiet (relatively) room - guys were working, but nobody else was playing guitar. I couldn't hear any difference whatsoever in the tone of the pickup when the SSC system was engaged, or disengaged, and because of the push pull pot, it was an easy test to do.

Way more hum with the SSC disengaged though. For the record, my '56 Esquire hummed quite a bit more than John's "T" style guitar with the SSC system disengaged too, in the same room with the same amp and cord, sitting in the same chair, facing the same direction .... you get it.

I walked into the shop a skeptic about the SSC. I was actually there to test drive the CAE 100, and to deliver an amp for repair. I was completely surprised to discover that no matter how hard I tried, I could not discern any difference in tone at all in the "T" style guitar with the SSC system whether it was in the circuit or bypassed, and neither could my pal Mark Robinson.

I'm sold, I'm a true believer. Plus, I played through the Badger - AWESOME amp! I was surprised at how well John's "T" style guitar compared to my vintage one - really surprised.

That's my, well, a little more than 2 cents worth.

Dana O.

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Sweet guitar! I really like that white.

11. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Thanks. In the twenty-four hours that I've had it, I feel like I have actually become a better guitarist. How's that for an endorsement? Go get one, it'll make you better!

12. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Oh, I'm getting one alright! It's going to be sweet. Like you, I've made some unique design requests. It's very exciting.

13. Redbell

Redbell Member

Sweet axe, kinda makes me wish there were a Suhr dealer in Southern IN/Northern KY so I could check some out.

14. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

this was my problem... I took a stab at it and just ordered one without ever trying one..... I have no complaints, I love the guitar.... I've tried fenders, gibbys, hamers, martin, taylors, g&L's .... none of these I'd ever buy untried first.... IMO.... have no fear with a SUHR.... just get the specs you want.....know what you want.....:D

15. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Same for the Seattle area. :(

16. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Not to hijack my own thread, but I'm still wondering if anybody with the new vintage Wilkinson can tell me how to access the set screw for the arm. I'd like it to swing a little more freely. Anybody?

17. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Northwest Guitars:

http://www.northwestguitars.com/

Kevin Fallon is the owner there. Definitely my favorite guitar shop in the area. They sell Andersons like hot cakes there. . I'm not sure if they'll be interested since they are pretty tight with Anderson.

18. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Hey Ted, depress the trem arm and look at the trem block... there is a small hole in the block that you can loosen with an allen wrench.

Ray

19. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member