New Supro Stuff

Belmont

wow, now that could be cool.
hopefully it's not a pcb made in China lookalike like a certain brand puts out, not to be negative, I'm serious.

stratohiker

Silver Supporting Member
I contacted Bruce. He told me they would be made in the USA.
His verbiage in describing what's goin' on with the new models sounds very interesting.
He told me some may be shipping in January.

Last edited:

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
Funny I talked to BZ about the old Supro models at NAMM this past January. His reaction at the time was along the lines of, "Why would I be interested in making something that's already been done, particularly if I can make things that are better?"

So, I'll be a bit surprised (and pleasantly so) if they turn out to be like the old amp designs beyond a tip of the hat to the old look.

HawkeyeKane

So, I'll be a bit surprised (and pleasantly so) if they turn out to be like the old amp designs beyond a tip of the hat to the old look.

Yeah....the truth really lies in the circuit when it all coms down to it. Still, the cabinet alone looks very faithful to the original Valcos. Aside from the badge and grillcloth, it looks nearly identical to the Gretsch 6149 I use from time to time.

wyatt

Funny I talked to BZ about the old Supro models at NAMM this past January. His reaction at the time was along the lines of, "Why would I be interested in making something that's already been done, particularly if I can make things that are better?"

He was just flushing away brand equity by not embracing the "heritage" market. What is the appeal of new Supro amp designs, he could have just as easily kept using the Zinky name.

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Yeah, Wyatt, that was my take more or less.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
He was just flushing away brand equity by not embracing the "heritage" market. What is the appeal of new Supro amp designs, he could have just as easily kept using the Zinky name.

+1,000. Why even bother using the Supro name to put out completely different amps?

big mike

Cathode biased

Me too.
Bruce is a GREAT guy, and a brilliant designer. But he's very much into a 'been there, done that' vibe...

HawkeyeKane

Makes me wonder if this might throw a wrench in Dave Barnes' gears over at Vintage47. A few of his model names have Supro in them.

Aran

Good. I wondered about this when the darn Smokey amps were called Supro... Bruce!

Then again I doubt they will be even close to the originals.

wyatt

Makes me wonder if this might throw a wrench in Dave Barnes' gears over at Vintage47. A few of his model names have Supro in them.

I doubt it.

Vintage 47 stays more to the '40's and '50's circuits, with octal pentode preamps and 6V6GT power stages. There were several different brands and amps that all used the same (or variants of the same) 1x6V6 SE deign or 2x6V6 push-pull design.

The picture on the Supro site is all '60's Rhino-Hide era that used 6793 and 6L6GC power tubes, the one pictured looks very much like the 1624 or "Model 24" that has become very popular. But I suppose one has to see if he's using old schematics or not.

So, while Barnes V47 amps are probably not going to see any competition, Leon's Valclones might take a hit, which may be the reason for his surprise.

stratohiker

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure exactly what he's got goin' across the lineup but, he's mentioning taking some of the old and refining it (more tone control range, punchier, better speakers, etc).
And, of course, giving them the classic look.
Now, what models of yore they are working with....me don't know, and he's really not giving up anything specific as of yet.
I don't know if it's gonna be just classic circuit non master volume tweaked designs or, if he's gonna work in some channel switcher circuits with the classic look.
I kinda get the impression it'll be some of both but, guess we'll just have to see.
For me, since I already have the latest iteration of the Supro MoFo........I'm covered on a higher powered gig combo so, I'm interested as to what he's gonna do in the lower power realm.
No, not the bedroom stuff.......something that could do some smaller gigs.

Top Bottom