New Swart Space Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ejko, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ejko

ejko Supporting Member

My Swart arrived today, and it is everything I expected from reading other's posts. Incredible tone with great crunch at tolerable 'bedroom' sound levels.

The perfect amp for playing/practicing in the house.

Kind of experimenting with the negative feedback switch. Can anyone explain exactly what this is for?

Thanks, and kudos to walter2 for the great transaction!

Ed

2. Shnook

Shnook Member

Cool! What kind of guitar are you running through it?

3. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Negative feedback tends to smooth out and tighten up the signal. It tends to make for a "punchier" tone, whereas a lack of negative feedback results in more "open", "raw" tone. That's how I think of it anyway. Are you talking about the 6V6se? I really prefer it with the feedback off most of the time. That amp is one bad mofo. Have you really cranked it yet?

There's a nice article about negative feedback here:
    http://www.aikenamps.com/NegativeFeedback.htm

4. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Congrats!!

I love mine, and mlj_gear nails it as far as the negative feedback switch.

5. ejko

ejko Supporting Member

Thanks to all for the great comments and explanation of negative feedback.

Yes it is the 6V6se. I'm running a Carvin Bolt with single coils through it, and I've got a Carvin C-66 with Humbuckers on the way. And no, I've not really cranked her up yet.

It's funny in that I was initially a bit concerned about going to an 8" speaker after having owned all single and double 12" combos in the past. Absolutely a non-issue in terms of what I was looking for.

ejko

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

congrats on getting a great amp!!!

I find that the negative feedback switch can also lower the volume a bit...it feels like it takes away a few decibels but I could be wrong about that...I like the amp on both settings although the open raw tone is way cool and definitely crank it all the way up (both tone and volume) soon as it really can become a beast...really sweet cleans and roaring tweedy overdriven sounds...It has a really big sound and I also don't find the 8" speaker a problem at all...

7. ejko

ejko Supporting Member

Thanks farlowhigh!

After reading your collection of amps, I'm truly humbled. Your list seems to be the best of the best! How do you ever decide which one to play?

ejko

8. geonew

geonew Member

Congrats on the new Swart...+1 on it being a tone machine...I have had one about 4 months and I love it!
    Hey, farlowhigh, how do you like that Gries 5 you have listed, I've been considering one myself. Don't want to hijack the thread, you can PM if you want to.

9. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

ejko, thanks for your kind words about my amp madness...I really like having lots of sonic variety around and I do like playing a few different ones each day (often grouping by tube type, so a 6v6 day followed by a EL84 day, a blackface fender day then a more voxy and marshally day, etc..)...i just got an A/B/Y pedal and so I will be trying to do better comparisons and even blend amps for a whole new world of multiplied tone possibilities...the Kingsley is the latest and that thing has so many tones and options that it will keep me fiscally responsible and not buying anything for quite a while, I think and hope...although the S2 mini-wreck is very tempting as is the Fargen Miniplex II...have you looked at that thread about how many amps people own...there are some really serious collectors on that thread that make me feel entirely reasonable and moderate in my amp buying...

I predict you will not only love that Space Tone 6v6se but you will soon be tempted by the Atomic Space Tone or the newest Swart, the Space Tone Reverb (great clips up now at swartamps.com)...Swart definitely makes a special brand of amp with more mojo and sheer sonic charisma than most...

geonew, I also really love that Gries 5 and definitely think you should get one...it is a great complement to the Swart 6v6se...while the Swart is tweedy, the Gries has an amazing blackface Fendery clean tone with lots of low end and beautiful highs...and when you dial up the gain, you dial out the tone stack and you get this really cool tweedy overdrive...very versatile amp for its ability to cover both blackface clean and tweedy overdrive...full tone controls and a master volume are also almost unheard of at that price and the build quality is great...Dave Gries is a really nice guy who is really responsive to any questions you may have as well...

10. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

The 6V6 SE is also possibly the quietest idling tube amp (silent) that I have ever recorded with. I didn't think it was on :)