New T-Rex pedal "Moller"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by maracox, Dec 20, 2005.

1. maracox

maracox Member

Nobody seems to notice that T-Rex just released a new overdrive pedal called "Moller". I had chance for some intense testing twice in a local music store and all I can say it's absolutely amazing.

I'm no big fan of T-Rex. I had the tremster and mudhoney once and ended up selling them. I think Dr. Swamp and BetaVibe are just crap and the Replica is overpriced, but the Moller is a killer.

You have Your basic overdrive layout with drive, tone and level and a preset switch for accentuating mids or low end. Besides You have an clean blend knob pretty much like the sparkle drive and an separately footswitchable transparent clean boost up to 20 db. Remarkably, the clean boost also works when the drive section isn't engaged. So You can dial in a lot of tones here.

The sound is very transparent, not too compressed, definitely not tubescreamerish. With drive on max You have the sound of an "old tube amp cooking" (their description), and that's true to my ears. I played "For those about to rock" with an Gretsch into an Fender deluxe Reverb (!) and it really sounded like malcolm.

I'm using an nobels odr-1 by now and was considering buying a timmy for those transparent low to medium gain sounds, but the moller impressed me, so ... maybe ...

2. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

I've got one, and I absolutely love it. The fact that it's got a separate clean boost alone makes it an instant hit, but the best thing about it is the blend knob. With the drive knob maxed and the blend knob at 12 it gives a much more natural overdrive than no blending and the drive knob at 12.

And it looks cool too.

[​IMG]

3. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

How much gain does it have on tap (could you compare it to the gain in an amp, or another pedal)? Have either of you tried the Mr. Swampy Distortion box yet? Thanks.

peace
    -jeff

4. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Does not have much gain, a very mellow pedal.
    A TS-style drive, same vein as the sparkledrive in some ways.

5. rabbit

rabbit Member

Is it something like a Fulldrive with a blend option?

If you can compare it the other T-rex od pedals, is more like the Alberta (TS-style) or the Mudhoney (fuzzy distortion)?

6. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

:) I love these types of OD pedals. I definetly want to try out the Moller. I currently have a Nick Greer Green Giant that has a similar function. The GG has a "Clean Mix" knob that lets you blend back in your clean tone. Great pedal, can't wait to compare it to the Moller.

7. mild

mild Member

I'm a big fan of mine, for the record.

To answer that old question of rabbits... this pedal is a highly modified Alberta. Its tube-screamer based... but only in the loosest sense.

8. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

Glad you're still liking it, Jono. I'm trying to remember, do you play church gigs down under? What do you think of the Moller in a worship setting?

9. rabbit

rabbit Member

:p thumbs up! This question kept me sleepless for almost a year! lol
    No, not really. When I checked it out, I must admit did not find any overly special sounds in it - to my liking - or any sound I haven´t covered yet. But it definitely is a great, high quality pedal. Reminded me of the Vodoo Labs Sparcle Drive... However: Enjoy your Möller!