new t00bs for mesa v-1 bottle rocket

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Feb 7, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

got the v-1 bottle rocket out of the emporium today and I was surprised and impressed when I plugged her in.

The sound is very dynamic... has a very saturated midrange (reminds me a lot of a tube driver mixed with a tube screamer), controls are EXTREMELY interactive (this took getting used to), reacts great to boosts, and has tons of liquidy sustain. Makes me wonder why people are so into the dumble thing

Now the current tubes are not original... the previous owner claimed swapping in EHX 12ax7s did a lot of good for the tone... obviously i have nothing to compare it to, but i'm assuming it added a bit to the midrange... which seems pretty goosed and juicy.... maybe even too much so. Now the thing is that (although I've only had a day to tweak it), I feel like the sound is a little too muddy - more than i expected based on the reviews... also it lacks some of the articulation and precision that I was expecting (europa, anyone?). I think the tubes are probably close to worn out, but i don't have any spares lying around to prove my point.

So now I guess its time for a retube... I don't really want to buy a bunch of tubes I don't need as I'm pretty much set on preamp tubes for my amp (Tung Sols were a GREAT match). What i'm really after is more articulation and clarity while retaining the gain....

so what are my best options? wanna stay in the new production tubes

new EHX?
    JJ?
    Tung Sol??
    Groove tubes (not likely :jo)
    Mullard?

any tube tinkerers with tube-driven ODs have any thoughts??

2. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I've been using a V1 with my bandmaster for about two years. I changed 1 of the tubes out for an EH but the other is the russian Mesa. I swaped some GT's in there but really didn't notice a ton of difference.

Scott

3. re-animator

yeah, i think i might just go with some stock mesa tubes (since i'm trying to get a more mesa vibe out of it anyway) and get a feel for it.

4. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

allot of mesa's tubes are made by Svetlana, you can save a nice chunk of change getting some svetlanas loose of the ebays, instead of paying $22.00 for a Mesa boxed svetlana tube :)

5. re-animator

really? i thought they were sovtek?? haven't really checked prices on mesa tubes (or 12ax7s in general) but imagine its not that big of an issue.