New Tandler Beauty!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by ariki, Jun 15, 2008.

1. ariki

ariki Member

Hi Guys,

I could just manage to stop playing this guitar for a few minutes to take a few pictures. I just thought you guys might appreciate! I also have to disclose that I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this guitar.

Meet my new Tandler Beauty. I collected it from Joerg Tandler himself last week-end. All I can say right now is O-My-God! This thing is more than I hoped it to be. Joerg changed the default pickups on his Beauty models and they sure are great! (I have an older Beauty with the Fralins too, so I can compare.) [Edit: The new pickups are Fralins too, but Jörg changed the specifications about a year ago.]

I have considered going to the Les Paul vintage market for a while, but really, this thing is anything I would want from a Les Paul from the end of the fifties.

I essentially asked Joerg to build me a plaintop (he almost gets no orders for plaintops, apparently...) but in trade for that I asked him to make it sound terriffic :)
    I trusted his taste of sound and it came out fantastic.

OK, I expect you want some pics now:

[​IMG]

Here's what is non-standard about this baby:

[​IMG]

Unfinished back of the neck. Plays nice and smoothly....

Cheers,
    Wim

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Very nice!

Which pickups are now standard?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Very Sweet! Congratulations...

4. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Oh my god! Wim, I am speechless! This is the shizzle right there!
    Joerg Tandler's family is growing rapidly:)
    Im pretty sure that there will be no gibsons and gibson like guitars to compete with this beauty . And yes I am in love with my Morgaine strats built b Joerg Tandler!

5. RV52

RV52 Member

Congrats!
    That is a Beauty indeed.:dude

What is Joerg asking fo it?

6. ariki

ariki Member

Thanks!

This is the only pricelist I can find right now: http://www.cms-music.de/_english/tandler_preise.html

But I'm not sure how realistic these are. My Beauty cost less than the Beauty '59 given on the list. Probably because of the back of the neck, which was a bit less work for Jörg. I have the feeling that he really just charges for the amount of work he has. Very cool guy!

If you're in the US, I expect that these prices may seem somewhat high, but remember that a few years ago, dollar more or less equaled euro... His prices virtually haven't changed. Only the dollar has.

Cheers,
    Wim

7. ariki

ariki Member

You know what? I don't remember :jo
    He told me when I ordered them about a year ago but I forgot. I just liked the sound so much when I tested them in Jörgs own Beauty. I'll send him an email to ask :D

What I can tell you is that they are quite low-output (but this was actually true for the Fralins too). However, compared to the Fralins in my other Beauty they sound much rounder and a bit "woodier" too. (I'm not too good in putting sounds into words...) They can give you a *very* nice bluesy tone. IMO, they do this better than the Fralins.

I'll get back to you...

Wim

8. JimiStiff

JimiStiff Member

That's a real beauty! Congrats!

9. xroads

xroads Member

I have one where the top looks almost the same. Great great guitar; it can go from almost tele twang to full bore Les Paul sound.
    Did you order old growth wood?

10. ariki

ariki Member

It seems I spread a bit of misinformation about the pickups. It seems that Jörg still uses Fralins right now but he changed the specs of the Fralins that are specially built for him about a year ago to make them more vintage PAF-like. The current versions have Alnico5 magnets and Gibson bobbins. (If I translated correctly)
    So, all I can say now is that they sound pretty different from the Fralins he put in his Beauty models around 2000 (which is the year of my other Beauty). See my post above for a slightly more colorful attempt of describing the change of tone.

He has plans about developing a Tandler PAF with a German builder, but these are still in the prototype phase.

Wim

11. 3Sides

3Sides Member

I was in the process of ordering a Beauty in October of 2006 and the price jumped from $4700 to $5800 at that time. Also, when the price jumped to $5800 it no longer included a Brazilian finger board.

12. 3Sides

3Sides Member

I e-mailed Jorg about the old growth wood option and he and he said that all the mahogany that he was using on his Beauty was purchased in the early 90's and he had built almost of the Beauties with that.

My impression was that there wasn't an old wood option.

He did said he had one or two older logs in his warehouse, but was saving them.

13. xroads

xroads Member

OK, got it. I thought I have seen the 'old growth wood' option for this model somewhere, sorry.
    I have a 2003 Beauty, and it has 2-piece plaintop, 2-piece body, and brazilian board.

14. ariki

ariki Member

I can only agree with you. I really like how this guitar can clean up when you roll the volume back. I never experienced that in this extent with another LP-style guitar - I've gone through quite a few Gibson LP standards, Custom shop Gibsons LPs, vintage Gibsons, and early PRS single-cuts.
    Most of the time, the guitars did clean up, but the sound also got more muddy. Not with this one! I love that!

I did not order old growth wood. Jörg is a master in selecting which pieces of wood that fit great together and I did not want to limit his options in any way. Essentially, I told him that I wanted an amazingly sounding plain top with a faded brownish burst and I gave him complete freedom in his wood selection. From the Morgaines I already had, I knew what this guy is capable of. Apart from his "talent" he has of course also gone through rigorous German master luthier training :D

What he built for me in return is an instrument that essentially sustains forever. Really cool.

After I read your question yesterday, I sent him an email to ask a few more details about his wood - as I didn't want to start speculating. He wrote me quite a lot of information back which I'll have to digest first :D
    But I'll get back to you if you're interested.

Wim

15. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Hrggh! Wim you make me jealous:) ! We need more pics:)!!

16. tequilaboy85

tequilaboy85 Member

Gorgeous guitars.

How long do you waited to get it built?

17. emjee

emjee Member

18. ariki

ariki Member

Thanks!

I waited for about 10 months, I think.
    Considering Joerg only builds about 30 guitars a year, that wasn't too bad.

Wim

19. ariki

ariki Member

About the wood...

First of all, I must disclaim that I am not 100% sure what "old growth" wood actually means. Does it mean that
    (1) the tree was old when it was cut;
    (2) the wood is stored and air-dried for a long time; or
    (3) all of the above?

Anyway, all wood that Joerg uses has been air-drying at his own place for at least 10 years. He has pieces of wood that are older than 50 years and his Brazilian rosewood is all pre-CITES. (He bought a bunch of it when he started building from some other builder that had it lying around for a long time already and he's still using from that stash. I don't know what other wood he still has in this very old stash.)

Normally (and also in my Beauty) he's using Madagascar rosewood now. He picked a very nice piece for mine -- maybe I should post it...

So, his philosophy is that the wood he has, should go through the seasonal changes a few times to relieve the inner tensions in the wood. The better the inner tension in the wood is relieved, the more freely the wood will vibrate in the actual instrument. This is one of the reasons why these Beauties have such a good sustain :RoCkIn
    Another reason is doing a lot of work by hand. A good luthier's fingers feel a lot more than machines.

Anyway, back to the wood. Maybe it's also still interesting to mention that the wood should not be left untouched to dry for *too* long, because some elastic properties of the wood can get lost, which will have a bad impact on its acoustic properties. Apparently, this is the reason why the Stradivari and Amati violins have to be played daily to not lose their Tone... (And yes, these violins have Tone with a capital T. :D)

I hope that this was informative!

I, for one, am extremely happy with the time of great luthiers we are in. (I love the small company luthiers section here.) We have a choice between so many good builders... We're so spoiled! The dark side is of course that it makes coping with GAS not easier either.:D

Cheers,
    Wim

20. 3Sides

3Sides Member

That sums up what he told me as well. According to Jorg, "I'm mainly using wood which is at least about 10 years old - enough to make an outstanding guitar."