New Taylor on the way

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Gasp100, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I had posted a thread about finding a great sub-$1K acoustic and I got a lot of great responses. I actually went out and did some hands on testing and came away with the fact that I really like the playability of Taylor guitars. I also prefer the overall "less boomy" tone for the style of guitar I play (harder strumming, any single note stuff is 99% pick usage, etc...) testing their different lines and body styles. I compared against Martins and Gibsons in similar price ranges and felt that the comfort of the neck was a huge factor in my decision.
    My wife had a good amount of say in the purchase and it was a little tougher appeasing her aesthetic sensibilities -- she is not afraid to spend on something that is meant to last while I'm all about bang for the buck and care little for the looks and bling lol...
    I researched a lot and ended up going with a TGP members store (gigreadyguitars.com) / Killerburst here on TGP. I'm excited to see how this transaction goes down and I surely hope everything is great because I LOVE to support TGP members any way I can (and I also respect many TGP'ers opinions/experience much more than the common sales person at many MI stores).
    So we're going with the Taylor 526ce, limited edition.
    All Mahogany - I really LOVE the looks and the 320 series (Mahogany top / Sapelle sides and back) was VERY nice at GC. I'm hoping this might be a step or 2 up in quality and tone even higher! I absolutely needed electronics and after a ton of research and some critical listening of the most current ES system I believe this will work for my needs. I just noticed a thread about using a TRS -> XLR cable to get the most out of the Expression system, I might try that but this will be going through an AxeFX II at many gigs, not sure what my cable setup will look like at that point? I love the sound of a dread, but I find the body too bulky for me especially sitting. I was all set on the GA style but had a hard time finding a 524ce, then I happened on Killerburst's site and notied the GS (526ce) shape. I did MORE research and that sounds like a great combo for me -- maybe a little more depth and bottom end from the shape, but still not as bulky as a full dread.
    My wife wanted it to be significant and "special" so because this is a limited run of 100 (this one being #91) I have fulfilled all categories (this is a gift from my wife, anything guitar related from my wife is a rarity and NEVER gets sold lol!).
    So now the waiting begins. This afternoon I'm set to schedule some acoustic duos into the Fall and this is my impetus for getting said gigs!
    I will report back once it's in house - thanks for all of the help TGP!

2. Curt

Curt Member

The 500 series Taylors are beautiful and sound excellent.
    You're going to love it.
    Congratulations.

3. Bruce Lychee

Bruce Lychee Member

Recently purchased a 514ce and absolutely love it. I auditioned many Taylors (and once owned a 414ce) and the Mahogany/Cedar combo on the 514 hit the perfect spot for me. Good luck with your new Taylor. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

4. Vindicator9000

Vindicator9000 Member

Great choice. I can never fault someone for buying a Taylor.

5. royd

royd Member

congrats!

I hope the guitar is all that you're anticipating

6. crambone

crambone Member

Awesome!

Post pics when it arrives.

7. mischultz

mischultz Member

And thanks for highlighting another retailer. Always fun to find a new shop and spend a few minutes browsing and getting acquainted. Sounds like a fine guitar and an equally (more than equally, really) fine wife. Count your blessings and enjoy!

Michael

8. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Yep, great choice. Love my 714CE...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Carpalstunna

Carpalstunna Member

My wife bought me my 414ce for our 5th anniversary I will never sell it. I also really like the expression system and use a trs cable straight in

10. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Nice, mine was a 40th Bday present from mine. Good women...

11. joeprs

joeprs Member

Congratulations! And, yes, the TRS cable is definitely the way to go. I recently bought one and did a demo for my friends comparing the TRS cable to my Monster Acoustic/Electric guitar cable which proved better than a regular guitar cable.

The TRS cable won hands down. One thing I did was have the levels set similarly so the increase in volume would NOT be equated with better sound. I have a Loudbox 100 which has the XLR input. I had the tone controls all flat, for demo purposes, and the volume lower on the XLR channel.

Both of my friends agreed, the Monster cable sounds good, but the TRS cable brings out more of the natural wood sound of the guitar. One friend said it sounded like it does unplugged, only louder. I have to agree. YMMV

I have a BTO GS Cocobolo and it is not going anywhere, unless it's with me!

Good luck and play your new guitar in good health!

12. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Nice choice Greg ....all the best

13. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Silver Supporting Member

Did you get it yet? Did you get it yet? Is it there yet?..............

14. crambone

crambone Member

This, x1,000!!!

15. joeprs

joeprs Member

Patiently awaiting photos.:)

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Hi guys, got the guitar (ONE day transit from gigreadyguitars.com). I can highly recommend these guys, I got a great vibe conversing (via email) with them and everything was fantastic. The bad part is that I've been so busy with life: work, kids starting school, a few gigs -- I have barely had a chance to play the guitar.
    I put a few hours on it on Friday night and it's really fantastic.
    I will try to get some shots of it this weekend and maybe some quick clips (live iPhone and maybe some quick tracking using the expression system).
    Thanks! And especially thanks to Jon Stafford from www.gigreadyguitars.com

17. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com

Thanks for the kind words and so glad you are enjoying the guitar!

Oh, and here's a couple of pics of the guitar before we shipped it out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Nonvintage

Nonvintage Member

They have one of these at the factory tour shop. Really nice guitar.

19. crambone

crambone Member

holy crap, that Taylor is GORGEOUS. Very jealous!

20. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

Very nice choice Gasp...worthy of your name. ;)