New taylor solid bodies?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Audioholic, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Anyone have a solid opinion on the new taylor solids?

I am looking at mainly the entry level one (white), for use as a backup guitar. I would love their top tier entry, looks amazing, but price has me looking more at the entry level one.

thanks for any info.

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I played the entry-level version and was startled at how great it sounded. I had heard that Bob Taylor designed the guitar around the pickups, which is generally a lousy way to do things (a guitar should be designed as a whole, not to exploit one particular feature), but after the first few notes I realized why he said this. The mini-buckers sound great but can sound stringy at times, so they're not for everyone. However, the 5-way switching provides a decent range of sounds, even if none of them are particularly meaty. I'd actually reccomend the guitar more for Fender fans than Gibson fans.

The guitar was well set up, especially for Guitar Center, but I thought that the fret ends were left a bit sharp. Then again, I'm used to tiny vintage frets, so maybe I'm just not used to modern jumbo wire. I thought the neck had a nice medium profile, too.

Overall, I'd say it's a very reasonably priced guitar for the sound and the playability. The translucent white finish is an odd but attractive feature as well.

3. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I've had some good time with the Classic version. For one, it's very, very light. I agree with the Fender comment above, it's almost like a big, meaty Tele. Sounds almost nothing like a Les Paul. It's also very easy to play, if you like thin necks you'll probably love the Taylor. All around the build quality was excelent, as good as any PRS I've played. I'd probaby buy one if I had the money.

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Well, Tommy Shaw of Styx digs em' and I dig Tommy Shaw. :D Great singer and a hell of a guitar player.

I want to check one out even though I don't really like the look of them that much.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have played all three models several times at the local store. They all are fine guitars. Pretty versatile, but they didn't knock my socks off. However, they are pretty cool with some innovative design features.

Bob Taylor has a muse that must be a workaholic.

6. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I think that they're very well built guitars....but sales have been disappointing.

They seem to have an "identity" problem.

The fact that they're neither fish nor fowl doesn't trouble me personally...but I do think the fact that they're sorta of trying to be all things to all players confuses a lot of customers.

YMMV

7. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Nice

like I said, I will be looking for a backup guitar soon. Unfortunetally, I had to sell my Les Paul recently (backup) due to financial reasons, and once things pick up , I will need another backup. My main guitar is a PRS 24. I would love something to compliment it. I like the white least and wouldn't normally consider an all white guitar, but I find the taylor has class, specially the hardware.

My budget will be around the grand mark, am considering maybe a carvin or even ibanez as well, haven't had a chance to play a taylor since our local store doesn't stock them.

8. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

I played one. I was left with the overwhelming impression that it was a guitar.

It did nothing for me. Didn't hate it, but found no joy either - just a well made guitar.

At the same time, I played a PRS Mira and flipped, went head over heels in love.

Used Miras aren't too much over a grand (Heck, I got mine new for $1309), and they are a different yet complementary beast to your current PRS - I think you should check them out.

9. Paychek

Paychek Member

Did you buy the Mira online for $1309.

10. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

I'm sure they're incredible, they just look so darn weird. They remind me of the old Ovation solid bodies.

11. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

Nope, GC.

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I checked them out. I was left with the impression of a single cut with a bolt on neck for $2K. Godin makes the same for under $1K. So yes, an identity crisis. I want my single cuts to be set neck - no logical reason.

13. KazJY

KazJY Member

I like it - played the base model in white. It made a Fender Super Sonic sound freakin' amazing when I was at the store. I didn't like the SS with a Strat, so go figure. I just wish the back bout wasn't as big - I am used to an SG, and the size of the body (it's thin enough though) threw me off.

I wouldn't mind getting one of these someday. the new Taylor Wood and Steel magazine just came out - they are introducing a 3 single-coil model if that floats your boat.

14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Same here. I tried all three Taylors, and then some Mira's. The Taylors: meh. Well built but absolutely no soul or emotional pull for me. (And this is coming from a guy that owns and loves two Taylor acoustics). The Mira: absolutely awesome axe. I was totally blown away by the sound and playability. I now own an orange one, and it has become my number one.

A

15. shally

shally Member

tried one of the lower priced models in a store and then a guy who was in one of my performance classes brought one in..

all i can a say is "meh"...yes, it was nice, but nothing special. would far prefer to have something made by don grosh or tom anderson, used, for the price..

16. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I just can't associate Taylor with electric guitars. I'll go for the classic guitar brands anytime.

17. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

Really liked the sound and feel of the koa-topped custom, but I just couldn't get the neck to stabilize, and could not get the action low enough to play without buzzing... plus the bridge is a roaring pain in the ass to adjust.

took it back a week later...

18. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I stopped by my fav local acoustic haunt to pick up strings before a gig a few months back. They'd just gotten the Taylor solid bodies in. Having just warmed up for an hour on my R4 Oxblood before picking up one of these probably influenced my opinion a bit, but... "geh".... Kinda like my wife's "all the bells and whistles" Honda Accord - extremely well built, very functional, with absolutely no soul....

jb

19. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

The Taylor electrics are EXACTLY what I expected them to be, and I would describe them the same way I would describe their acoustics.

Very well made
    Easy to play
    Looks familiar, but not a clone
    Mass produced/generic feel
    Sounds good but not great
    No vibe

20. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I bought a Solid body Custom last year. Its my favorite guitar. I can push out some vintagey tones but the pickups arent like anything else available. They arent alnico they are neodymium magnets. The same magnets that are used to make those neo- uper light speakers. Taylor calls them High Definition Humbuckers, They are very clear but the output is actually high. Unique sounding. I have found my guitar in this guy. I still play a strat too and will probably get another les paul once I find the one that speaks to me, and my wallet:). Taylor has announced that a new HG high gain hmbucker is going to be available later this year so that players with the mini humbucker models can try some new flavr in the taylor solid bodys, they are supposed to be darker with higher output. I wouldnt trade mine for the world.