New TC doubler pedal announced

lakersrock

This is one of the coolest pedals I've ever heard when it's in stereo. I have no clue how they did it, but it's incredible. In mono, it sounds like a filtered slap back echo. This is the only time I've ever been sad I don't play in stereo. Back it goes, but if I ever have a stereo rig, it'll be the first pedal I buy.

lakersrock

There's no swirlyness with the Mimiq which is good, but the con is you can hear the other dubs come in and out of the stereo image a lot. If you set the pedal to 2 dubs and turn the dry signal off so you just hear the added guitar layers it will make you go batty. Even with the tightness set to the most tight sometimes you'll hear the huge rockin stereo image and then you'll hear guitar sound like it goes mono left, then mono right, and in and out, and over there just randomly etc. :dude
Mine would do the exact same thing.

bluenova

Second one tracks better, but the Keeley 30MS is where it's at for me. I think I'll still keep the Mimiq though and use it with my acoustic. That proguitarshop demo was pretty sweet on the acoustic in stereo.

If I could do my best to describe how the Keeley is different I would say that the doubled guitar parts can actually change pitch where the Mimiq just sounds like a different EQ, and where the 30MS delay time is at a constant specified amount of time the Mimiq seems like it varies the time and that has an affect on my brain of how wide the stereo image feels to the point of sometimes sounding mono for brief periods.

I run the 30MS with wet+dry on one side and dry on the other, pitch shift set to 0 with a 15 ms delay and the metal distortion sound is huge, it just slays, the Mimiq could get to about 75% of that awesomeness at its best.

bluenova

I'm still trying to figure out what this pedal gets me that a short delay with two or three repeats doesn't. :dunno
In mono I'd prefer the delay, you need to run this in stereo to really get what this pedal is capable of doing. Check out the proguitarshop demo out while wearing headphones.

I've been having a blast playing around with the Mimiq.

I'm having tons of fun not even turning it on...

You can leave the thing off, not even plug it in, run a mono guitar in and have your right and left out, so you can pipe your signal through 2 different mono pedals, one left channel and one right channel. The extra dimension and life you get out of combinations is unreal.

I have a feeling I'll use that in recording quite a bit to first separate out the channels, then mix them back center in varying levels to combine the sounds of pedals I like, but wouldn't necessarily run into each other.

Plugging it in and using the doubling effects are cool as well, the tightness knob was a little confusing at first, since cranking it lowers the tightness :) But other than that very easy to understand and use.

bluenova

Question for @Tore TC . I'm planning up a stereo acoustic board that will use both inputs on the Mimiq. Can you explain what exactly the pedal will do with my signal with the switch set to 1,2 and 3 dubs with the specific use of both the stereo ins. It was briefly touched on earlier but not in detail for each dub setting. Thanks!!

manatarms

I'm really interested in this pedal. This sounds very similar (but with even more options) to an effect I would get with my Rockman Stereo Chorus set to its wide mode with the slow chorus. I always used it for more of a doubling effect, than a chorus. It worked great with it. I always wondered if someone would come up with a pedal that did that kind of sound and this is it! Back when I used the Rockman rack stuff, I'd run the stereo chorus into the stereo echo. I'm thinking in this context, I would run this into a stereo delay and then into a stereo reverb would get similar, if not better results.

Iversen

I'm running a stereo setup from Corona Chorus > Triple Delay > Trinity > Ditto X2 > amps. Would you use the Mimiq before or after the chorus? In any case, has anyone tried using the Mimiq with a stereo chorus?

Iversen

I'm really interested in this pedal. This sounds very similar (but with even more options) to an effect I would get with my Rockman Stereo Chorus set to its wide mode with the slow chorus. I always used it for more of a doubling effect, than a chorus. It worked great with it. I always wondered if someone would come up with a pedal that did that kind of sound and this is it! Back when I used the Rockman rack stuff, I'd run the stereo chorus into the stereo echo. I'm thinking in this context, I would run this into a stereo delay and then into a stereo reverb would get similar, if not better results.

I had both the Rockman Stereo Chorus and Stereo Delay and that chorus sounded amazing, but I never realized that doubling was part of its magic. Perhaps the Mimiq with the Corona will get me there?

onedge custom

I put the Mimiq straight up against my 30MS. I run the 30MS in stereo in the double track pro mode which just adds 2 voices to the original signal with control over pitch and time. Love it but it has one con for me. I've always ran the pitch full counterclockwise or else it sounds a bit wooshy like a phaser is barely on with distortion tones. Especially noticeable with headphones on. Keep the pitch knobs all the way down and it's a rockin good time with distortion, but I want more pitch dialed in with clean tones.

Figured I'd try the Mimiq and see how I'd like it. There's no swirlyness with the Mimiq which is good, but the con is you can hear the other dubs come in and out of the stereo image a lot. If you set the pedal to 2 dubs and turn the dry signal off so you just hear the added guitar layers it will make you go batty. Even with the tightness set to the most tight sometimes you'll hear the huge rockin stereo image and then you'll hear guitar sound like it goes mono left, then mono right, and in and out, and over there just randomly etc. I can watch my mixer meter leds stay constant but the guitar localization is all over the place. It's just weird.

Plugged the 30MS in after a while and glorious 3D metal tones returned and all is right in the world and my inner ear again. These are just my honest unbiased thoughts. Be interested in hearing some other people's experiences. :dude

This is a spot on "critique" of the Mimiq... the effect is a nice idea and while I really wanted to like this pedal... frankly this "dub" effect coming in and out of the stereo field is unbearable. It's horrid and when it's happening the pedal is unusable. When your playing relatively quickly, it's not there... it seems to happen when you let a cord or note sustain, then it warbles in and out and sounds like the doubled image is dropping out. I am disappointed and will return for the Keeley 30ms delay

8len8

Lots of talk of folks trying the pedal with stereo rigs.

What about its usefulness in a mono rock rig to make 1 guitar sound like 2? Is it just a fast delay (doubler) at that point or is there more going on?

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
This is a spot on "critique" of the Mimiq... the effect is a nice idea and while I really wanted to like this pedal... frankly this "dub" effect coming in and out of the stereo field is unbearable. It's horrid and when it's happening the pedal is unusable. When your playing relatively quickly, it's not there... it seems to happen when you let a cord or note sustain, then it warbles in and out and sounds like the doubled image is dropping out. I am disappointed and will return for the Keeley 30ms delay

Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't want to have that panning effect on all the time.

onedge custom

Ok... got the Keeley 30ms today and in stereo (using the supplied breakout cable) and ABBY mode (wet left/dry right), reverb minimal, modulation about noon and this is the effect I want. Broad "metal" double track effect that is great for rhythm... Tore, maybe have a look and see what can be done to get rid of the stereo fad in/out with the Mimiq, the price is good and the packaging is better (the breakout lead with the Keeley is a pain) than the Keeley, but the way the Mimiq works is a poor second to the Keeley

manatarms

I had both the Rockman Stereo Chorus and Stereo Delay and that chorus sounded amazing, but I never realized that doubling was part of its magic. Perhaps the Mimiq with the Corona will get me there?
If you read some old interviews with Tom Scholz, his idea was for it to be more of a doubler than a chorus.

JamminPA

Silver Supporting Member
Taking all of this info in has me second guessing if i should get a Mimiq or not. I have a second amp inbound this Friday and I'm so looking forward to setting up a stereo rig. A Morgan AC20 Deluxe and a Suhr Badger 18 for my first even stereo rig. I hadn't even thought about the Keeley 30ms until now. Perhaps I'll end up getting both. Use the 30ms for electric and the mimiq for acoustic...damn 1st world problems..

Top Bottom