New Tech 21 pedals Any interest?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tuukkavain, Jan 25, 2008.

1. tuukkavain

tuukkavain Member

2. Hemispheres

Hemispheres Member

3. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Sounded good......wonder what he was playing into?

4. redpill

redpill Member

I dig. Thanks for the link. I could see myself using all four of these to go direct. Layer 4 tracks with 4 different amps simultaneously? Cool! Here's hoping they hit the market soon.

5. redpill

redpill Member

My guess is one of their Power Engines. Their stuff generally doesn't sound all that great in front of an amp - all the better, I say.

6. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

That would be fine with me.........I've been clamoring for a one amp-type single pedal that would work into a PA.......something I could tack onto the end of my pedal board.....for solo gigs and when I back up acoustic singer/songwriter types.

Surprised they don't have a "Blackface" style.

- Jim

7. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

That sounded great! Amazing range from that one control.

Terry

8. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

So, so they have a direct out with speaker emulation, or are they intended to be in front of amps (clean, or dirty?)?

It did sound good.

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

+1 That's the big question I have. In the past Sansamps have been meant to go direct, not into an amp. Although some people like them into a guitar amp.

10. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I tell you what.. Ive got a Tech21 Comptortion & its a GREAT pedal. I use it for that dumblish/zendrivish lead stuff... it works great in front of an amp.

Hopefully these pedals will be good in front of an amp & not too expensive. Tech21 is pretty high on some stuff

11. carltonh

carltonh Member

It sounds like they are trying to catch up with V-Stack, which is quite possible since not much is coming from V-Stack now it's part of First Act.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Nice. I'm a fan of Tech 21. They been doing analog tube amp simulation for longer than almost anyone. I'd like to hear the marshall pedal in particular.

13. OOG

OOG Member

they sounded very good in person

14. redpill

redpill Member

The CompTortion actually was designed to go in front of an amp. The SansAmp pedals generally are not. And I like them that way. Fingers crossed that these new designs follow that model. I have a great desire to go direct.

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Sounds real good would love to hear the Marshall style pedal!

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have an answer on when these might be out and more importantly can they sit in front of an amp AND be used to record direct. That would be killer!

17. redpill

redpill Member

Any of their pedals *can* sit in front of an amp. But thinking about it objectively, that's a losing battle for them to trumpet too much. After all, they have no way of knowing how it would sound through my amp, yours, and the amp of the guy down the street. Even if you were to bypass the preamp, a guitar amp is designed to color the signals passing through it.

That said, you can indeed find reviews of the SansAmp Classic and Tri-AC in which people put it in front of an amp and like the results.

I just hope that Tech 21 kept their focus on direct tones, as that is what they've always done really well.

18. redpill

redpill Member

Here's the answer:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2008-tech-21-showcases-new-sansamps-128230

They do include speaker emulation, so direct first seems like their focus. Tech 21 always says you can put it in front of an amp if you like as well (they're never going to say "No, don't buy our product"), but personally, I've never been thrilled with the results of going into a guitar amp with a SansAmp. Others may have loved the results they got.