New Tedeschi Trucks Band

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
Total respect for the TT band and all it's members, phenomenal musicians. They have a few tunes I really like, but unfortunately, the rest of it doesn't really hold my interest and seems to be a bit too much of the same thing. I'd still have no problem paying to see them. It all just kinda leaves me wanting to hear another Derek Trucks Band record continuing on with where they left off with Songlines. I prefer hearing those guys stretch out a bit more and play all the different styles they've explored throughout that catalogue. I hate to say it but in some ways those musicians' talents are wasted in the TT Band.

johnnyb128

$108 for a bar band? I don't mean to disrespect them, their music is great. I just thought they played clubs and small summer festivals,etc.
They aren't a bar band, they usually sell out two shows yearly at Fox Theater in Oakland (seats 2,800), Red Rocks, and I'm sure venues of equal size across the country. You may think they sound like a bar band, that's your choice and more power to you, but they don't perform at bars.

DRS

They aren't a bar band, they usually sell out two shows yearly at Fox Theater in Oakland (seats 2,800), Red Rocks, and I'm sure venues of equal size across the country. You may think they sound like a bar band, that's your choice and more power to you, but they don't perform at bars.
No sh*t
They fill 3000 seat theatres here. Austin City Limits. Don't twist facts because they're not to your tastes.

Creighton

Great band but they've become too formulaic. I think they'd benefit from letting some other singers in the band take the lead on a few songs and as others have said stretching out the tunes a bit to include some improv, add some acoustic songs etc.

zep41

I think Derek Trucks is one of THE guitarists to see live of this generation. A very rare and special talent. If you haven't seen TTB, you should go on that principle alone because he is incredible.

That all being said, I feel like TTB - while fun, dance able, and feel-good vibe is never a bad thing -- was so bland and predictable right from the start. Its like they are just recycling the same song over and over even within the same album.

I feel like I have heard this song about 35 times from them, just under a different guise.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
You may think they sound like a bar band, that's your choice and more power to you, but they don't perform at bars
That would be the Derek Trucks Band, which I loved/love.

I heard them at a bar in Mobile just after Javier Colon joined, they had about three albums out.

15 people.

ethomas1013

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm,I just feel like they're an above average band, with average songs.
I’m with you on the songwriting. Outstanding musicians, but most of the songs don’t resonate with me.

I always thought Susan’s vocals sounded like a poor man’s Bonnie Raitt (and I do like Susan’s voice).

I wouldn’t pay $108 to see them, but I think that’s a totally legit price for a band of their caliber and standing.

SkydogFan81

Silver Supporting Member
No way $108 is for the cheap seats. I've seen them since before the inception and previous solo bands. If you're not getting DT, you're missing out. Sadly, I have to agree: Top shelf muscians, but with mostly average songs. It's worth the price of admission to see them open up on the good songs, though. I wished they played "Don't Drift Away" more often.

Nebakanezer

So what y’all are saying is:
If the Adult Contemporary genre took over the Jamband World, the outcome is TTB?

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I've seen DTB and TTB several times. Sure miss DTB. I may see them in Sacramento in May with Los Lobos.

frennis

$108 for a bar band? I don't mean to disrespect them, their music is great. I just thought they played clubs and small summer festivals,etc.
This must be that famous magical TGP bar, where you can see elite caliber musicians playing in weekend cover bands, as good or better than (insert famous guitar player's name here).

soggywaffle17

I bought TTB tickets for $30 a piece for their Wheels of Soul tour this summer, and it included a free digital download of their new album when it comes out. Not front row tickets. Not a bad deal though.

I first saw Derek in 2004 I believe, a small venue in Gadsden, Alabama. Maybe 100 people there? I was 17 years old. Incredible! Totally changed my views on guitar, and music in general. Broadened horizons.

Love TTB, but man do I miss DTB. Songlines will always be a favorite.

FlyingVBlues

I've seen them for the past 3 years at the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts. Wolf Trap seats 7,024 and they have played to sold-out crowds every year.

PdL

Derek is an amazing guitar player but I have zero interest in TTB as they’re too formulaic & repetitive. I’d be hard pressed to cough up even $25 to see them live. However I’d drop 2 or 3 times that amount w/o a second thought for the opportunity to see original version of the DTB again. That small ensemble was a powehouse of dynamic playing & improv, and always delivered the goods @ their shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAT

Trending Topics