• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New The Who song - Be Lucky

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
Not real strong songwriting, but I agree with the sentiment above that it's cool that they're still doing it. Bits of it are reminiscent of other songs. Not bad for some old geezers.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
New music from The Who, and it actually sounds like vintage Who to a certain extent, unlike that overproduced, overblown Endless Wire. No orchestration and that's a plus. It actually sounds like an outtake from Quadrophenia. I want to hear more. Yes, Moonie and Entwistle are gone, but there's nothing can be done about that.

IceTre

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like post-Quadrophenia The Who, like "Who Are You". Glad Pete is writing new material. But he can do better. I think/hope he's just warming up with this one. Roger sounds good.

pale fire

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting this...been a fan for 35+ years.....enjoyed the song.....for any other fans, if you haven't done so lately, do me a favor and put on Odds and Sods.....or.......Who By Numbers....great, great albums that don't get the love that Tommy and Who's Next do.....

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for posting this...been a fan for 35+ years.....enjoyed the song.....for any other fans, if you haven't done so lately, do me a favor and put on Odds and Sods.....or.......Who By Numbers....great, great albums that don't get the love that Tommy and Who's Next do.....
I'm with ya...great stuff...and this song is easily recognizable as a Who song. Pretty good, won't crack my top 10 list of Who songs but not bad.

This has what it needs. Under other circumstances, perhaps an outtake from one of the major efforts, but this is good. Townshend (age 69) is old enough to be a grandfather, and still brings it as a singer/writer/player. Daltrey (age 70) might not be doing screams from the past, but that sound makes you feel like Kit Lambert's in the house.

2HBStrat

Yep, it sounds like The Who and at the same time reminds us, by what's missing, of the contributions of Moon and Ox. I kinda like it!

dag2000

Nice, forgettable b-side or rarity. As another poster observed, it's so nice to get some guitar-and-bass Who material. I'm so sick of that synthesizer that plagued Endless Wire. Pete Townshend has always been my favorite guitarist, both tone and playing. His tone on Quadrophenia (Gretsch 6120 into a Tweed Bassman iirc) is, for me, perfection.

Pete has written some great stuff in the past twenty years or so. Psychoderelict had some amazing material but was plagued by that stupid, ham-handed, amateurish dialogue. Ruined some great music, imo. Songs like English Boy, Let's Get Pretentious, and Make Me Real are just great songs with incisive writing and killer guitar work.

roadfilm

Sounds really good, I like it, Rog sounds great. "Be Lucky" is what Roger tells the crowd at the end of each show.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom