New TIM owner: Questions and Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by traynor_garnet, May 20, 2008.

1. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Just got mine (used) and tried it out over the weekend. This is THE pedal I've been looking for. VERY transparent and a great low gain od. I want to try it at 18 volts because apparently it's even more transparent with more juice.

My only complaint: volume changes with the guitar are only "ok." I would prefer to set the pedal for more gain and adjust the amount of dirt with my guitar's volume. To me, rolling back the guitar volume doesn't sound the same as having the guitar's volume up and the TIM's gain set lower.

Has anyone tried switching chips? Any reports on the differences?

TG

2. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

Hey

Umm, so this isn't really answering your question about switching chips... but regarding the dynamics issue (I mean this quite sincerely and think many people seem to miss it completely, despite its simplicity) - turn the pedal on, play a line as SOFTLY AS POSSIBLE with your pick/hand [exaggerate it!], then, play the SAME line AS HARD AS YOU CAN with the pick/finger [REALLY dig in].

I used to always think, na my effects/amp/volume pot aren't 'dynamic' enough - and it seems at one stage I completely forgot about MY control over the dynamics.

Just give it a try, you may be surprised?!

3. jockman

jockman Member

I think the Tim is fantastic, I wanted to know about chip changes, but the thought, if it ain't broke.....
    I have the drive knob slightly over 12 o'clock, so that at full guitar volume, I get a nice crunch, turn the guitar vol down and it cleans up very well in varying degrees, I then have the boost set up so that it will give a bit more dirt etc for solo's. The main thing I found is that you do not need as much gain as you think. The Tim seems to make your notes sustain so much more.

Jon

4. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I do this all the time. The mark of a great pedal is having it back off when play lightly. The TIM is so transparent that at low od levels and strumming lightly I cannot tell if it is on or not! :)

I was talking about something a little different and doesn't require you to alter your picking. Put your gain at 2 o'clock, now roll the guitar volume back a bit. It won't sound exactly the same as when your gain is at 11 o'clock and your guitar volume is maxed. Not a massive issue, but a good tube amp does this perfectly when cranked up.

TG

5. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

Glad to see your liking it.

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

What I like about the TIM is you can have the pedal set so there is a little grit but it still sounds clean. This has been really useful for me because now I can boost my amp and even though the TIm is kicking the front end and the amp is gaining out the treble and clarity of the tone doesn't sound that way.

The TIM also works great as a boost to my Fulldrive, the FD has the singy sustain going but sometimes can be murky, the TIM gives it a little lift and seperation, much like a good bra does for the ladies. I don't know how the TIM looks under sweater but the tone is happening.

7. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I think one of the under-mentioned qualities of the TIM is the EQ. I often use mine as a very slight gain boost but then adjust the amount of low end or chime/sparkle with the tone controls. It's really incredible. I was so excited to run an MDEQ in the loop of the TIM but I found that the internal EQ was so nice that I really had no use for the MDEQ.

8. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

My Tim is great for the vol roll of thing. I switched chips to the LM1458 (or something like that) and it made it warmer sounding. Chips are cheap and easy to switch in and out.

I keep the Tim on, all the time and use the boost side for solos

9. jockman

jockman Member

I 'think' I put the LM1458 in a MI-Audio blue-boy, and it did make a big difference, as you said made it warmer, but in the Tim, well, it's so damn perfect.....;)

10. jockman

jockman Member

Update, it was a LM833 as suggested by Mi-audio.