New to bass - effects?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by kwaping, Mar 6, 2015.

1. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

Can you please recommend some good effects pedals for bass? I understand bass has different requirements than regular guitar, both sonically and technically.

Ideally, I'd like to buy some pedals that work equally well with guitar and bass. Pretend like I don't already have a bunch of gear. :)

Thanks!

2. crackbass

crackbass Supporting Member

3. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Being a guitarist for decades with a bunch of different pedals and now filling in and setting up my bass equipment the two pedals I tend to use is an overdrive and flanger.

4. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

Any specific overdrive recommendations? I'm currently using a Catalinbread SFT but am open to others.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

look for overdrives that don't suck out the low end, which usually means dedicated bass overdrives and fuzzes, most of which have dry blend controls.

bass chorus can be neat for certain things (like covering cure songs) but use sparingly.

really though, most of the time the best effect is a good bass tone and nothing else.

6. Ivo

Ivo Member

How are you liking the SFT? I'm using a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes and it's pretty cool for both bass + guitar:

Also using an Echorec + Tech 21 Chorus.

Source Audio has some cool stuff:

Basically, bass sounds amazing with a variety of effects. :) Just have to choose what you want for the music.

7. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Wow. I've been sigged. That's cool.

Anyway, Buy a BOSS LS-2 and use whatever dirt you want with the blend mode.That method was recommended To me by the denizens of Talkbass, and it's worked well for me.

As for anything else, Well, see the quote above on my thoughts. :aok

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  8. Mark 63

Mark 63 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Octave pedal is nice for when you're playing up high. Most don't track on notes lower than low C, which means you cannot make them do a seismic-triggering version of Frankenstein.

9. gumtown

gumtown Member

Tech21 Vt-Bass and the Boss GT-100 multi effects, both work great on bass and guitar.
    I also use the Roland GR-55 guitar synth, on both bass and guitar.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Listen to Walter. I have been a bass player my whole life and a gigging bass player for 30 years. I have had loads and loads of pedals over the years and I currently have about 6 on my board. 90% of the time none of them are on. Since you are a new bass player, worry about learning how to be a bass player right now and worry about effects later when you may or may not need them. Get a good bass and a good amp and practice.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Yeah, I've been reading posts by Walter for awhile, and have yet to see him steer anyone wrong - the man has a depth of knowledge, and knows what he's talking about...

- georgestrings

12. s2y

s2y Member

Here's a cool octave sound from Pino. Tad dated with the keyboards, but hell of a fretless bass part.

Agreed that a chorus, an overdrive, octave, maybe a phaser. I never really used pedals on my bass.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Indeed. You should hear my subs George. Walter helped me out and now they are effin ridiculous. :aok

14. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Member

I think a fuzz or 2 is a must have. But also a reverb is really nice to fill in the sound and gives you depth. An octave down and up can be beneficial if you're doing a lot of solo passages. Then you need a flanger and or phaser to really get weird.

Basically, you can still use everything you do on guitar. Use more mids in your eq, not bass

15. gumtown

gumtown Member

Despite me having a massive range of effects at my disposal, I generally don't use them very much at all, a 3 second spot effect burst does more than smothering a whole song in muddy tones.
    If I do use effects they tend to be there to compliment the existing bass tone, leaving the bottom end drive un-effected.

That's where I think a multi-effects pedal would be good to get a taste of all the effects, so you can decide for yourself that you don't really need them.

Over the last 30 years of gigging, I have gone from pedals (delays/chorus) to mutli effects, to synths, then deciding effects kill my tone, to only using a drive pedal (Tech21 Vt-Bass) and only using the synth tones as an accompanying keyboard in the background and mostly leaving my bass tone alone.
    This lets me concentrate more on playing, putting more effort into technique and timing.

16. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

My bass amp has enough built-in effects that I don't think I would add anything more than a compressor. The amp is a TC Electronics BG-250 with built-in tuner, digitally emulated tube overdrive, and a downloadable "TonePrint" slot in which I currently have a sub-octave effect.

On rare occasions, I can see the point to putting a chorus, phaser, or delay on a bass (Pink Floyd's "One of These Days" is my all-time favorite bass delay song), but these are pretty uncommon. Most of the time, bass sounds best more or less clean.

Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who plays flatwounds and thinks Jamerson, Duck Dunn, and Carol Kaye had the best bass tones ever.

17. roverdog

roverdog Member

For me a compressor( I use an EB Multicomp set to tube sim.). An old BOSS ME-8B can give some interesting sounds.

18. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

One of the quickest giveaways that you're a guitarist playing at bass -obsession with bass pedals while still a newbie at bass. I'm three straight years into playing bass with my current band and IME, I too agree with Walter. The only pedal I have is an envelope filter and even that is off most of the time.

To answer your question directly, anything that doesn't attenuate your low end will be your best bet so tubescreamers are not your best choice.

My advice (worth what you're paying for it): your effort will be better spent getting better at bass.

19. rummy

rummy Member

There you have it.

20. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

My favorite bass pedals (in no particular order):

Tech 21 VT Bass
    MXR EVH Phase 90

Fulltone BassDrive

MXR Bass Envelope Filter

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe

EHX POG

EHX Micro POG

Boss LS-2 (anything is possible with this gem!)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015