• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New to Bigsby. Got tips?

pennylink

I just got my first Bigsby equipped guitar, a used Hamer Newport, and it simply won't stay in tune, especially the G, B and E strings. Even without touching the arm it seems to go out of tune. I do a lot of blues bends, but never had problems like this with the trem in my Strat.

Do you have any tips that might help?

I haven't changed strings yet as they're quite new, but probably should anyway as I don't know if the nut and bridge were lubricated. Should any part of the Bigsby be lubricated to make it return to pitch better?

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
If you haven't changed the strings, who knows if they were put on properly and stretched. Try that first.

Second, take it to somebody who knows what they're doing and make sure the nut is cut properly.

Third, put nut sauce or some kind of lubricant on the nut.

Fourth, use a roller bridge.

morglan

If you haven't changed the strings, who knows if they were put on properly and stretched. Try that first.

Second, take it to somebody who knows what they're doing and make sure the nut is cut properly.

I agree with all of the above except the roller bridge--they're notorious tone-suckers.

Shane Sanders

+1 on all that--also flatwounds will make it even less likely that a string will bind up at the nut or on a roller bridge.

Kiwi

Gold Supporting Member
All of the above, plus:

If you possibly can, use an .011 string gauge set. Heavier strings seem to return to tune better on my 6120.

=K

pennylink

Thans for the responses :) Which particular roller bridge would be a direct replacement for the Tune-O-Matic bridge that's in the Newport now?

Shane Sanders

Oh, please. I have one on my SG. Believe it or not, it still sounds great.
Me, too, on a 1983 SG Standard. I've heard some people say that it'll taper off sustain-wise on some bent notes but since I don't really bend much, it's not an issue for me. It had to do with the string touching the sides of the channel of the roller. I listened carefully to that guitar before I put the Bigsby and rollerbridge on and I really don't think I could tell the before/after even with a gun to my head. :)

Papajuice

Gold Supporting Member
One thing everyone that forgets when they use Bigsby's is they are not designed for major bends or dive bombs like a regular trem arm or a Floyd rose. A Bigsby is designed for little nuances to ad accent's not full and half step bends. I have them on 3 guitars and not problems you have to use nut sauce once in awhile and use 10's if not 11's.

Flogger59

Very stable in this case. Keep a wad of gum handy for when you change strings, use it to keep the ball end on the post while you use both hands to guide and wind.

1. crimp the ball end before putting it onto the bigsby. this will help keep the ball on the post.

2. use a capo to keep the string pulled tight from the bridge. then you can wind the string as you would normally around the tuner.

3. use 11s or higher.

4. get a 1" spring. for added spring height, put a penny underneath it.

Stratobuc

Spend a dollar on a big rubber eraser from Staples (or your local drugstore). I think they come two to a package. You shove that under the anchor point pins after you attach the string. Easy-peasy.

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Newport and it stayed in tune when I used 11's and just used the Bigsby for some warble. I now have a Monaco and I do the same with good results. 11's on the Newport were a little slinkier due to the shorter scale length.

Stratobuc

Not to highjack but have you used one of these yet? I am thinking of getting a couple for mine and was curious if it changed string tension or anything.

Why take the chance? Its definitely not stock looking. The eraser method works great, doesn't alter anything.

zumaboy

One thing everyone that forgets when they use Bigsby's is they are not designed for major bends or dive bombs like a regular trem arm or a Floyd rose. A Bigsby is designed for little nuances to ad accent's not full and half step bends.
Neil Young says hi... ;)

Danny W.

One thing everyone that forgets when they use Bigsby's is they are not designed for major bends or dive bombs like a regular trem arm or a Floyd rose. A Bigsby is designed for little nuances to ad accent's not full and half step bends. I have them on 3 guitars and not problems you have to use nut sauce once in awhile and use 10's if not 11's.
Neil Young says hi... ;)

Duane Eddy, too!

Danny W.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Most guys that have Bigsby's on their guitars don't use a roller bridge - but you could always try it out. Bigsby's work with many bridges.

Trending Topics