New to boutique gear; looking for a blackface sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ap1, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ap1

ap1 Member

I've been using a blackface Twin for years now, and have recently been encouraged to do some experimenting with boutiques whose design and sound is akin to that Fender model. I like a nice clean sound, which just starts to break up at higher volumes; for OD I'm happy just throwing a box in the chain. I've not had a chance to look at too much, just the Bruno Cow Tipper 45, which I do like.
    So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest similarly designed/sounding amps. They could be single or dual channel, heads or combos.

On another note, are there any amps which bridge the gap between, say, mass-produced and boutique? Or mass-produced amps which are a notch above the traditional workhorses yet whose prices don't quite reach the boutique level?

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The Cow Tipper is a great amp. Very, very refined sounding. Very smooth. Smoother than Fenders. Is that good? You'll have to answer that one yourself. They're very expensive and don't fit in the 'gap' you've described.

I think you may want to look at a few Heritage models. Some of them capture some very Fender-ish sounds. They are high quality amps but don't cost you an arm and leg--i.e., I think they bridge the gap you've refered to. They are a good value.

You should also check out the Reverend Hellhound and the Groove Tubes Soul-o-45. Again, well constructed, with some great Fender sounds but tremendous value, particularly when bought used.

3. Tinman

Tinman Member

You should look at David Allen's stuff at Allen Amplification. He has some great Blackface-type models. The Fargen Blackbird and the Clark Rockford are also worth checking out.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

5. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Allen Old Flame, end of story. If I were in the market for BF tone, I would get an Old Flame or an Encore, in a 2x10 arrangement. Actually, if I had the MONEY, I would buy one of the two of them and set it next to my Vicky. But alas, I am poor. I've had two experiences with Old Flames, and both were among the best BF sounding amps I've ever heard.

6. karmadave

karmadave Member

Big thumbs up on Allen Amps! Old Flame has Reverb, but no Trem. Encore has both. According to his website (www.allenamps.com) the Old Flame is undergoing some updates, due out in September. These amps capture the Fender Blackfacevibe with a few nice twists, such as the Raw control, which dials out the tone stack giving the amp earlier breakup and more grind. His prices are very reasonable and he also sell amps in kit form if you are so included to DIY.

-KD

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Allen Amplification.

8. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Also check out Top Hat.....the Ambassador 35 or if you need more clean headroom and less breakup the 50......I had the 35 and loved it.....took pedals better than anything I have owned. Next to the divided by thirteens I have now gone to I think Top Hats are great.....and the are priced right

9. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

Tone King Meteor II is a player in this league.

10. mprvise

mprvise Member

Check out the Bruno Cow Tippers if you want the best I've heard. I've got a CT22, and yes it SMOKES most everything else I've heard. :)

I actually have an Allen on order (Encore 2X10), so in about a month I'll be able to speak more to them. I've read nothing be good things and David has been great to deal with.

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm getting that BF itch again too. Most curious about the CT 35, as the 45 is such a knockout amp. (Sort of BF, but not really. Whatever it is, es muy bueno.) The Gries 35 watter and Michael Clark's Rockford are also on my "gotta try one of these" list.

12. hemlock

hemlock Guest

It's a discontinued model, but keep an eye out for a Carr Imperial. Awesome cleans with tons of headroom.

13. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I like a nice clean sound, which just starts to break up at higher volumes;

You might also enjoy playing a blackface Fender with less power and stiffness than your Twin. Try a BF Band Master, or BF Tremolux, from the 1960s. Neither are expensive.

=K

14. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

+1

For the price of a booteek amp you can still get a very decent blackface Pro Reverb... half the power of your twin. While there are some great new amps out there that get into this territory, none will be much less expensive than the real deal... and none will sound any better or, in most cases, as good as an old blackface IMO.

YMMV

<M

15. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Allen all the way.

16. ap1

ap1 Member

Lots here; this is obviously going to be a long and protracted search...
    And don't anybody say "yeah, and it never ends"

Thanks folks!

17. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

18. Roe

Roe Member

if you're in the US: allen
    otherwise: clark

19. gregc

gregc Member

Check out Mike clark, Clark Amplification also. He does things one way: RIGHT!

20. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

David Allen has taken the fender line from princeton on up and done what people would do "hotrodding wise" if they didn't want to "preserve" the vintage value. I've played the Sweetspot and the old flame both are killer amps.