• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

New-to-Cassette Recording question

seth3

Hello all,

Well, I just won a Tascam Porta 02 on Ebay, so I'm waiting for it to arrive. I have a pretty stupid, "new guy" question:

While one is urged to use High Bias cassette tapes when using a four track, is it essential (like, will it damage the unit if I use a standard cassette)? What are the benefits of using High Bias over standard?

Thanks!

Seth

stevel

You probably should buy one of those cheap de-magnetizer/cleaner cassettes and run it through there before you start working.

I used to use the CrO2 (Chromium Oxide) cassettes in mine, and ran it on the highest speed for recording - better sound quality.

Also, look for 30 and 45 minute cassettes, rather than 60, 90, or 120 - the longer tapes are often thinner and are more prone to jam up. IME, the shorter the better.

Steve

seth3

Thanks for the replies! I definitely am just learning all this, so any and all other free advice is very appreciated!

jb4674

I've got a stack of 11 Sony Metal SR Type IV 100 tapes brand new in the shrink wrap that I can sell you if you're interested.

Kevbo599

Gold Supporting Member
45 minute hi-bias tapes (not metal) worked best for me. Also pay attention to tape speed. These casette recorders are a good introduction to recording.

seth3

I've got a stack of 11 Sony Metal SR Type IV 100 tapes brand new in the shrink wrap that I can sell you if you're interested.
Oh, I think I'm set, man - but thanks for the offer!

Thanks, again, for the thoughts. I'm really excited to get going!

Hey, here's another question:

I have heard that Elliott Smith (one of the best, IMHO, 4 track recording results) had this trick where he would double track his vocals and then (and I have no idea how) "bump" one track so that it started a millisecond later than the other, giving his vocals a unique, sort of panned/reverbed/phased sound naturally.

How does one make one track start later? It's easy enough on Garageband (just move the recordings), but I cannot picture how this would happen in real-time on tape.

Any thoughts? Am I totally off base here? : )

taez555

I have heard that Elliott Smith (one of the best, IMHO, 4 track recording results) had this trick where he would double track his vocals and then (and I have no idea how) "bump" one track so that it started a millisecond later than the other, giving his vocals a unique, sort of panned/reverbed/phased sound naturally.

How does one make one track start later? It's easy enough on Garageband (just move the recordings), but I cannot picture how this would happen in real-time on tape.
When bouncing the track down, bounce just the vocal track through a quick delay.

Or you could simply record the 2nd vocal pass with a 100% wet delay set to a short 10-20ms delay to start with. When you're limited by only 4 tracks and dealing with a degraded signal with each bounce, this actually may be the best way to do it. Although... experiment, that's the fun of a 4-track. :)

seth3

Great idea - I've thought about adding delay, but doing it that way would be really an interesting experiment.

Would analog be okay for that? I've been considering getting a Way Huge AP for a while...

taez555

Would analog be okay for that? I've been considering getting a Way Huge AP for a while...
For the effect you want, since it's such a quick delay it's almost inauditable till you play it side by side, I'd probably use an outboard rack effect where I could dial in the delay to the exact ms, but there's no reason a delay pedal wouldn't work if you can get a 100% wet signal and a quick enough repeat.

Again, it's all trial and error. Use your ears and experiment. I had a porta-03 for years when I was High School and it's amazing what you can do with only volume and pan when you're forced to make due. I used to use my guitar rack effects as a preamp into it first to get all sorts of cool sounds.